CPSA NAME CHANGE

Catamong

Well, some hot news from my spy at the CPSA AGM, the ballot has taken place and the result is:

For the name change to "Target" 282 votes.

Against the name change 503 votes.

Therefore there will be no name change to "Clay Target Shooting Association"

A clear example of member power voting against the PC brigade..??

Cat.

Mungler,

Not too sure whether they will, they could see from the number of proxy forms that were coming in that they going to be defeated a week or so ago, no doubt that's given them time to prepare a politicians style answer, and turn a defeat into a "victory"..?? :good:

Cat.

Well done to all those who voted, definately the correct result. :good:

Hopefully its a done deal

19000 non voters where i used to work

it was excepted any non voters agreed with what ever changes = 19000 in favour

eagleye

They may still do this, it depends on how much money they've spent already on re-branding :D

They can't, they stated what would be required and it wasn't met.

Personally I think the mis-management regards spending (near enough that makes no difference £70k) on "re branding" prior to the vote makes the positions held by the current board untenable.

A vote of no confidence in the chairman and the rest of the board should be called for and an EGM held as per the rules of association and let the membership decide.

There was a lot of talk at the AGM on the cost of rebranding.

They hadn't spent any money yet on the name change, they'd run all their existing stock down yes but actually not spent a penny on the name change. They had ear marked some money should the name change have gone ahead in this coming years finances.

I will say one thing, this may surprise some of you it certainly did surprise me. I just hadn't thought of this at all. The board of directors could certainly have swung the vote in their favour by simply recruiting proxy FOR votes. This is a pefectly legal thing to do, they are all individual members of the CPSA and therefore they also have a vote. They took a stand not to do this, they thought the result should come from the feeling of the members that cared enough to vote. Less than 5% of members did actually vote. How sad.

Anyway the result that matters is the name change will not go ahead. I don't suppose they'll try this again for another couple of years.

That's all, it's been a very long day and I'm going to tuck into a bottle of wine now.

I'm not a member of the CPSA either, but I am pleased to see some commonsense prevail.

A lot of members Organisations (especially those with wage earning staff), become so out of touch with their members, that conflict is almost inevitable at some point.

Some of the recreational sea fishing Organisations are now in the same boat (pun intended) , after having talks with Defra and almost suggesting a sea fishing licence and bag limits, in exchange for better inshore fishing (something that Defra can never guarantee, but the licence and bag limits will come).

There is now a tremendous backlash from their membership, as Defra have sent out their draft proposals, including the licence charge and bag limits, saying it is broadly supported by the recreational sea fishing Organisations.

I'm not a member of the CPSA either, but I am pleased to see some commonsense prevail.

A lot of members Organisations (especially those with wage earning staff), become so out of touch with their members, that conflict is almost inevitable at some point.

Some of the recreational sea fishing Organisations are now in the same boat (pun intended) , after having talks with Defra and almost suggesting a sea fishing licence and bag limits, in exchange for better inshore fishing (something that Defra can never guarantee, but the licence and bag limits will come).

There is now a tremendous backlash from their membership, as Defra have sent out their draft proposals, including the licence charge and bag limits, saying it is broadly supported by the recreational sea fishing Organisations.

I'm not a member of the CPSA but it's good news there has been no change. Changing words does nothing to enhance a sport or organisation. The CPSA has an important part to play for those that just want to shoot clay pigeons but also countrymen who want to improve their marksmanship and kill live quarry as humanely as possible. The spin merchants don't like this connection but fundementally this is why most people shoot the stuff out of a trap. Long may the CPSA prosper. :blink:

Just like the Labour Government then :good:

Being one of the few who did bother to vote (against!!) even if it was by proxy I am elated at the outcome but really disappointed by the indolence of the membership....... 19,000 non voters :blink:

Well that is wrong in itself, you are a member despite your age. I know you cannot vote in general and local elections until you are 18 but there should have been no restriction on the CPSA vote.

They still take your money each year and you are allowed a shotgun so why not a vote. I would have challenged that one straightaway

There is now a message on the CPSA website to the effect that the name change will not go through, it says "surprisingly only 3% of members took the time to vote" and "80 members attended the meeting", by my reckoning that's about one and a half coach loads.

I had visions of hundreds of disgruntled members literally swamping the hotel to make a personal protest, obviously it didn't happen.

When you consider that a good few of the 80 that turned up were CPSA staff, Regional Reps, ground owners and others that would have gone anyway, it was indeed a very low turnout.

Cat.