Police Helicopter

OJW

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urban legend sorry!

Mike.

Claim: A hand-held police radar unit successfully tracked a military aircraft on maneuvers, nearly causing the aircraft to fire a missile in response.

content-divider.gifred.gifFALSE

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp#JAa6kW52My218jZX.99

didnt make it up it was in the EDP a few years ago !

digressing slightly.......several years ago when the Americans were based at Lakenheath with their A10 tank busters...they used to patrol the approaches for the jets bringing their troops back......

anyway a couple of plods were on duty on the road to Elverden doing speed trap and they got board and pointed the radar gun at one of the A10,s flying low near them...so they stuck the radar gun in the air to see how fast it was going..!!!

welll.....the A10 flipped a right standing on one wing, then stood on its left wing..dropped 3 flares out then dived down to the plods in the wood, the gattling gun was turning and ready to fire...then pulled up at the last second...

when the boys got back to Wymondham HQ they were ushered into the supers office where there was an American airforce officer...who very "testily" told them that they were within 1 second of been blown away as the onboard systems identified the radar gun as a "lock on"

lucky boys eh!

almost identical story to the A66 lock on story..........

OJW what colour was it? Western power operate the same type of aircraft but they are all yellow and fly very low and slow checking the power lines. If not them the military flying schools use Squirrels in the same colours as the police, blue and yellow.

If it was police and as low as you said you would have seen police written in the side.

Harry

Not police nor army but some years ago an anti shooting neighbour to our club shoot flew his perspex bubble copter back and forth along the boundary of one of our almost impenetrable drives. Certainly put more pheasants in the air than the beating team ever manages.

Blackpowder

Not police nor army but some years ago an anti shooting neighbour to our club shoot flew his perspex bubble copter back and forth along the boundary of one of our almost impenetrable drives. Certainly put more pheasants in the air than the beating team ever manages.

Blackpowder

Did you give him a brace of pheasants and the date of your next day , it would have been well worth it :good:

I have been spotlighted by one, late one night shooting rabbits on a golf course using 2 lamps. Hovering at around 100 feet. I switched the lights on so that it could land if it wanted to, unloaded the rifles and stood in the headlamp beam. He flew off, I did see the green keeper when I left and explained what had happened but he said no one had called him. I had advised the town Police station when and where I would be, since then I dont bother with that.

A

The national grid fly along power lines looking for heat spots and problems

a lot of the helicopters will be on "linewatch" they constantly patrol the infrastructure, running the gas & fuel pipeline network across the UK, you would be surprised what's under your feet, this is just the published data, some other lines not on maps. Quite easy to fine the locations http://www.hse.gov.uk/pipelines/markers.pdf have a look around when your out they are all over.

http://www.linewatch.co.uk/pipeline_network.php

Edited by chrisjh

Did you give him a brace of pheasants and the date of your next day , it would have been well worth it :good:

He had been offered a brace in the past but declined. His next outing was to lie in wait with digi camera to see if we crossed his boundary, two members did in search of a wounded bird and were recorded by the guy. Fortunately they had left their guns on our side of the boundary.

Blackpowder

The paranoia on here does make me chuckle...

At a £1000 an hour it is highly unlikely to have been called out for a person with a "gun" or similar, unless already in the area, and just "helped out"

That would account for 99% of the time. I can believe the odd 1%, especially if you live in, shall we say, a not so nice an area.... Generally it's plod with a silly hat who gets sent out first. Unless, the coms operator has enough ba*** to get a lazy a**** armed unit to actually do at least one job during a shift. Not that I'm saying they're all lazy that is.... :ninja:

The paranoia on here does make me chuckle...

At a £1000 an hour it is highly unlikely to have been called out for a person with a "gun" or similar, unless already in the area, and just "helped out"

That would account for 99% of the time. I can believe the odd 1%, especially if you live in, shall we say, a not so nice an area.... Generally it's plod with a silly hat who gets sent out first. Unless, the coms operator has enough ba*** to get a lazy ***** armed unit to actually do at least one job during a shift. Not that I'm saying they're all lazy that is.... :ninja:

yeah, in this day and age plod dont bother too much about reports of a man with a "gun" do they............. :whistling:

yeah, in this day and age plod dont bother too much about reports of a man with a "gun" do they............. :whistling:

That depends, Is it not fair to assume that someone clad in camo gear holding a "gun" in a rural area, like a field would be treated differently to the same person being seen walking down your average town centre...... :whistling: ......... :rolleyes:

That depends, Is it not fair to assume that someone clad in camo gear holding a "gun" in a rural area, like a field would be treated differently to the same person being seen walking down your average town centre...... :whistling: ......... :rolleyes:

It is not. Witness the members on here who have been disturbed while going about their lawful business :yahoo:

Spanj, Jamie is right. We get loads of calls we get relating to people shooting even in rural areas and the helicopter gets sent to very few. It would mostly be at night and that's just because it can check big open areas in darkness a lot quicker than officers with torches. This actually saves money compared to the number of officers/hours you would need to search it properly on the ground.

I think quite a few members on here are paranoid that if they see a helicopter when they are out shooting its for them.