went from internal to external chokes now not hitting as many clays

johnphilip

tried a set of external chokes last night on the clays , i normaly shoot skeet and half choke , so put the same external ones in these are ported and stick out about and extra inch and a half. was not hitting many clays at all .now i am sitting here i just thought maybe i should have done a pattern test, but to late . ok so why should there be a differance with the external chokes.........over to you folks

Forget 1/4, half, skeet, whatever designation is applied, the specific size is the measurement you need to check, they are not all the same.

Just the same, a like for like extended choke will seldom produce any meaningfully measurable difference in day to day shots!

Guest cookoff013

i now just stick to the full, 3/4 chokes.... i love using #9s on clays especially really fast ones.

the only time i use different chokes are steel. and thats either cyl or 1/4. (!) because i have to.(!)

Most aftermarket chokes will be a little tighter constriction than marked,I believe.

Give,s a wow effect when you mince clays better with them,thus proving their superiority !!!!!

How can you make a statement like that?

Any choke will have an expected marking upon it and ultimately it will depend upon the actual bore size and the relation of the actual constriction upon the shot and wad propelled through it!

Guest cookoff013

Any choke will have an expected marking upon it and ultimately it will depend upon the actual bore size and the relation of the actual constriction upon the shot and wad propelled through it!

that is my belief too. some manufacturers have odd interpretations of chokes. my merkel is 1/2 and 1/1, however its about 3/4 and extrafull.

most aftermarket choke restrictions are tighter than advertised. thats not all aftermarket chokes though.

however, choke ie restriction at the muzzel and pattern are 2 different things.

whats written on the side may not be what the choke patterns like, they could be tighter to produce a minumum of the choke marking.....

tried a set of external chokes last night on the clays , i normaly shoot skeet and half choke , so put the same external ones in these are ported and stick out about and extra inch and a half. was not hitting many clays at all .now i am sitting here i just thought maybe i should have done a pattern test, but to late . ok so why should there be a differance with the external chokes.........over to you folks

Is there a possibility that your shooting a different cartridge than normal?

Is there a possibility that your shooting a different cartridge than normal?

No diddy same ones. I think getting a new gun is like starting all over again.finding how it shoots and were it shoots. Think i need to do some test shots at some wallpaper. I mean outside not indoors lol.

While it is a generalisation to say all aftermarket chokes are tighter in my experience it is the case with Browning invector + and aftermarket chokes.

Browning go for 0.005" constriction for their IC - 1/4 choke which is very open where as Briley, for example, go for 0.010" in line with what I would expect for an IC- 1/4 choke. I doubt you would get any aftermarket choke manufacturer producing a 1/4 choke at 0.005" constriction so for Browning invector + it does seem to ring true if buying from the established brands.

Beretta on the other hand seem to be more inline with Briley's thinking on choke constriction.

So if you are using a Browning with a Briley ported chokes they will be a tighter constriction and using Express super comp patterned a lot tighter in my gun for both 1/4 and 1/2 compared to the standard chokes.

In any event would this change in constriction cause you to miss loads of clays, straight answer no, maybe one or two chips but not loads.

The reason you are probably missing is you are thinking about the change and now think the chokes are rubbish. Probably starting to be more deliberate on the clays stoping the gun and aiming to make sure causing you to miss. Or even looking at the new shinny things at the end of the gun taking you eye off the target, who knows but it's not like you have gone from skeet to extra full so doubt any possible change could make you miss loads.

It's more likely going to be head related and your lack of confidence in your new chokes that becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy the more you miss.

Just my opinion anyway.

Yes ,and aftermarkets are generally tighter than originals by common consent.

While it is a generalisation to say all aftermarket chokes are tighter in my experience it is the case with Browning invector + and aftermarket chokes.

Browning go for 0.005" constriction for their IC - 1/4 choke which is very open where as Briley, for example, go for 0.010" in line with what I would expect for an IC- 1/4 choke. I doubt you would get any aftermarket choke manufacturer producing a 1/4 choke at 0.005" constriction so for Browning invector + it does seem to ring true if buying from the established brands.

Beretta on the other hand seem to be more inline with Briley's thinking on choke constriction.

So if you are using a Browning with a Briley ported chokes they will be a tighter constriction and using Express super comp patterned a lot tighter in my gun for both 1/4 and 1/2 compared to the standard chokes.

In any event would this change in constriction cause you to miss loads of clays, straight answer no, maybe one or two chips but not loads.

The reason you are probably missing is you are thinking about the change and now think the chokes are rubbish. Probably starting to be more deliberate on the clays stoping the gun and aiming to make sure causing you to miss. Or even looking at the new shinny things at the end of the gun taking you eye off the target, who knows but it's not like you have gone from skeet to extra full so doubt any possible change could make you miss loads.

It's more likely going to be head related and your lack of confidence in your new chokes that becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy the more you miss.

Just my opinion anyway.

You sure have given me a lot to think about, as i have just said its a brand new gun only had it a day.if i am honest its early days, hopefully lol

Some people will say its not the choke you are using,but were you are pointing the gun that breaks targets,i have gone from skeet and quarter to half and three quarters,and to be honest i feel my shooting has improved,targets i struggled on i now find i can turn to dust,you need to find a choke you feel confident in and stick to them.

You have forked out hard earned on something unnecessary , that you have been convinced by reports and others will make you a better shot and you had a bad day . Of course it has to be new chokes what else could it have been ? How many bad days did you have with the original set? Trouble with shooting is there is a lot of psychology or to put it another way fooling ourselves that its never us that's doing badly it must be something else . Best advice is have few days off then go back , forget about all else stop thinking and just shoot . When you stop having fun doing that its time take up golf .

Can't possibly make enough difference to your scores to be significant. Unless you shoot so poorly that you only occasionally fluke a hit with the very edge of the pattern then the minor amount of difference two similarly marked chokes are going to make will be non-existent. I honestly don't think that most (99%) shotgun users can tell the difference between faster or slower cartridges or more of less choke in most situations. Shooting full choke on a skeet range would be an exception, but for general shooting or most sporting layouts any choke or cartridge combination will make very minimal difference compared to the gun actually being pointed in the right direction!

You have forked out hard earned on something unnecessary , that you have been convinced by reports and others will make you a better shot and you had a bad day . Of course it has to be new chokes what else could it have been ? How many bad days did you have with the original set? Trouble with shooting is there is a lot of psychology or to put it another way fooling ourselves that its never us that's doing badly it must be something else . Best advice is have few days off then go back , forget about all else stop thinking and just shoot . When you stop having fun doing that its time take up golf .

Think you need to understand its not just new chokes its a brand new gun also, but like you say take time out and go back to it in a day or two.......as to the golf no way. My other main hobby is metal detecting so can swap between the two. Only problemis all theses bleeding shotgun cartridges people leave laid around lol.

Edited by johnphilip