Hour spent with a Firmer chisel and spoke shave!

Lord Geordie

Few year back I found a pile of garden trimmings. In there was a stick with a junction on the top. It seemed like a good idea to rescue it, and bring it home! It sat for around 20 month in the cupboard, before I decided to do something with it. Out came the chisels and I made a start. I started to remove the excess material from around the cuts and started to shape the beak. Then I had to even off the sides, this is where the spoke shave came into play! After evening off both sides as best as I could, I carried on with shaping, and profiling. I got to this point, and here is will stay untill I get round to doing a little more!

2014-12-19_13_48_33.jpg

Print yourself some pictures of the bird a left view a right view a view from the front and one from the rear then pin them up somewere and use them as a fererence.

A great book to lookout for is called "stick making " "a complete course" by Andrew jones and clive george i use this book all the time i am stick making.

• 2 months later...

Moving on a little. Set about smoothing off the surface and finding a balance across both sides!

2015-02-24_23_23_30.jpg

Then I marked out for some more carving. This time carving the detail.

2015-02-24_23_34_46.jpg

2015-02-24_23_34_59.jpg

I will now have to wait until my carving set turns up. Found a set for £3 on the internet. Then when it arrives I can get started.

Edited by Lord Geordie