Eating in England in the 60's

Jega

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pinching pop bottles from the back of the pub and taking them to the hatch at the front to get money back.

Playing kick the can with every other kid from the village.

Being warned about the water heating copper in the wash house. Starched collars on my school shirts. Wash day was Mondays.

The local bobbies on small motorcycles with just the bobbies hat no crash helmets.

Nicking fruit from local orchard.

Stealing conkers from Fred slaters yard.

Burning holes with matches in airfix models so they looked like they have been shot.

Phone tapping ..ringing from call box to call box and asking other village lads if they want a fight.

Fishing...jam jars or stolen bulb riddles for catching stickleback and redbreast from the dyes. Totting for eels using worms and wool. Stealing dad's players navy cut cigarettes and smoking them in a den made in the middle of bunt weights straw stack. Paddling down drains in tin baths. Biking to pode hole in winter to skate on the ice where the lincs skating championship was held. ..we got cold weather then. Dansette record player that took seven singles. ...and many more..

With salt sprinkled on and the brown jelly as well. Best melted on toast.

If my friends traditional butchers shop was open would be on my way to pick up some haslet dripping. Salt is a must too. (It's strange how many have not even heard of haslet too).

Edited by ayano3

So much said for the sixties and so much more not mentioned, I was born in 48 in the outer east end of London, was and grew up with rag tag mates as we were called.

We got up to all sorts, fights, go carting down hills across roads avoiding the odd car, usually ending in spectacular crashes and back home for repairs and bandages.

Taking rags out to the rag and bone man doing his rounds , usually for a balloon or maybe a half dead goldfish.

Helping "old Bob" with his milk round and pushing his cart and getting a penguin biscuit for my efforts.

Collecting eggs from our caged "pet" chicken, till mum said she had flown away one day (we had chicken dinner for a couple of days after)

Helping my dad on his allotment weeding,digging and harvesting his crop for the table, which were all as tasty as vegetables should be unlike today's supermarket pap..

Plucking the rare goose that dad had got from the local gypsy's.

Going shopping with my mum and her buying a half pigs head to boil up, the flesh to one side and the brains and bits used for brawn, which was yummy.

Helping mum knead her own dough for making bread which my dad , me and three brothers devoured in no time with butter and mums home made jam.

My mother was brought up in service ( meaning she was the daughter of a large household cook ) what she could turn into a tasty and nourishing meal was not to be sniffed at.

But the sixties were exciting as I got to them as a teenager,I started to learn guitar at 13 and played in a group publicly before 15 , all be it outside "The Lobster Smack Pub" on Canvey Island in the summer months. A pork pie at break time that tasted like food and not the homogenised (a longer word than the 4 letter one) that truly describes today's pork pie's.

Much of what we ate was home cooked from scratch when it was known what to do with a potato straight from the ground and the ingredients not adulterated.

I cant always remember what I did yesterday but I can remember "Sing something Simple" on the radio on a Sunday night (we didnt have a telly) and thinking "Oh no its school tomorrow and my heart sank.

Also in the early 60's there was a bad winter and the glass on the inside of my bedroom window was frozen up for ages.

Hcc

I remember when the black man with a turban used to come round selling tea towels etc from a suitcase. We kids would run in and tell mum there's a black man coming. The gypsies selling pegs and the scissor grinder man who sharpened hedge clippers scissors knives etc.

Yes and the woman that lived next door but one to us couldnt afford to pay so he would give her "one" he soon stopped coming around when the bump started showing :lol::lol:

Remember Bath chaps? (pressed meat from the face of a pig)

Coddled eggs with fresh bread and granny taking bloody juice from the beef joint and mixing it with mashed potato to wean the babies.

Liver at least once a week, how many eat it now?

Cod liver oil and a big spoonful of malt extract once a week.

Prunes to keep you regular!

Turning the light on and seeing silverfish in the hearth, taking a bowl and tea towel to fetch savoury duck from the butchers ( they also did pigs trotters and tails) and twisting up newspaper for fire lighters.

I remember well the silverfish in the hearth, and not just in the '60's either. I often went round to my Grandmas where there would be pigs trotters boiling steadily away on the hob in preparation for making into potted meat which my Dad loved, and we would spread it on bread like paste. She had a pan which had a permanent black crust of calcified cinder around its base from being wedged in the glowing coals in the front of the fire in which she made rice pudding. There would be golden globules of butter floating in the simmering pudding. I have never tasted rice pudding like it anywhere since.

The outside loo smelled of pitch as it was filled with kindling from railway sleepers, so you had to wedge yourself in there when necessary.

Socks were darned and trousers patched, and in the shed was the shoe 'lasts' (I still have them) on which my Dad would resole and heel our shoes.

EDIT: Someone mention liver? Can you remember the stuff we got at school? Full of veins and tubes which were as tough as rubber bands and often meant you were still chewing once back out in the playground. :)

Edited by Scully