Theft advice.

scorpius

On last Thursday night thieves broke into my workshop, they cut the power 3 cables to the security lights, and stole approx. £5000 worth of

tools, inc Ride on Mower, my insurance will not begin to cover the losses, but I advise everybody to take photographs of items, date of purchase serial numbers and receipts because without evidence you cannot make an insurance claim. To all, learn from my mistakes.

Edited by scorpius

Really sorry to here that mate hope you can recover soon. My mates van got done over about three weeks ago and lost £4000 worth of tools and the insurance wouldn't pay out either. It's mad because he normally empties his van. He has really struggled to get back to normal and had to put tools on a credit card to keep the money coming in.

The good news the people got caught and are now back inside but it still doesn't get his money or tools back as they got into a police chase and threw tools out of the window at the coppers so the tools were destroyed

Edited by michufc

Really sorry to here that mate hope you can recover soon. My mates van got done over about three weeks ago and lost £4000 worth of tools and the insurance wouldn't pay out either. It's mad because he normally empties his van. He has really struggled to get back to normal and had to put tools on a credit card to keep the money coming in.

The good news the people got caught and are now back inside but it still doesn't get his money or tools back as they got into a police chase and threw tools out of the window at the coppers so the tools were destroyed

Do you know why his insurance wouldn't pay out? I had my van done over two weeks ago and I'm in the process of claiming on my tool insurance that is part of my public liability. One good thing is I took photos of all my kit on the advice of a friend and I have receipts for everything but my petrol cutter which is older than my seven year financial records that I keep for work.

sorry to hear of your loss,

its really worth taking the time to read the proverbial small print, it also goes without saying some insurers are more "commercial" than others and will use any and every opportunity to avoid paying out, quite often it would have made little or no difference to the event.

Sorry to hear you have lost that lot! Hopefully the theiving **** will trip and impale himself on a screwdriver he has stolen!

As for insurance companies! Some can be just as bad or even WORSE than the thieves! Any opportunity of backing out of payment and they will find it! Some small bit of policy wording within 50,000 pages and your had over a barrel.

I Had just had a brand new carpet fitted in my hallway! Then got a new door "inc painting" and the painter got paint on the carpet!

Because I couldn't find the reciept I couldn't claim!

Had a boat engine stolen from the shed! Insurers then said they did not cover motorised items?

Having said that though! A friends Dad did well out of the insurance!

Had a house fire in the kitchen! There were two small paintings on the wall of what looked to be the lake district! Didn't know the value of them but they were badly damaged!

Insurance company covered all the damage in the house due to smoke damage and rebuilt the kitchen etc! Then he had to get the paintings appraised,

Turns out they were worth £3.5k each

The fire was started due to a candle left burning. they still paid out!

I had some stuff nicked a few years back, I had no receipt , no manual, in fact no evidence of actually having said items that i claimed for that were stolen. Yet i still received replacement articles.

I guess its different insurance company's policy's

It's happened to us many a time. Our quad and ride on mower was stolen on the same night, and my dad's vintage motorbike was also taken a few years ago. My dad was fuming. I was mugged a few months ago, and my phone was stolen, which was a present from my grandparents, as well as given a kick-in. It was only then I realised how horrible it is to have something taken from you, so you have my deepest sympathies. All I thought about for days, was what I could have and should have done. It's a truly horrible feeling.

Now we just have things mega secure. Youve just got to make things impossible for thieves to take. The stupid thing was is that there was a local scumbag who was well-known by the police for thievery, and by the locals. He went to prison a year ago, and theft in our area has dropped 100%. Go figure.

I have said it before please register here

https://www.immobilise.com

It's the public face of the database the police check when checking if property is stolen....

Give them a chance

You can register your dogs microchips even..... Anything which is check able....

It really works but needs you to be proactive to get the best out of it.....

Do you know why his insurance wouldn't pay out? I had my van done over two weeks ago and I'm in the process of claiming on my tool insurance that is part of my public liability. One good thing is I took photos of all my kit on the advice of a friend and I have receipts for everything but my petrol cutter which is older than my seven year financial records that I keep for work.

It's due to not having up to date photos

we had the toilet window cut out when i worked at a maasey dealers ,only 1 cop for 5000 houses .derbyshire polices own stats by the way .the night watchman clubbed down his dog battered by the scum.all the stihl chainsaws and brushcutters and husky stuff stolen.cops arrived 3 hours after ADT reported said alarm .came to take fingerprints 2 days later saying its a shop no point.insurance said blah blah get lost.mm insurance as has been posted is luck of the draw.and police cutbacks dont hold your breath when you make that call.not their fault but them political politicians tooo busy claiming to admit its theirs

I have just received an Email regarding my insurance claim, (a) the John Deere ride on mower that was stolen with the trailer is

not covered because it is classed as a motorised vehicle and attachments. (b) unless I can supply serial numbers for each

of the pieces of equipment, Stihl 14in chain saw, Stihl pressure washer, 2 Stihl brushwood cutters, plus many other power

tools, my claim will not be entertained. How many keep individual serial numbers, a sales receipt is not sufficient.

I highly recommend "SAGA HOME INSURANCE" pass it onto your enemies.