Magpies

owo1-man

Just watched a pair of Magpies walking along the gutters over the road from me, they stopped at every roof tile and shoved their heads up inside the gap between bargeboard and roof, the local starlings were going mental and then hey presto out came a chick, up onto the roof with it and pulled apart, then they resumed where they had left off.

Crafty killing machines.

as a guest on a shoot once, I was told off by the owner as I shot the magpie and left the covey of english that went over,

my reason was you can see the partridge next week, the magpie wont fly low next time.

keeper thanked me.

Shooting pigeons other day all made me smile then a jackdaw bigger smile then a magpie made a rare mistake and flew within about 25m of hide dropped it first shot jumped up woohoo get in I shouted, couldn't help myself I hate em and farm has loads. I keep having a cull with air rifle but I can't keep up with em!

I don't hate them at all, they are just doing their thing and they have their place in the grand scheme of things - and they are beautiful looking birds too. But when there are too many in an area, paticulally if there are seasonal gluts of food, the numbers need to come down or they start to cause problems when the food supply goes.

Whilst I will happily admit that they are a beautiful bird to look at (Especially close up when the sun brings out the colours on them) I have to admit that I hate magpies with a passion and will go out of my way to shoot or trap as many as possible because of the way that they can (And often do) decimate the songbird population! I'm sure that there are many other predatory birds that steal songbirds eggs and kill their chicks but magpies are notorious for it and (In my opinion) should be culled at every oportunity!

I don't hate them at all, they are just doing their thing and they have their place in the grand scheme of things - and they are beautiful looking birds too. But when there are too many in an area, paticulally if there are seasonal gluts of food, the numbers need to come down or they start to cause problems when the food supply goes.

Very true, in our area they are grossly out of proportion and do need thinning out. Unfortunately its the suburbs so shooting is out (unless they come into my garden) but they are too crafty most of the time.

Very true, in our area they are grossly out of proportion and do need thinning out. Unfortunately its the suburbs so shooting is out (unless they come into my garden) but they are too crafty most of the time.

You seem to see loads in towns now. I keep shooting them around our chicken run but they are clever birds and seem to know where to sit so there isn't a safe back-stop. I shot 4 last week but there are another 4 regular visitors and when the chicken food isn't available they'll turn to the tits, blackbirds, sparrows and finches in the hedges. I wouldn't mind having the occasional one visiting but 8 is not right.

+1 for some reason you see 6 or even more these days working the trees, what chance have these songbirds got.

Years ago you would see 1 or maybe 2 together but the numbers have quad rippled.

Our bluetits behind the house were decimated a day after they came out of the nest box... Gutted.