Free solar panels

besty57

Hi all.just had a leaflet pushed thru the door,from aashade greener.com.i was wondering if any on here has had anything to do with this company.any problems etc ,leaflet says I could save on average 37per cent on my electric bill,I'm thinking any saving sounds good to me if the panels are free.does anyone know how this sort of thing works out for the homeowner.many thanks .

You usually sign up for a certain length of time, 20 years or so (?), the company gets the generous feed in tarrif and you get the energy produced for free. It depends on how much you use during the day whether it is worth it or not. The alternative is putting them on yourself, which has a large up front bill, but you get the free energy and the feed in tarrif. My mum had them put in and she is set to get her money back in 8-10 years, which means over the next 10 she will earn back what they cost and more.

Neighbour had them fitted a it became a huge problem with a roof leak as they own your roof and had to use their very expensive contractors to repair. Also they want near £5000 in fees if he decides to move.

As people have pointed out they don't make electric when you need it most.

Better off putting up a 24" wind turbine on gable end of house it spins day and night around a £1000 to buy and makes more electric.

Neighbour had them fitted a it became a huge problem with a roof leak as they own your roof and had to use their very expensive contractors to repair. Also they want near £5000 in fees if he decides to move.

As people have pointed out they don't make electric when you need it most.

Better off putting up a 24" wind turbine on gable end of house it spins day and night around a £1000 to buy and makes more electric.

They don't own your roof but just rent the space. You have to ensure your roof is sound but they should have done that before installation but they were taking the pee by insisting on their own contractors, I think I'd be getting legal advice if I was them as it sounds very dodgy to me.

Free panels = No feed in tariff

I had panels fitted this year, cost around £5500 no problems at all. Had a nice payment of £250 for the first quarter I was feeding in. Add the electric that I'm not paying for due to generating it... happy days.

Panels will pay for themselves in 5 years, then after that, its all profit. Better investment than any ISA....

You get in the region of 14.38p per unit for 100% of what you generate then an additional 4.77p for 50% of what you generate.

Just after I had mine fitted, they brought out a skeleton frame system that allows the panels to sit flush with your tiles, looks well better but is a £500 extra.... Advise anyone with the money to do it

a few people locally used shady greener as they now call them, they all want rid but are tied in,

they used to sell double glazing if that tells you anything,

if its such a good deal get a loan and buy your own panels, I did,

Edited by bobt

Free panels = No feed in tariff

I had panels fitted this year, cost around £5500 no problems at all. Had a nice payment of £250 for the first quarter I was feeding in. Add the electric that I'm not paying for due to generating it... happy days.

Panels will pay for themselves in 5 years, then after that, its all profit. Better investment than any ISA....

You get in the region of 14.38p per unit for 100% of what you generate then an additional 4.77p for 50% of what you generate.

Just after I had mine fitted, they brought out a skeleton frame system that allows the panels to sit flush with your tiles, looks well better but is a £500 extra.... Advise anyone with the money to do it

Hi Gaz looking to go for it myself, how many panels did you get and did you fill the hole of your roof space.

Cheers

Mark

Massive problem with solar panels and granting 3rd party rights over your property.

Mortgage companies won't lend on properties that have them, people that have them can't sell their property and you lose control - if you want them off they charge you for the lot, installation, removal and cancellation.

Don't touch with a barge pole. See a solicitor. Don't be so naive to think there is something for nothing

They don't own your roof but just rent the space. You have to ensure your roof is sound but they should have done that before installation but they were taking the pee by insisting on their own contractors, I think I'd be getting legal advice if I was them as it sounds very dodgy to me.

There is an arguement that these 'business' installations are protected business act tenancies ie when the fixed term expires they are entitled to ask for another term of occupation and so on, and most of these contracts have auto renew provisions or cancellation provisions that are very difficult to follow or meet.

Giving away any legal right over or affecting your property is a big no no and probably a breach of your mortgage terms and conditions.

Google it - there's loads in the legal press about them

Here's a random article I got via Google

http://www.sleeblackwell.co.uk/blogs/solar-panels.html

And have a look at what the Leeds Building society want solicitors acting on their behalves to do and the hoops that have to be jumped through

http://www.leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk/_resources/pdfs/intermediaries-pdfs/intermediaries-forms-pdfs/solar-panel-pack-for-legal-advisors.pdf

Like I said, more mortgage companies are becoming less inclined to entertain 3rd party panel installations as they materially affect the value of a property and the lender's security.

Edited by Mungler

Hi all.just had a leaflet pushed thru the door,from aashade greener.com.i was wondering if any on here has had anything to do with this company.any problems etc ,leaflet says I could save on average 37per cent on my electric bill,I'm thinking any saving sounds good to me if the panels are free.does anyone know how this sort of thing works out for the homeowner.many thanks .

Not for me .... Technology changing so quickly... They are even testing Solar paint for houses ... no panels required.