Guy Martin racing in the TT races.....WOW!!!!!

Archie-fox

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a daft question, but the paint they use for road markings on the TT circuit, is it bog standard road paint or do they use something that is a bit grippier given the unique circumstance of these roads?

i would imagine so, all the road circuits over here have 'grit' through the white lines

When you consider what must be done for safety on race tracks and in the various race series/formulas for bike or car it is staggering that the TT continues to run. Long may it continue though.

Amazing video, but would frighten me to death.

clearly not enough yet another fatality this year

can you imagine trying to organise a mma or boxing tournament in which 2 or 3 people died every time it would be shut down instantly and you'd be in the nick

clearly not enough yet another fatality this year

can you imagine trying to organise a mma or boxing tournament in which 2 or 3 people died every time it would be shut down instantly and you'd be in the nick

IIRC correctly the TT has been going since 1907 and there have been 141 deaths at the circuit.

Everest has claimed around 250 lives since records began in 1922.

F1 has seen 50 deaths since the 1950s.

52 Football players have died either in a match or during training.

So, when you consider those figures the death rate whilst high at first glance isn`t really that bad considering the circumstances of the race and how long it`s been running.

Every rider knows the risks and they all willingly take part. Obviously it`s sad when someone dies but I for one would hate to see the choice of racing the TT being taken away from those that want to race it by the namby-pamby health and safety brigade.

Long may those brave and incredibly skillful riders be allowed to entertain us.

IIRC correctly the TT has been going since 1907 and there have been 141 deaths at the circuit.

Everest has claimed around 250 lives since records began in 1922.

F1 has seen 50 deaths since the 1950s.

52 Football players have died either in a match or during training.

So, when you consider those figures the death rate whilst high at first glance isn`t really that bad considering the circumstances of the race and how long it`s been running.

Every rider knows the risks and they all willingly take part. Obviously it`s sad when someone dies but I for one would hate to see the choice of racing the TT being taken away from those that want to race it by the namby-pamby health and safety brigade.

👍👍 Edited by Royboy

The TT is nothing to the Macau race.... That is scary!

That did look pretty mental as well, although just based on watching the clips the TT is scarier to me.

Another question, do these bikes have some sort of diff' or clutched drive arrangement so the back wheel doesn't lock up when downshifting, i.e. there is no engine braking?

Completely agree :good:

Another question, do these bikes have some sort of diff' or clutched drive arrangement so the back wheel doesn't lock up when downshifting, i.e. there is no engine braking?

:

Slipper clutch that allows limited slip under reverse torque loads. Often adjustable.

Years ago they were the stuff of gp exotica, today many road bikes have them. Progress, I suppose.

Slipper clutch that allows limited slip under reverse torque loads. Often adjustable.

Years ago they were the stuff of gp exotica, today many road bikes have them. Progress, I suppose.

Thanks, I am not a biker, but it listening to the engine noise in that last clip I assumed there had to be as the rider stayed in his seat.

It is progress if many/most road bikes have them too, one wee mistake in matching engine revs to road speed and it could be a bit painful.

Edited by grrclark

Can't agree there I'm afraid. As much as I agree the Macau is scary, there isn't much chance of hitting a tree, someones cast iron garden railings or coming to a sudden stop against someones gable end on the Macau circuit.

Personally I wouldn't do either circuit unless I was in a car. Have done it in a 7.5 tonne wagon (the TT, not Macau) though admittedly it is difficult to get your knee down. :yes:

Edited by Scully

Great rider but made a complete fool of himself at the North West a fortnight ago, he is quite unliked by a lot of true Road Racing fans.

He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

Ate a lot of humble pie last week!

I hope he has a safe fortnight.

Can't agree there I'm afraid. As much as I agree the Macau is scary, there isn't much chance of hitting a tree, someones cast iron garden railings or coming to a sudden stop against someones gable end on the Macau circuit.

Personally I wouldn't do either circuit unless I was in a car. Have done it in a 7.5 tonne wagon (the TT, not Macau) though admittedly it is difficult to get your knee down. :yes:

Nor much risk of cats, dogs, deer, sheep etc etc............and not forgetting...heaven forbid, another vehicle making its way on to the public road circuit.

Sorry but I don't think you can compare

Macau is 3 and a bit miles per lap.......you can't see them but there are run off areas.......its all armco so if the worst happens you are going to slide and bump your way down the track and still do a lot of damage

but

The TT is 37 miles long.......trees/brick walls/lamp posts everything including livestock

Watch Connor Cummins 2010 crash.......not pretty, but at least he survived

:shaun:

Sorry but I don't think you can compare

Macau is 3 and a bit miles per lap.......you can't see them but there are run off areas.......its all armco so if the worst happens you are going to slide and bump your way down the track and still do a lot of damage

but

The TT is 37 miles long.......trees/brick walls/lamp posts everything including livestock

Watch Connor Cummins 2010 crash.......not pretty, but at least he survived

Wow.....did he land in front of that drystone wall and then bounce over it? Very lucky man.

When we were there a marshall was killed. He was on his bike and not a standing marshall. I don't know the circumstances.

Wow.....did he land in front of that drystone wall and then bounce over it? Very lucky man.

When we were there a marshall was killed. He was on his bike and not a standing marshall. I don't know the circumstances.

He must be the luckiest guy to have crashed on the TT

Here are some of his X-Rays

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2010/august/aug1710-cummins-x-rays/

Great rider but made a complete fool of himself at the North West a fortnight ago, he is quite unliked by a lot of true Road Racing fans.

He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

Ate a lot of humble pie last week!

I hope he has a safe fortnight.

I saw Closer to the Edge for the first time last week and thought he made a tit of himself protesting about the penalty for speeding in the pit lane.

If they hadn't given him the penalty the guy he would have beaten (who didn't speed in the pit lane) would have lodged a complaint and they would

have had to apply the penalty. He knows the rules, he was acting like a wee kid who didn't like being told off.

Having said that he's entertaining on TV and I hope they all have a safe weekend.