Police pulled me over

Rst1990

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My licence came up for renewal a couple of months ago and several weeks before it expired the FEO paid me a visit (they always visit on renewal in Cambridgeshire) and it was not until he had left that I realised he had taken my still valid certificate away with him.

It was three weeks before the new one arrived and that meant that I could not purchase ammunition in the meantime. No problem as I had sufficient stock but it did leave me in a potentially difficult situation. Apparently this is normal in Cambridgeshire.

My licence came up for renewal a couple of months ago and several weeks before it expired the FEO paid me a visit (they always visit on renewal in Cambridgeshire) and it was not until he had left that I realised he had taken my still valid certificate away with him.

It was three weeks before the new one arrived and that meant that I could not purchase ammunition in the meantime. No problem as I had sufficient stock but it did leave me in a potentially difficult situation. Apparently this is normal in Cambridgeshire.

Glad it's different in the north of the county!

You should always be extremely careful in any dealings with plod - they are not exactly well known for being straightforward in all their dealings - and if they make a mistake in applying the law it is not plod that pays the bill its you and me. For the individual concerned it can be extremely traumatic. Who watches the watchers? or indeed, who holds plod to account? at the moment it is themselves.

Blimey, four pages. The crux of the matter is this: You are not obliged by law to carry your tickets with you when you go shooting, but if you are asked by the rozzers to produce the original ones and you can't, then they are perfectly entitled to seize your guns. I'm not saying they will, but they are entitled to do so.

Neither are you obliged by law to hand in your valid tickets at renewal or variations. It is entirely up to you, but in so doing, and you don't ask for a temporary permit (which still doesn't allow you to buy ammo) you leave yourself without the means to prove the guns in your possession are in fact yours.

Yes, it is a simple matter for any officers to run your reg' plate or whatever through HQ, but they can STILL seize your firearms if you can't provide a valid proof of ownership, which, despite what your FEO tells you, doesn't include a photocopy. It would be unreasonable for them to do so, but by law, they can.

Ask Bill Harriman; he'll tell you.

It can be summed up that carrying your fac saves aggro. When an officer finds somebody with a gun how does he know it's not illegally held, that's what the fac is for. If a copy of a search record is not given you have 12 months to apply for a copy. They can seize any firearm for various reasons too. Burglars are out and about at all hours too.i have mine in the car when I go hunting.

the way i see it i'd rather have it than risk some over zealous twonk of a PC taking my gun off me until i produce it even if its on the PNC and he can check to see if i have a SGC. having it in the glove box of the car removes any possible doubt from his point scoring attempt with the inspector

It's simple - you can carry it with you, and it may save you bother. You may legally not have to take it with you, but it may save you time if you do have it with you.

Basically:

If you are getting ready to go shooting and loading the car and think before leaving the house "oh, look, my licence" pick it up with your hand and pop it into your car. That second of time **may** save you a bit of time down the line, and give you more time to shoot your weapon.

** Disclaimer: I use the word 'May' as it's not guaranteed as you may or may not be pulled over or indeed it may not also save you time if you are arrested for other offences.

Does anyone got any more ways of saying how it saves bother? Followed by someone saying they don't need to save any bother? Or shall we go on for another page just for luck?

You could carry other I'd like driving licence with photo on, they can look at it confirm its you and that your legally in possession of your arms via the computer.

All said and done the letter of the law states licence must be produced.

Figgy

Haha that's actually a good shout. Perhaps you could have the categories on the back with those little silhouette pictures like on a new car licence too.

Last time I took my certificate outwith the house was to use it as ID for a club because I'd misplaced my drivers licence..

Police stopped me one night few years ago and I definitely didn't have my certificate with me. Apart from the attitude of one of the policeman, the event was pretty straightforward but it spoils the night whether you have your cert. or not.

If I'd had two armed responses out previously though I'd probably take it with me :lol:

I was driving to my perm 5am Sunday morning to bag a few rabbits. As I was driving down the lane I noticed a police car waiting in a side road, I drove past they pulled out put the blues on I pulled over and they parked behind me. I waited for him to come over to me which he did and he asked me to step out of the car which I did.

I asked what I had done and he said there have been burglarys around the area and seeings it was an odd time for people to be out and about they thought they would check me out etc, which is fine.

He asked if I had anything on me or in the car that shouldn't be there, I replied no

He searched me and his colleague looked at the car.

I had .22lr bullets in my pocket which he asked "what's this" to which I replied bullets to my rifle which is in the boot of the car.

He was not very happy with this and asked to see some paperwork of me being able to hold such etc, thing is I didn't have it on me it was in my cabinet at home and my photo copied licence I accidentally put in the washer the night before, he was telling me that this is an arrest able offence me not carrying my licence with me and he should take my rifle bullets etc and I should collect from station with licence once I had gone and got it!!!

I didn't want this to happen so pleaded that I was very sorry etc his colleague had already radio my details across from my driving licence and everything come back ok and me being a sgc/fac holder etc, he let me go and I kept hold of my property his last words to me of the matter was to keep my paperwork in order and if he pulls me over again and I don't have my original docs I would lose my rifle etc and have to collect from station!!!

My question..... Does the police have the right to do this??

Yes he does but as they would also have to go back to the station with your rifle and ammo and fill in a ton of paperwork. IAn practise if they can they do try and prove you are legit so that they don't have to seize,

One night I had to produce mine at 2am after a report of a slow moving lamp in a field, ironically I had advised the local nick as well.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Oh for crying out loud -

Stop being big pansies and knowing all your rights like Vicky Pollard and just stick it in the car, it's not that heavy, it's not going to turn into a newt if left in glove box for duration of shooting, it just saves a little time if and when you get pulled over.

You may not NEED it legally, but it certainly helps get you on your way quicker. Such like when you get pulled and you have your licence and insurance docs and they then let you go, if you don't have them you get 7 days to drive to a station to show them... know which I'd rather have...

not wanting to get drawn into an argument with anyone but what if you do leave it in your glove box and while your shooting out in the field someone steel's your car it's been known

just a thought

colin

My BIL and I where driving home late at night 2:00am and where both stopped (2cars in convoy) it was a Christmas drink drive thing we we're laugh about it was, police men said "look you both known to the police, so don't take it so lightly." I was very shocked with my old work and I know the BIL is squeaky clean as well, so being the shy retiring sort I am said that was rubbish, they other then came back and said "they'd like to check our cars" fine with us he then asked "if we where carrying any gun"

"Not tonight was the reply but I'll have some loose cartridges potentially"

The second and more sensible that's fine your both "known to the police and on the request for details said you where gun owners"

They had a quick look around the cars found the bismuth cartridge I'd dropped the day before (new set of eyes and all that) and where happy wished us a merry Christmas and we went home.

In short the police can check in minutes if you have the right to have that gun or ammo should never be an issue.

My BIL and I where driving home late at night 2:00am and where both stopped (2cars in convoy) it was a Christmas drink drive thing we we're laugh about it was, police men said "look you both known to the police, so don't take it so lightly." I was very shocked with my old work and I know the BIL is squeaky clean as well, so being the shy retiring sort I am said that was rubbish, they other then came back and said "they'd like to check our cars" fine with us he then asked "if we where carrying any gun"

"Not tonight was the reply but I'll have some loose cartridges potentially"

The second and more sensible that's fine your both "known to the police and on the request for details said you where gun owners"

They had a quick look around the cars found the bismuth cartridge I'd dropped the day before (new set of eyes and all that) and where happy wished us a merry Christmas and we went home.

In short the police can check in minutes if you have the right to have that gun or ammo should never be an issue.

Absolutely correct the police can ascertain whether the person who goes by the name you give them has the right to own/carry a firearm they do not however know that person is indeed you.I can imagine the comments on this forum if the police did stop and let someone go on their way because they gave the correct name and later committed a crime with what turned out to be a stolen gun.as most of you boys go out in your military style camouflage coats and trousers which have many pockets is there really not room for a slip of paper.atb

not wanting to get drawn into an argument with anyone but what if you do leave it in your glove box and while your shooting out in the field someone steel's your car it's been known

just a thought

colin

Colin, good point - never thought of that one.

They would have your address and know what you have and how much you use it then. You'd come home to find the rest gone or live in wait that they'll be round with a large crow bar.

It's a good debate really, as I often carry mine with me and it's become habit, but I also see the other side of the coin where you legally don't have to. It's just the police can be awfully funny around guns and knives and dangerous objects (as I would too if I was a policeman) - so can make it just a tad easier. Would be better if in the future they had it like the drivers licence. A plastic bit to keep on you in your credit card pouch in wallet and a paper bit for at home. Perhaps.

Absolutely correct the police can ascertain whether the person who goes by the name you give them has the right to own/carry a firearm they do not however know that person is indeed you.I can imagine the comments on this forum if the police did stop and let someone go on their way because they gave the correct name and later committed a crime with what turned out to be a stolen gun.as most of you boys go out in your military style camouflage coats and trousers which have many pockets is there really not room for a slip of paper.atb

Don't wear camouflage unless you count tweed of course.

Whats to stop a driver producing an RFD certificate, would you be happier then?

Don't wear camouflage unless you count tweed of course.

Whats to stop a driver producing an RFD certificate, would you be happier then?

if the driver is going to produce an rfd certificate then why not carry a sgc.I believe the police would be perfectly entitled to take the guns if you could offer no real proof of who you are.however as is the way of a lot of people cause yourself unnecessary delays and complications.i have been stopped by the police on only two occasions when I was out late at night looking for some foxes that were bothering my chickens on both of these I showed my certificate which not only showed my right to have guns but also confirmed to them me as the landowner.the wished me success in my hunt and said goodnight.see simple really.atb

Don't know why the driver doesn't have a SGC but he's an RFD he produces it so has lawful authority but they still can't be certain it's belongs to the person named. (And this has happened to an RFD well known on the forum).

Don't know why the driver doesn't have a SGC but he's an RFD he produces it so has lawful authority but they still can't be certain it's belongs to the person named as there's no photo on an RFD (And this has happened to an RFD well known on the forum).

Don't know why the driver doesn't have a SGC but he's an RFD he produces it so has lawful authority but they still can't be certain it's belongs to the person named. (And this has happened to an RFD well known on the forum).

Don't know why the driver doesn't have a SGC but he's an RFD he produces it so has lawful authority but they still can't be certain it's belongs to the person named as there's no photo on an RFD (And this has happened to an RFD well known on the forum).

Then in the absence of positive proof they would be quite right in removing the gun.I doubt public opinion would go against them.