unsure of what to apply for ?

Daz Harrison

Ive been using an air rifle on a local farm for a while now, i have asked the owner if its ok for me to start the process of getting my FAC to use on the land, he said .... "yes, aslong as you shoot the bloody foxes" the main pest on the land are fox,pigeon,rabbit.

i have 84 acres of mixed land of which to pest control. what firarms/shot gun would you apply for ?

Daz

As Above ( Walshie) Ps Dont forget to apply for expanding missiles >> ( hollow/soft/ point /ballistic tip.) Sometimes they don't tell you that you need this to buy that sort of ammo that you need and any shop will only sell you full metal jacket which is used for targets.

If you have good reason, its very hard for them to make a refusal that might stand up in court outside of security or criminality. 12 ga shotgun on SGC will do foxes and be far more effective on crows and the like than an airgun, .22 RF is perfect for bunnies and the like, .22 CF from .22 Hornet to 22-250 is perfect for foxes and .243 win will cover fox and deer (if you have deer to shoot that is).

As Above ( Walshie) Ps Dont forget to apply for expanding missiles >> ( hollow/soft/ point /ballistic tip.) Sometimes they don't tell you that you need this to buy that sort of ammo that you need and any shop will only sell you full metal jacket which is used for targets.

And moderators..... for all. Going co-terminus would simplify things that way you can shotguns as well (don't need to apply for specific section 2 shotguns)

I'm doing this currently and I'm going to be putting down, .22LR .17hmr then .22CF will either be .222 or .223 (might put down both to see what happens) then a .243 for a larger deer caliber.

I'm also going to be putting down for a FAC shotgun just because you shall probably get it approved because non of the above do the job and if you don't use it and want something else it's easier and cheaper to 1 for 1 than it is to add on.

Have you got deer on the land if not you need to have booked for paid stalking they will check also what kind of back stop do the land have if flat you might struggle to get any of the rifles you apply for you should have no trouble with the shotgun here in Gwent you need good backstop before they will grant you anything

inspite of having fired many more c/f rounds over the years than i have shotty carts i was still advised to apply for r/fire only at 1st, then after a year or so ask for a 243,

slowly slowly something to do with a monkey i think was the term :lol:

I also believe in one rifle applications presenting just one good reason. I don't think asking for rimfire is a good idea if you want a rifle specifically for foxes though, far better to just ask for a .22 cf. This way there is no middle ground no bargaining to be done, no talking down an applicant to just the littlest thing he/she is asking for. Soon put a variation in once granted anyhow and its not big money and you don't need more photos , references etc. just heres my "good reason" I want one of these to fill it

Two huge misconceptions that appear in all these threads:

1. The police tell you what you can have. It doesn't work like that. You provide good reason why you need a particular weapon. It is up to the police to show that you are either: of unsound mind or a danger to the public with that firearm.
  2. That you 'need' any of your weapons. You don't. Almost all of us on here don't need firearms, we chose to have them for recreational or professional purposes. There is nothing wrong with asking for a gun just because you fancy it, so long as you have a good reason. There is no 'need' anywhere in the firearms acts.

Have you any centrefire experience? This could be a stumbling block as they are potentially very powerful weapons that can kill people miles away. One indiscretion can result in a person dying and you going to prison. Asking for one with zero experience is likely to lead to a refusal on public safety grounds.

If you have experience or a friend who can show you the ropes then apply for whatever you fancy! Some forces with allow ".22CF" so you can but .222, .223, 22-250 etc in the gunshop. Some will insist you specify .223, but if a different calibre became available you can swap it on your FAC for free, so not the end of the world.

Myself I'd put in for:

.17HMR + Moderator

.22RF + Moderator

FAC Air

FAC Shotgun

22-250 + moderator if you have some CF experience.

You can always do a 1 for 1 variation for free, so if you did decide to go for rimfire first and apply for centrefire later you could swap your FAC air for a 22-250 for free.

The solution is to make it easy for them. Show you are safe, understand backstops, have permission and experience and you should be granted anything you want without fuss.

Sorry but if you don't know you don't need any

Deershooter

That's not honestly very fair, the guys landowner wants foxes shot and he wants to take the next step within his chosen sport. None of us were born with a working knowledge of firearms and calibres, we all started someplace.

Apache has some good points to make about actual "need"

Two huge misconceptions that appear in all these threads:

1. The police tell you what you can have. It doesn't work like that. You provide good reason why you need a particular weapon. It is up to the police to show that you are either: of unsound mind or a danger to the public with that firearm.
  2. That you 'need' any of your weapons. You don't. Almost all of us on here don't need firearms, we chose to have them for recreational or professional purposes. There is nothing wrong with asking for a gun just because you fancy it, so long as you have a good reason. There is no 'need' anywhere in the firearms acts.

Have you any centrefire experience? This could be a stumbling block as they are potentially very powerful weapons that can kill people miles away. One indiscretion can result in a person dying and you going to prison. Asking for one with zero experience is likely to lead to a refusal on public safety grounds.

If you have experience or a friend who can show you the ropes then apply for whatever you fancy! Some forces with allow ".22CF" so you can but .222, .223, 22-250 etc in the gunshop. Some will insist you specify .223, but if a different calibre became available you can swap it on your FAC for free, so not the end of the world.

Myself I'd put in for:

.17HMR + Moderator

.22RF + Moderator

FAC Air

FAC Shotgun

22-250 + moderator if you have some CF experience.

You can always do a 1 for 1 variation for free, so if you did decide to go for rimfire first and apply for centrefire later you could swap your FAC air for a 22-250 for free.

The solution is to make it easy for them. Show you are safe, understand backstops, have permission and experience and you should be granted anything you want without fuss.

that does seem alot of choice, i just do not want to push my look and have all refused, maybe im looking to far into this.

thankyou all for your replies :)

Daz

• 2 weeks later...