Only a matter of time - Ebola in Scotland

poontang

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing how excited we all are by this, PW, the tabloids and TV. One person in 60m+ infected when working in the thick of this who no doubt will now be treated successfully just doesn't seem to warrant more than a couple of lines one one day in the press. I'm really bored with the whole subject. Let's all grow up and move on to something interesting or which just might affect us.

i agree its irresponsible to knowingly travel with the virus but short of snogging whoever it is people are safe

People used to think like this regarding HIV

So are you saying that the health workers who have been infected, despite their protective clothing, have contracted Ebola from snogging the patients? :rolleyes:

But again I must say are we (media etc inc PW members) blowing this up out of all proportion? So far it is one person out of our population of 63m+ and when you add in the millions of people transfers between countries it puts the risk to the rest of us so small it is off the scale. Why are we not kicking off big time about road deaths, cancer, domestic violence, smoking-related deaths, etc etc etc. let's get this in proportion and do something about the big things.

But again I must say are we (media etc inc PW members) blowing this up out of all proportion? So far it is one person out of our population of 63m+ and when you add in the millions of people transfers between countries it puts the risk to the rest of us so small it is off the scale. Why are we not kicking off big time about road deaths, cancer, domestic violence, smoking-related deaths, etc etc etc. let's get this in proportion and do something about the big things.

As a country we spend a fortune in time, money and resources 'doing something about the big things.'

If only we spent a fraction of that in protecting the population against what could be the next 'big thing' then I'm sure nobody would be complaining.

To be concerned about an outbreak of Ebola in this country is perfectly natural. There's no mass hysteria or 'prepping' for an Ebola apocalypse going on here, but there are some pretty serious questions that need to be asked about the whole screening process of people arriving here from infected areas.

It may be an over reaction but tell that to the people who were on the same flight as this poor woman, the family and friends.

As I said before, she caught ebola despite having all the safety equipment and the so called experts still can't agree on transmission risks so I think we should be worried.

If there was a decent quarantine regime in place ordinary people wouldn't have been put at risk.

As for the relatively small numbers, well when bubonic plague hit it started with just a few cases, so did HIV.

er its not about 1 in 63 million is it? its about 1 of a VERY small group who have had contact with this disease and one of a very small group that supposedly knew how to prevent any infection, if you want to quantify lets do it honestly please.

KW

Edited by kdubya