Shed measurement query

Doc Holliday

Just had the new shed delivered. Turns out my base is approx. 50mm short along the width. 10' x 8' = 3.1m x 2.4m in my book. We've been using the decimal system fully since 1971 so how come sheds seems to be the exception to this rule? Cheeky ******* want to charge me £35 plus 10% of the shed cost to come back. Me thinks I'll be having a fight about this one but if anyone can shed (no pun intended) any light on the above then that would be great.

Is your base concrete? Internal or external fixings to overhanging sides or gables may be a possibility if so.

I think the OP means the wooden prefabricated base of the shed when he says base. If so sheds are usually constructed so that the upright sides fix onto the side of the base. Therefore the shed width would be width of base plus the thickness of the two sides.

The error is in the conversion from Imperial to metric. The suppliers are likely spot on.

Suggest a length of suitable angle iron is affixed to one side of the base, or the shed is perched on some wide timber runners which can be fixed to the base. Another alternative, depending on the thickness of the timber cladding, might be to increase the effective size of the shed uprights which should be supporting the structure.

The necessary fix will depend on the thickness and strength of the base. The alternative is stumping up for the restocking fee. That would include transport cost and checking for damage, before redirecting to another customer.

I think the OP means the wooden prefabricated base of the shed when he says base. If so sheds are usually constructed so that the upright sides fix onto the side of the base. Therefore the shed width would be width of base plus the thickness of the two sides.

Ah, I see. My mistake.

Its best to put the shed on some 4x2 or similar to help with air flow and avoid rot.

I would have these made to the shed length and then have them overhang the base a small amount, probably the cheapest solution.

Sound advice Luke. I was just thinking about that whilst reading the posts.

Measure twice... cut once ! :yes:

Thank you FM. I fully accept that is was my faux pas in even daring to assume that people still went with actual imperial measurements. Where was me head? Don't answer that. Still, if nothing else it has bolstered one thing, assumptions still remain the mother of **** ups. A simple phone call to the supplier would have negated any ambiguity. It still doesn't answer why sheds are made to imperial measurements though.

Sound advice Luke. I was just thinking about that whilst reading the posts.

Thank you FM. I fully accept that is was my faux pas in even daring to assume that people still went with actual imperial measurements. Where was me head? Don't answer that. Still, if nothing else it has bolstered one thing, assumptions still remain the mother of **** ups. A simple phone call to the supplier would have negated any ambiguity. It still doesn't answer why sheds are made to imperial measurements though.

Indeed, but frankly does it matter, it isn't difficult to convert!

No doubt someone will correct me but I understand fence panels are still imperial, perhaps time for another thread.......

................. What is still sold in Imperial?

:good: