Beavers

Reece

Beaver reintroduction  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should beavers be reintroduced into Britain?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Recently, the Scottish Beaver trial finished. Beavers had been reintroduced to a site in Scotland and monitored for a few years. In May next year, a decision will be made by the Scottish government on how to proceed.

There are proposals to do a similar reintroduction in Wales, and there have been calls for it to happen in England as well.

Now, it looks like the RSPB is backing future reintroduction of beavers into Scotland.

Personally I support the reintroduction, as they are a native species which can bring a lot of benefits to other native wildlife.

I was wondering what PW members thought of a possible beaver reintroduction. I thought it might make an interesting discussion.

In full support ‘But’

I am all for re-establishment provided appropriate habitat can be found for our once native species that have become a suitable prospect for reintroduction.

However how do you convince a species that their movements should be restricted? So sites must be chosen with extreme care and also what about the furore when you have to start culling those that as will always happen, start to invade new territory or if the population becomes so large that the original site cannot support them?

For me then a great ambition but with the potential of opening a massive ‘can of worms’! The best of luck to those taking on such an admirable task.

An important thing to remember about beavers is that they are not picky about habitat, and there is a lot of habitat for them already. All they need is water with woodland on the edge, as they rarely venture far from the water.

They also tend not to disperse for long distances over land, at least that has apparently been the case in other European countries where reintroductions have been successful.

as long as they control them if they are a problem unlike the wild boar in the forest of dean

But that is the big problem, u won't be allowed to control them. No matter how numerous they are.

I don't see the point, if UK or Scotlands wildlife was thriving and wee had money to burn then Yes but the country is skint and most wildlife (that is not vermin) is in freefall population wise

Doesn't matter wether song birds, waders, hedge hogs all really strugg;ing.

Scottish wild cat probably only 400 tops(if ur very lucky) left yet no one give a ****, more rare panda's than wild cats.

Caperca;llie will probably be extinct also in the next 10 or so years

Both the above are easily save able if the will was there. (wildcats biggest problem is interbtreeding with tame domesticated cats so nueter them, and caper is predatation esp Pine martins)

Even the Red squirrels days are probably numbered unless folk get there finger out,we still have reds but id=f this squirrel pox virus gets into the central belt greys its game over.

Just typical nonsense from pretend conservationists as long as 1 or 2 'special' animals/birds are doing ok to hell with the rest

Recently, the Scottish Beaver trial finished. Beavers had been reintroduced to a site in Scotland and monitored for a few years. In May next year, a decision will be made by the Scottish government on how to proceed.

There are proposals to do a similar reintroduction in Wales, and there have been calls for it to happen in England as well.

Now, it looks like the RSPB is backing future reintroduction of beavers into Scotland.

Personally I support the reintroduction, as they are a native species which can bring a lot of benefits to other native wildlife.

I was wondering what PW members thought of a possible beaver reintroduction. I thought it might make an interesting discussion.

I`m sorry but there is a lot of rubbish, probably not your fault, in the above.

Beaver have been released illegally in many areas of Scotland. They are a danger in many areas causing damage and possible problems with both physical harm from their undermining of banks and dangers from falling trees and impaling on their gnawing of trees along with zoonotic problems that are spread from beaver to humans and dogs.

I`m sorry but there is a lot of rubbish, probably not your fault, in the above.

Beaver have been released illegally in many areas of Scotland. They are a danger in many areas causing damage and possible problems with both physical harm from their undermining of banks and dangers from falling trees and impaling on their gnawing of trees along with zoonotic problems that are spread from beaver to humans and dogs.

They have been reintroduced legally to a site in Knapdale forest. There are some on the tay where their origin is unknown, which was probably either escapes or illegal release. But the fate of the tay beavers will depend on the outcome of the legal trial.

They are a native species and were present for thousands of years without causing any "damage". And reintroductions in over 20 European countries have been largely without major problems.

But that is the big problem, u won't be allowed to control them. No matter how numerous they are.

I don't see the point, if UK or Scotlands wildlife was thriving and wee had money to burn then Yes but the country is skint and most wildlife (that is not vermin) is in freefall population wise

Doesn't matter wether song birds, waders, hedge hogs all really strugg;ing.

Scottish wild cat probably only 400 tops(if ur very lucky) left yet no one give a f *ck, more rare panda's than wild cats.

Caperca;llie will probably be extinct also in the next 10 or so years

Both the above are easily save able if the will was there. (wildcats biggest problem is interbtreeding with tame domesticated cats so nueter them, and caper is predatation esp Pine martins)

Even the Red squirrels days are probably numbered unless folk get there finger out,we still have reds but id=f this squirrel pox virus gets into the central belt greys its game over.

Just typical nonsense from pretend conservationists as long as 1 or 2 'special' animals/birds are doing ok to hell with the rest

Can't see it ever happening the gov will listen to scottish natural heritage in the end and they are dead against the introduction of mammals. when I worked for them I argued that there was a case for introducing red Sqirrels to the woods of Stornoway Isle of Lewis but they were less than keen. mind you Sea Eagles!

Edited by islandgun

I despair.

I oppose 99% of reintroductions. They are unnatural. There is no native beaver dna in the uk so it is the same as introducing a non native species. Bad science.

Nice Beaver, Yeah just had it stuffed! Frank Drebben, and that Presley chic, CLASSIC.

Nice hooters!

The knapdale project is an interesting one as they have caused flooding and significant change to the woodlands , some say for the good others not convinced.

Contrary to common misconceptions we don't have a lot of native riparian woodland in the uplands most has been over grazed for centuries by sheep and deer.

If they are to be re introduced then there needs to be a management system put in place that if they are are damaging farming , forestry or fishing then they can be trapped and controlled.

It would also need to be agreed at what population levels after re introduction can they be legally hunted for meat and skins ?

Great topic for conversation

Got to be asked -

Anyone eaten beaver ?

Simply Awesome !

I have a cousin that lives in Alaska, she was recently posting on Facebook that she had been eating beaver. All the inevitable smutty comments followed, a she expected.

The following day I saw her mum and said Her daughter had been eating beaver.

"Oh no" she said, " I don't think I would fancy doing that"

"I would imagine it to taste a bit like fish"

I wet myself. :D