How far does no.6 shot travel at around 45 degrees???

Thatguy

A regularly quoted figure is 300 yards. But I've had shot land on me from close to 600 yards away before now, in the right wind

This is scientifically impossible with the speed of shot the balistic coefficient it will not travel 600 yards the recommended safety distance for a shotgun range is 275 m .We have stands facing each other at our local club ,DTL faces a sporting set up at 500 yards and the shot has never reached each stand

Deershooter

A difinitive test was done a few tears back and the results were , that no 6 shot would under ideal conditions travel 260 yards and no 7 shot would under ideal conditions would travel 240 yards . Clay grounds have to have a safety zone of of 300 yards . You most certainly did not get hit from shotgun pellets at 600 yards even if a gale was blowing .

Harnser

A difinitive test was done a few tears back and the results were , that no 6 shot would under ideal conditions travel 260 yards and no 7 shot would under ideal conditions would travel 240 yards . Clay grounds have to have a safety zone of of 300 yards . You most certainly did not get hit from shotgun pellets at 600 yards even if a gale was blowing .

Harnser

He might have done as we know people on here have shot hares at that distance with an air rifle, true story.

Surely a faster shotgun cart will double the distance of the shot travel, as ballistics become defunct past 1500fps :lol:

You would be fine at 300 meters from houses even with wind.

Try a online search as tests have been done, BASC site may have the info.

Figgy

faster the shot start speed ... faster it slows. something to do with crud bc and Newton ( or was it Einstein?)

Seems by 60 yards the +300 fps hair raiser is at about the same velocity as the tortoise shells.

I am more interested in how you are going to limit your shooting to only birds at a 45 degree angle :)

I was always led to believe that the optimum angle for maximum trajectory was 45 degrees, however I could easily be wrong on that.

Maybe the OPs question might have been better worded as " What is the maximum distance shot fired from a 12 g shutgun will travel" as I guess that is what he was really wanting to know..

As a "general rule of thumbs" I like to allow 300 yards as a "safety zone" when using a 12 bore!

Hi

Don't wish to disagree or cause a argument

But

This all depends on geography

Not maths

All the best

Of

Yep, obviously we're talking of flattish ground over the distances in question here. Why not try a couple of shot size calculations and see what you think - not difficult as the cube root of a figure can quickly be found by Google.

After all, if you're going to shoe 5 horses, how many shoes would you need to take if maths didn't come into it?

Guest stevo

I use a much simpler method . That has yet to fail me . It goes something like this ......

If im worried . Or feel the need to get a tape measure and a calculator to work out whether my shot is going to cause a problem .I quite simply wont shoot it . Its less hassle to put a gas banger there . At the end of the day its me that will get my wrist slapped not the farmer .

We all know the saying .. if in doubt . dont shoot .

You also have to consider that houses maybe 500 yrds away . But to a member of the public sitting there on a Sunday morning with his coffee and paper . He could hear a birds scuttling around his roof . and hear and see you shooting . And as far as he is concerned its your shot hitting his roof . Or thats what he could be telling the old bill .

Edited by stevo

Yep, obviously we're talking of flattish ground over the distances in question here. Why not try a couple of shot size calculations and see what you think - not difficult as the cube root of a figure can quickly be found by Google.

After all, if you're going to shoe 5 horses, how many shoes would you need to take if maths didn't come into it?

As I said geography

The op asked how far no 6 shot will travel

Not how many shoes I need for 5 horses

And the point I was attempting to make was very much as

Stevo put it

Thanks

All the best

Of

As I said geography

The op asked how far no 6 shot will travel

Not how many shoes I need for 5 horses

And the point I was attempting to make was very much as

Stevo put it

Thanks

All the best

Of

Ah! I understand now: I thought when you said geography I thought you meant the terrain. However, the fact remains that if you have no idea of how far shot can be expected to travel any safety distance assessment is impossible.

how far does shot travel

7 miles from my gunshop :D:lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably the definitive answer

Hi wymberil

As I said in my post geography I also said I dident want a argument

However

I am aware or the distance shot will travel and the recommended safe distance

Generally given to be 300 yards with a standard load and cartridge

However if the geography of your ground is that you are on the top of a cliff gravity will take over and you will have to put that in the equation

I don't believe that you need a higer maths degree to do the sum

All the best

Of

Hi wymberil

As I said in my post geography I also said I dident want a argument

However

I am aware or the distance shot will travel and the recommended safe distance

Generally given to be 300 yards with a standard load and cartridge

However if the geography of your ground is that you are on the top of a cliff gravity will take over and you will have to put that in the equation

I don't believe that you need a higer maths degree to do the sum

All the best

Of

Rocket science that :good::lol:

300 yards is a safe bet unless you're flighting pigeon on top of the Shard.

We reguley flight pigeon to roost

Can't shoot them from the bottom of the cliff so we go to the top and shoot out at them and down on them

On a still calm evening after what seems a age the shot can be seen hitting the sea

It is a lot further than 300 yards out and down

On a safety note the falling shot is just that similar to spent shot at a clay ground and we always have a dog and man on the beach to ensure safety and pick up birds

All the best

Of

I know its not the shard but its awesome fun

When you've got over the vertigo and got your head around pigeons Being beneath your feet

Edited by Old farrier

Are you allowed to shoot lead shot over water in England or into the sea? Know its illegal on wildfowl but not sure with pigeons.

The laws of this country are beyond belief sometimes, no common sense applied at time of legislation.

Figgy

Are you allowed to shoot lead shot over water in England or into the sea? Know its illegal on wildfowl but not sure with pigeons.

The laws of this country are beyond belief sometimes, no common sense applied at time of legislation.

Figgy

The man is standing on the top of a very high cliff and shooting down at pigeons, a man and a dog. Where the devil do you think common sense is about to turn up?