Bloody Dry lining

Fisherman Mike

I'm assuming that the problem is that you cannot get the pole to fix to the wall correctly.

Plasterboard isn't ment to support the weight of such things, try using a loooong screw and fixing into the block instead.

Or you could try to get a collapsible metal fixing in, I hang kitchen units with lots of those.

Hope this helps.

I managed to get away from the new house construction industry when mass use of dot and dab plastering and lightweight Thermalite blocks started. Could see the collapse of standards even then, and now I won't employ these methods unless specifically asked to by a client.

Nope tried them ...several different variations about as much use as a chocolate fireguard :yes::lol:

I ended up using frame fixings 4in long through the plasterboard the cavity of the dry lining and into the blockwork behind..trouble is even they are u.s. if you have a steel lintel above the window head...

All houses which are dry lined should have at least a 25mm continuous plywood pattress fixed above the window or a continuous band of dab adhesive.

Just wasted a whole morning dicking about with a curtain pole that would have taken me about an hour in a traditionally plastered house. GRRR :mad:

Thorsman do a blue and white plastic plug with a metal machine bolt inside for plasterboard, one of the best fixings I've used. Other than that the brolly clips. Fisher expanded plasterboard fixings with a setting tool.

I've been known to cut out the plaster board and fix a batten to the wall and then caulk the joint.

Edited by figgy

It happens a lot Mike, I make sure 25 mm plywood pa tresses are used on my builds, behind all fixing points ie above windows etc in bathrooms and kitchens (where required)as an ex joiner( now site manager) it's a pain in the ***** when it comes to fix the smaller items. As said you can fix straight into the block work with longer screws, but be careful not to over tighten the screws and crush the dry lining boards,

Atb

Flynny

It happens a lot Mike, I make sure 25 mm plywood pa tresses are used on my builds, behind all fixing points ie above windows etc in bathrooms and kitchens (where required)as an ex joiner( now site manager) it's a pain in the ***** when it comes to fix the smaller items. As said you can fix straight into the block work with longer screws, but be careful not to over tighten the screws and crush the dry lining boards,

Atb

Flynny

Exactly what I was going to say .

We use 18mm mdf behind where we know we will fix . I've know me line the studding with 18mm mdf full sheets then screw the plaster board over it. It's superb then

I am having every single external wall on my new house dry lined and insulated. What instructions should I give to the builder about battens or other means of fixing curtain poles?

Are they using insulated plasterboard,ie a 12mm board with the 25mm insulation stuck to the back of board,if so they could just fix a 25mm x 50 mm batten to existing surface then go over it just cutting out the insulation

Nope tried them ...several different variations about as much use as a chocolate fireguard :yes::lol:

I ended up using frame fixings 4in long through the plasterboard the cavity of the dry lining and into the blockwork behind..trouble is even they are u.s. if you have a steel lintel above the window head...

All houses which are dry lined should have at least a 25mm continuous plywood pattress fixed above the window or a continuous band of dab adhesive.

Just wasted a whole morning dicking about with a curtain pole that would have taken me about an hour in a traditionally plastered house. GRRR :mad:

Our house was built in the early 70s i think and got the same problem.

Somebody didn't buy the setting tool......

You don't want to know what I have fitted with those.....

We ask for pattressing all the time and don't get it!

Bigger issue the bracketry supplied is often designed for solid walls only!

The Americans are the only people to put a man on the moon and most of their houses are made out of sticks.....