Head Up - Guy Martin Spitfire

Fuji Shooter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always seems strange to me that people do not think to keep some things that at the time there was loads of them being scraped a bit like the old steam train scrap yard where the guy had hundreds of them but just never got around to braking them up so lots of them could be salvaged.

The Americans had the advantage of having old desert airfields to put there old aircraft where they would not rot unlike us where they would have just rotted if left outside it does seem wrong to me that there are so few Lancaster bombers remaining when they made thousands of them.

I have not seen that program so will be putting it in to the recorder I always enjoy his programs. :good:

Great programme!

It's amazing what was achieved during those dark days. I must admit to feeling extremely jealous when he was handed the controls of the two-seater.

The programme also highlighted what I always say when there's guff about 'women in a man's world' these days. 85 Spits a week produced by a mainly female work-force. :good:

Thoroughly enjoyed and, like Fabhui, even my wife watched it. Good bloke :yes:

I really enjoyed the programme, but sadly not the presenter.

I found his overly enthusiastic commentary sickly.

The content was very good and as I am sure we all agree, anything about The beautiful and mighty Spitfire is a must watch.

The people on it were great in my opinion, but it was overhyped. It was a fine undertaking but I'd hesitate to call it a rebuild/restoration, more a faithful reproduction. I notice that the guys working on it didn't call it a rebuild/restoration. I'd have liked to have seen more of the build and also the sourcing of parts. Must have been some good stories there. OK a firm on the Isle of Wight made the fuselage, so why not show them. Ditto the engine builders etc. Guy Martin is a great bloke with a great skills but it was way OTT to call it his Spitfire.

I did enjoy the program and it was nice to see Guy saying that he did not really do that much most others would make it seem that they played a large part in it.

One thing that I thought was a bit odd they was saying that they rebuilt it but they did not show one part of the original that was actually used it was in fact a perfect replica not a restoration at all.

The other thing is as they went to all of the trouble of making jigs etc to make all of the parts why did they not find some rich people who would like to have one there must be lots of them around and make half a dozen of them just a thought.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I did enjoy the program and it was nice to see Guy saying that he did not really do that much most others would make it seem that they played a large part in it.

One thing that I thought was a bit odd they was saying that they rebuilt it but they did not show one part of the original that was actually used.

The other thing is as they went to all of the trouble of making jigs etc to make all of the parts why did they not find some rich people who would like to have one there must be lots of them around and make half a dozen of them just a thought.

I think they do produce a few. In one shot there were 3 new looking fuselages side by side.

Edited by TriBsa

The people on it were great in my opinion, but it was overhyped. It was a fine undertaking but I'd hesitate to call it a rebuild/restoration, more a faithful reproduction. I notice that the guys working on it didn't call it a rebuild/restoration. I'd have liked to have seen more of the build and also the sourcing of parts. Must have been some good stories there. OK a firm on the Isle of Wight made the fuselage, so why not show them. Ditto the engine builders etc. Guy Martin is a great bloke with a great skills but it was way OTT to call it his Spitfire.

I was a bit to eager to put down my thoughts as I did not see that you beat me to most of them.

One thing that I thought was a bit odd they was saying that they rebuilt it but they did not show one part of the original that was actually used it was in fact a perfect replica not a restoration at all.

I thought it was funded privatly. Right at the begining I thought they said private persons paid for it to be salvaged from beach and sent to Duxford for rebuilding.