Kitchen Knives

Brixsmaid

Sabatier is an area of France were cutlery was made no one registered the name so any one can make knives in that shape and call them Sabatier the original company in France has a diamond as there trade mark and are very expensive

Spot on that man. I have Sabatier knives from the Lion brand, gold model. They are very good. The silver models are not as good at holding an edge. Not are they as easy to put a decent edge on.

Sabatier is like a wine region, there are several brands. I have Richardson "V" Sabatier knives, or possibly the model up. They are definitely a much lower quality than my Lion Sabatiers. Also much lower quality than my cousin's 25 year old Richardson knives. Still an okay knife.

If I had my time over I'd buy Global Fusion knives with some Tojiro Senkou Japanese knives to complement them. For a carving knife I'd look for one of the old-style steel knives that is so flexible you can bend it. I can cut amazingly thin slices of roast with my old bone-handled carving set. My modern carving knife (Sabatier) is useless in comparison. Check car boot sales, antique and junk shops.

Those Thomson knives from Tesco? I got two. The small santoku is good. The large santoku is disgusting. I had a second one I'd bought as a present and gave it to my knife-aware friend who agrees it's a terrible piece of kit.

Edited by ehb102

Best knives I've used are the old Sheffield carbon steel bladed ones that are grey patina to the blade. Hold a good edge and are a flexable.

Pick them up when you see them in brick a brack shops.

Good quality carbon steel is hard to beat, all the fancy grinds on some knives are a nightmare to re sharpen.

Look at the old Japanese cabon steel blades if you can get one.

Most modern ones are ok but very expensive, unless your using it profetionally the handle shape won't be much of a problem.

Figgy

I don't like Knife sets and buy mine individually for purpose, very good pro butcher knives are not as expensive as expensive hand crafted stuff from some 90 year old Japanese craftsman but equal in use if not far better when you working with raw meat. That said you don't want to be slicing bread or fine chopping onions with any of them. Chose the knife for each job you personally do suppliers and brands will and should change

I find it takes ages to sharpen sabatiers unlike higher carbon blades which take an edge quickly though they do lose it quickly too . Great quality obviously , though I find myself reaching for my Chinese cheapie flat ended jobs .

Nisbets are currently doing a "Global" special on a knife block + 7 knives for £299

I don't need one but at that price I nearly bought one anyway.

Oh and the 7 knives are what you would want to see and use - not like 6 bread knives and fish knife

I can only find one set of Globals on Nisbets site and its not in a block but a wallet and is £437.49!!

I have some of the Tesco Thomson set, they are great for what they cost and sharpen well. Have had a few differwnt sets in my time and gave the last lot that cost about £200 (cheap I know) to my brother in law as I didn't like them when sharpening.

My friend has a ridiculously expensive Japanese set with folded steel and all the trimmings, a wedding gift apparently.

Both chop onions just the same. It's whatever you fancy but for the love of god a decent set won't mean you can cook any better.

A blunt knife though is worse than toothy bj.

We have had a set of Sabatier & Judge knives - several years old know. No issues, always come up sharp with steel. Only issues are handles which have a polished alloy back which if you wash in a bowl of water be very careful as metal back means sharpe side of blade always point upwards - have cut myself several times. Also have usual wife problem of cutting veg etc on hard surfaces so I spend a lot of time sharpening!!

Get in there. I just bought two sets. Whilst Global aren't cheap knives, they are a billy bargain price.

A colleague is getting married and I was struggling to find a decent present (obviously you can't give knives because it's bad luck but I'll take a pound off him for them). I digress.

After seeing some recommendations here plus reading the reviews at Amazon I'm looking at these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-Welch-Signature-Limited-Edition/dp/B009Z9QHO0/ref=pd_sim_kh_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SYP38D0DJ5YN6A80ZJK

They sound outstanding for a realistic price. Maybe add a santuko for another £45 and away we go.

What do these knives do that a £6 Kitchen Devil carver from Asda won't do?

You should try one, they are damned good for £6.

Similar to the argument of why a Beretta instead of a Hatsan, or why a Merc instead of a Proton?

Sometimes there is more to something than just it's basic functional purpose.

If you can afford it and appreciate it for whatever reason then fill your boots, if you are of the opposite mind and can't see why it's worth it then that's ok too. Whatever works for the individual.