Favourite cartridges

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week I was on a high bird day on pheasants in Hewin on severn in Gloucester really great shoot proper high birds. Now I had to use fibre wads that I am not a lover of. But? over the last couple of months I have tested a few different fibre game loads. my choice was, Hull High Bird Extreme 70mm case 34 grams of 5 shot. I was very impressed with their performance through my Miroku Mk38 trap gun 32". I have tried hard not to use fibre wads but more game shoots insist on them these days. Now these Hull shells are not

cheap, I don't think I would want to be pigeon shooting with them as for the cost. I will say though its a good squib. so to make a short story long in felt or fibre wad.

Hull High Pheasant Extreme were my favourite fibre.

Guest cookoff013

Sterling game great but discontinued- High Pheasant Extreme are the follow on and very good they are too.

I use the 36g 4s on the big stuff when I have to shoot fibres, solid kills.

Cool

To those that say, "if you point it in the right direction, there is no bad cartridge". I agree about the 'bad' cartridge bit. BUT, I once tested 10 different makes and type of 20 bore cartridges, through a fixed choke Beretta 687, they were either 24 or 28 grams of 6 shot. Of the 2 or 3 of each of the ten types, it came down to just 3 makes that patterned satisfactorily enough to want to use them. So, on the occasions that you think you have not pointed the gun in the right place, it may not always be your aim that is at fault.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hellfire game cartridges are loaded by Hull, the Hellfire clay cartridges are loaded by Gamebore.

I know the thread is dead but,just to put things right.

They are not loaded by Hull,they are loaded by "Eley" at the minute,although there is talk of a move.

Been using Express Supreme Game 28g 6's for the last couple of years. Happy with them. Truth told I probably couldn't tell the difference in a blind test. They seem to hit hard enough, folded a good number of birds, even high pheasant, on the first barrel.

Either i'm improving or they make a clueless gibbon seem reasonably able :lol:

3 pages of answers, many different preferences.

There are very few poor cartridges about, Eley, Gamebore, Express, Hull. all make some first class shells.

The key to is to find one you like, buy 1000 at least and stick with it. You will have good days and bad but when the latter occur then you know from your good days that the issue is with the shooter rather than the cartridge.

Over the years I find I get less runners with bigger shot. The weight of your shot load will depend on your gun, light SBS then 28gr, light O/U then 30gr or occasionally 32gr, heavy O/U then 32gr if needed. I have killed pheasants a log way out with 28gr of 6s (Impax) in my SBS. My load of choice is 30gr of 5s over a felt wad in a lightweight O/U.

A

Eley Alphamax 36g AAA for Fox or 36g BB from single barrel Baikel my trusty fox slayer for over thirty years. RC No 9.33g Dispersant for Woodcock and phesand at the right range I will never fire another Cartridge at game as long as I can get my hands on 33g No 9. A very fast cloud and will kill at good distances with a Baikel side by side and well priced.

Eley Alphamax 36g AAA for Fox or 36g BB from single barrel Baikel my trusty fox slayer for over thirty years. RC No 9.33g Dispersant for Woodcock and phesand at the right range I will never fire another Cartridge at game as long as I can get my hands on 33g No 9. A very fast cloud and will kill at good distances with a Baikel side by side and well priced.

? blimey never heard of such a weird load.......that must be 900 bits of shot...what does a 20 yard pheasant taste like?..crunchy?

? blimey never heard of such a weird load.......that must be 900 bits of shot...what does a 20 yard pheasant taste like?..crunchy?

+1. Very weird - sounds more like something the Italians would use - they seem to favour (judging by some of the commercial loads produced by Fiocchi et al.) huge quantities of small shot.

I'm surprised, frankly, that it'll do for any bids, big or small, past 20 yards. I've had clays "bounce" rather than break using #9 shot at that distance, so I can't think that they'd kill game well.

no its a standard small bird load.

the italians love shooting any birds...... even small ones..

I was aware that they have a particular problem as major fruit growers / exporters, with small birds - what we'd call songbirds - eating olives, young fruit and the like, and that they used small loads of "dust shot" (i.e. #12) to deal with these pests, but why anyone would need or want 33g of the stuff in the sky at once remains beyond me. Still - I'm sure they serve a purpose, otherwise the manufacturers wouldn't bother making them.

I still maintain though, that they must be of very limited use - the last time I shot my .410 at clays before I sold it, I was using 14g #9 skeet cartridges and I had several crossers - at very modest range - sharply change direction (i.e. right angles) in mid air without breaking, because of impact by the shot.

Edited by neutron619