Behind closed doors.....

Scully

I'm constantly amazed at the things blokes have in their sheds, and even more so when it turns out I've known these people for years and didn't know what they got up to in their sheds.

For example: amongst other rebuilds, an electrician I know just a stones throw away builds VW campers, and had one featured in a National VW magazine some time ago.

Another local who emigrated some time ago and has recently died, tuned race bikes for TT competitors, while another garage owner and former TT rider I know well collects and restores tractors, and the buildings around his home are littered with dozens.

The bloke who built my Landrover salvages and restores steam wagons in his spare-time, and the bloke who is his main mechanic builds sheds in his shed!

Yesterday I called at a local farmers whose land I've been shooting for years to ask where the old rusty, overgrown Nuffield had gone as I'd wanted to paint it, only to be told he'd sold it. He said if I was interested in old tractors he said I could have a look in one of the outbuildings where he had 'one or two'. I went to photograph an old nettle hidden scrapped Major in a small paddock round the back while he finished his breakfast, then he opened up the shed.....'one or two'?! There must be upwards of 30 tractors in there, plus who knows how many others in bits! Ellis, Fordson Major and Super Major, Super Dexta, Nuffield, Fergie (of course) etc etc, ranging from around the 1920's up to the 1960's. Impressive collection.

What do you do in yours?

Mine is pretty chocca with tools, useful-one-day stuff, never going to be used stuff and stuff I don't remember I have. There's no room to work so I do that outside (or inside the house if it rains).

I need a skip.

I have a one bedroom skip for sale.

Mine has a floor I'm sure have seen it once but mainly it's full of **** like most I think ;)

I may clean it out at the weekend but I'm not holding out finding anything of real value.

My 17 mm long reach socket would be a score though ;)

In mine I have my skyline that I have spent over 15/20k on it. I would say it only need 2k if that left to spend to finish it. I have the money to do it but I dont because it drives the people mad that no I have it and I will not bring it out lol.

Funny old world

There was an ex builder who lived just down the road from me retired in his sixtys though ill health I went to see him one day for something and he showed me in some of the many sheds that he had in his garden he must have had about 8 sheds all about 10x8 foot and all full old tools and projects that he was making.

He also had a big double garage with an attic space all full of wonderfull junk it was majic just looking around there and talking to him then a few months latter I heard that he had died and his wife had not intarest it it so she sold off a few bits but most it went in to skips and was taken away so sade to think that he had been saving all of this stuff up for fifty years or more only for most of it to end up being thrown out.

fill it full of very important stuff ,that I cannot remember putting there . but that will come in useful

EVENTUALY

+1 :yes:

Although, when changing the track rod ends on the Mrs car the other week, I asked my next door neighbour second house up for a trolley jack (as I'd lent mine to immediate neighbour, who was away. Typical!..) He pulled out "from memory" a 4 tonne trolley jack!! Turns out he's a retired mechanic/MOT tester. Said I had a knocking noise under Mrs car to. Told me, in his experience it was most likely the drop-links. Changed them to (£6 each!) and the knocking noise has gone. Car handles so much better to! Top bloke!!

Jamie

Edited by jam1e

My shed is a little like my mind, full of very useful and interesting stuff but I can never seem to put my hands on the article of immediate significance! Well it’s my junk and I’m hanging on to it and it helps that I am the only one with the keys, if I could only remember where I hid them!

There is a 350 JAP grass track bike in one of our sheds....Dad used to make them and export all over Europe....Italy Germany France Belgium Holland...

14 Eastern Centre Championships also taken on Dads bikes under the Finn logo....

TEH

Chuffing hell timbo, you kept that one quiet.

Chuffing hell timbo, you kept that one quiet.

We when you take up that fowling invite for the river roach you never replied to you!! can cast your eye over it....

I used to serve the dope and Castrol R....

He took it out to a meeting age 79!! I came home a wreck waiting to have to run across the track and pick him up...but he did a practice and came third in the final as one guy fell off...he smoked an ounce of roll up's that day and I went greyer lol

TEH