be carefull what you eat while shooting

colin lad

went out pigeon shooting monday

as we were wandering around the farm i thought i would have my ham and pickle sarnie while on the move,

anyway about half an hour later i noticed a lump of branston pickle had fallen on my nice new (well new to me) o/u

so pulled my sleeve down and wiped it off only to wipe the bluing off my gun were it was gutted

colin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not good mate :/ ( vinegar acid in the pickle) ?

Had a mate who bought a new semi auto and decided to use Jenolite on the gas plug to remove the carbon :good: I told him to be very carefull around the bluing,he picked the barrel up with Jenolite on both hands :/ and had 2 perfect hand prints wrapped around the barrel :yes: BB

sounds a bit more toxic than pickle, sure it wasn't a passing pigeon voiding in your direction

was wondering what it was when i saw it so smelt it and it defiantly smelt like branston unless pigeons droppings smell like it in which case i will be careful next time i am offered a cheese and pickle sandwich lol

colin

Vinegar has long been used in various dilutions to remove blueing from gun parts by the diy brigade in the USA.

I have dissolved wire wool in vinegar to make leather dye, so in its constituent form in your Branston, clearly still acidic enough to destroy blueing, which is in itsekf a firm of rust.

Sorry to hear that Colin.

Watch out for Insect repellant containing deet too, this eats paint and plastics.

Vinegar has long been used in various dilutions to remove blueing from gun parts by the diy brigade in the USA.

I have dissolved wire wool in vinegar to make leather dye, so in its constituent form in your Branston, clearly still acidic enough to destroy blueing, which is in itsekf a firm of rust.

Sorry to hear that Colin.

Watch out for Insect repellant containing deet too, this eats paint and plastics.

+1 on the deet. My wife sprayed it on her arms then lent on the mac book whilst she sent some emails. In that short space of time it had melted the plastic surround. Scary.

When the sa80 was being trailed it was noted that the plastic cheek pad on the butt had a tendency to melt when used in tropical climates, this was because of the repellant being applied to your face and then your face coming into contact with the plastic,a modification was made with a suitable plastic that did not react.

Some deet sprays can make a bic pen a blob of melted plastic scarily fast.

If you had ever visited the Branston Factory there would be no worries about eating it anymore , My sister in law visited and has not touched it since !

I think the same could possibly be said about the processing of food in general.

The mature cheddar cheese we used to make had many applications, such as sweepings up being processed for flavourings for crisps etc and toppings for pizzas. The fat which remained after the separation of curds and whey being used in the cosmetics industry and the remainder being used in baby foods and Mars bars.

Hasn't done anyone any harm.....so far. :whistling:

Edited by Scully