scam

dawntredder

has anyone on here been scammed lately?....I have been scammed although they have not taken any money they nearly had me....they are of Asian decent by there accent and they call your phone and tell you that your computer has been corrupted and claim they are from windows and are going to fix the problem but after along discussion they ask for £89.95 up front that's when I put phone down,very convincing....anyway they have got in to my details on this forum I believe by putting a pop-up were you sign in and actually there is another one there when I have just signed in saying I have to messages on the watch using there icons :/ the one that got me was an ad for stocks and shares it was covering the password column were you sign in to the watch and I could not sign in because of it,so I clicked on it to shift it and that's how I believe they got in to my details......I am telling you this now coz I have just got in from graft...I am not meant to be using this laptop until it is cleaned so al sign off.....just watch out coz there is filthy scum about!!!! cheers dt. :ninja:

Edited by Robbie Forster

A big scam that goes on all the time is to phone you from a premium number and hang up when you answer or before you answer. The idea is that people see they have a missed call and phone back to see who it was.

Then they keep you talking very politely for a few minutes "trying to find out who called you" then apologise for the confusion and say if its is important the person will phone you back but they don't know who it was at the moment.

Most victims don't even realise they have been scammed

We retain no details of members beyond their email address, so even if the Forum was hacked (which it has never been) there are no personal details here and certainly not telephone numbers for them to phone.

The scam you are referring to, where someone pretends to be from Microsoft and tells you your PC is infected, but they will help you clean it, has been around for ages.

I have had this - but being MS certified gives me a bit of a lead on them.

One I had I strung them along and when they asked for me to go to a site on the internet - I replied sorry I don't have the internet - another one is you have a Mac.

Wife hates it when I get a cold caller when I answer the phone - I say just a minute - put the phone down (without hanging up) for a few minutes - pick it up and ask if they are still there - if they are I say thanks for waiting - then hang up :)

The Kids love it when I play deaf - in fact my youngest has done this himself when he has answered the phone...

Today I had one for a survey - a quick few questions and I wouldn't be bothered again - I went "what - you can stop all the cold calls we get?" - he hung up........

Why get mad when you can have fun - but I feel sorry for,the people who do get conned by these people.

FYI a lot of it comes from abroad over VOIP connections and one of the biggest providers of this service is Cable &Wireless (ie Indian call centers - not your lone scammer)

Steve

I've had the Microsoft windows fix scam before, I strung them along for half and hour eventually telling them I wasn't connected to the Internet etc just so I could hear what they planned to do. That particular scam always seems to come out of India or Pakistan.

They don't have any private details on you, it's just a random number cold call.

There are loads of scams out there.

A big one that's been around for a while is through email or text. It gets sent from your bank or PayPal and it looks very real.

Message can be anything from your password needs changing to there is a problem with your account and it asks you to log on giving you a link or clicky.

Never log on through the clicky they provide. You should always come out of the text message or email and go through the Internet to log in. Logging in through the link they provide and bingo, they have your password.

Had this also a few months back laughed my **** off as im level 3 certi ict technison. He was deffently from another contry claiming to be microsoft employee.. So phone down unpluged internet and cheak myself for any issues or spyware, which i was totaly fine,.. Wonder how they got my number though? It a shame people do fall for this scams :(

My dad was scammed 2 weeks ago. He lost nearly 5 grand. He said they claimed they were talk talk but he could be wrong - maybe they said Microsoft. He is well rattled and hasn't used his laptop or hudl since.

He's 74. Thieving scum are based in Hong Kong according to Santander.

There are a myriad of scams to be aware of e.g. "we could not deliver your package-find your address, needs signing for, ring the number below to arrange alternate delivery dates" The number is (if you're daft to ring it) a very high premium rate number and by the time they mess around looking for the right department you have spent £50/£100 or more.

Be aware there are twits out there.

Edit= sodding sticky space bar

Edited by Sha Bu Le

I've had the Microsoft calls for at least 50 times over the years, going ExD hasn't helped much. The last time was a few weeks ago when I told the caller : no you're not from Microsoft, you're a scammer after money. No sir I'm not, why would you say that says she, at which point I actually laughed out loud and said well it's because I don't have any problems with my computer and Microsoft don't cold call people.

She genuinely kept carrying on with her line and wouldn't give in so eventually bid her good bye.

Trying to buy a seriously nice van that was cheap recently,guy never replied through phone,went straight to email,could not view van in person(working in Scotland,in military going to new Zealand),instead he wanted me to pay via paypal and he would deliver van at his cost and would sign refund policy on paypal so I would have van for 5-7 days to test and if I didn't want it he would refund money.

Then he wanted all my paypal details.

Didn't buy that one,if its to good to be true................

Guest cookoff013

Someone pretended to be Vodafone once.

Had a good chat.

I had repeated missed calls from the number. Checked out online and it was them.

We had quite a chat about phones, contract renewals, upper tariffs, overseas text allowance.

I hadn't the heart to tell him I'm on pay as you go.

Well, non until 10 minutes had passed!

guy at my broadband supplier says they might of put a key-blocker on my computer or sumit like that which could end up them taken my money from my accounts anyone know if this is possible....me heads battered with it coz am in the middle of sorting out a new motor...any advice would be gratefull thanks...dt :good:

You can download virtual keyboards which bypass some of this and some AV products have them built in

One of the simplest things was what Bank of Scotland which put a drop down box to enter a security code. However the boxes were seeded with random numbers - only the change was sent not the actual value. So if your number was 5 and the random number in the box was seven, a -2 would be sent

2 factor authentication is becoming the norm now. In fact Microsoft are quite hot on it, sending a text to your phone with a code for changing any details etc..

I also have had this call. Strange though as I tried to explain that my windows were fine and only recently I had new double glazing fitted.

They then tried to tell me it was my Computor windows.

I then said I have an Apple iMac and apple laptop and an apple iPhone.

Beeeeeeeeeeeep was the answer

Pretence that I don't speak English is my usual defence. If you can talk Cockney back slang it sounds like English and is enough to keep them on the line as they think you might just understand them.

Having kept one Indian sounding lady on the phone for five minutes she suddenly twigged and said, very loudly, "Oh **** off" and slammed the phone down one me. Now I call that a real result.