I shot like Stevie Wonder!

Man o kent

Although being a novice shooter, I am capable of bagging a bird or two, but whilst out on a rough day today, no matter where I pointed the 16, I couldn't hit a barn door! I missed every pigeon, had a couple of pheasants practically fly onto the end of my gun, that I warned with both barrels, and watched them sail overhead, and ended the day with one bird that we couldn't even find! Please tell me I'm not alone in having days like this, I know I provided no end of entertainment for the other guns, but things will get better won't they, I'm starting to over think the shots under the pressure.

Although being a novice shooter, I am capable of bagging a bird or two, but whilst out on a rough day today, no matter where I pointed the 16, I couldn't hit a barn door! I missed every pigeon, had a couple of pheasants practically fly onto the end of my gun, that I warned with both barrels, and watched them sail overhead, and ended the day with one bird that we couldn't even find! Please tell me I'm not alone in having days like this, I know I provided no end of entertainment for the other guns, but things will get better won't they, I'm starting to over think the shots under the pressure.

You are NOT ALONE in having days like these. :no:

At least you kept the other guns amused. :good:

Not uncommon to over-think things, relax and enjoy the day, I am sure they could do with another beater! :whistling:

IF you are concerned about other people, you are doomed to miss. When at the PW charity shoot, and seeing how the guys on here can shoot a 100 yard gnat with a pea shooter on the forum, I was so nervous on the first stand (with it being my 4th time shooting clays) I missed everything on the first stand.

By stand 2 I relaxed and almost believed I would take the poo trophy home and actually started hitting them ok and did ok by the end. It's sometimes down to your anxiety so relax and forget about the others.

IF you are concerned about other people, you are doomed to miss. When at the PW charity shoot, and seeing how the guys on here can shoot a 100 yard gnat with a pea shooter on the forum, I was so nervous on the first stand (with it being my 4th time shooting clays) I missed everything on the first stand.

By stand 2 I relaxed and almost believed I would take the poo trophy home and actually started hitting them ok and did ok by the end. It's sometimes down to your anxiety so relax and forget about the others.

Im sure you wasn't in my squad :whistling::ninja:

Maybe you should take up singing :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

I sympathise. As someone who has been shooting for 6 seasons but shoots with a bunch of chaps who have been shooting for ~ 4 decades, it's easy to shoot like a moron. And get obsessed with cartridge to kill ratios. My advice - practise mounting and swinging the gun (not loaded obviously) outside if possible, onto anything - midges, chimney pots, little birds, passing clouds. Go to the clay ground and shoot at clays which look like the real thing. If you still can't hit anything, have a lesson with a good coach and make sure the gun fits properly and your eyesight is OK.

I also took up deer stalking. Totally different, but it is easier to shoot at stationary targets! Even if they do not stay still for long. Good luck and good shooting.

I recall a beaters day many years ago when we positioned ourselves around a large field of turnips, which appeared to me to be empty, but lo and behold a brace of Partridge got up and made a b-line for me. They were over and gone in an instant, and my futile attempts to raise my gun and swing through was far too slow and clumsy. Missed 'em both.

No sooner had I reloaded than another pair got up and much to my horror headed straight for me. I mounted the gun in time this time but was woefully well behind them as they zipped by like mini exocets.

I was well aware of a few distant chuckles from some of the less sympathetic shooters by now, and had just reloaded another two when there were shouts from the other side of the field and I turned to see another two small shapes approaching. Gordon Bennett! Once again I was only too aware that I was the only one shooting in a field of about a dozen guns, all of whom were watching me, when I clearly heard the voice of someone I knew well shout: 'No pressure ***** '! Needless to say I missed them both.

In my defence I was using a borrowed gun but was no stranger to shooting.

We had a good laugh about it in the pub later on though; much **** taking and laughter. :)

• 4 weeks later...