Chickens?

Tomk282

Anyone here got chickens/poultry of any type? New batch of bantams are due out of the incubator today :yahoo:

Ill get some pics up when they start hatching

just raised 10 of our own ducks in an incubator, also had a complete fail of the 40 eggs I bought but thats another story

Haven't got any yet, but plan to get a few this summer, just for eggs for the family and to amuse the wife.

Any starter tips be most welcome.

good fence if in your garden, better still a moveable enclosed coop with run to let them keep down weeds and pests, you wont want to eat another shop bought egg

We have 5 and they will sit on your knee and eat out of your hand. Warrens are nice friendly hens and lay well.

TIP: Don't let hens run loose in your garden if you are keen on gardening, they will scratch up the soil and eat any plant vagley edible.

They will eat fruit and veg peelings and go mad for over ripe bananas. Don't feed onion, leeks etc as it taints the eggs.

Got about 12, just got 8 ex battery hens. Poor things in a real bad state, they were even completely scared of the grass.

The wife had sone ex battery hens some years ago for 50p each . I made a pen and a run and they would not come out in to the sun. No feathers, debeaked they looked a motley crew . Six months on strutting round the garden fully feathered and no slugs etc in the garden. The local kids would come round and ask if they really lay eggs?????

Urban fox had the lot one night.

Keeping hens is great but can get a tad expensive if your wife gets into fancy breeds some of which are £20 a pop and can get ill and die very easily.

Some basic animal husbandry is essentisal though, be sure to shut the hens away at night after they put themselves away, that will prevent Mr Fox helping himself. Don't leave excess food around in the evening, especially late summer onwards, rats will soon become a problem otherwise.

Be aware of Carrions and Magpies they can take chicks in the blink of an eye even in an urban environment.

Other than that they are great and very easy to keep, they will make good use of kitchen leftovers and any of the neighbours grass cuttings. As said the eggs are in a different league taste wise to those bought from the supermarket.

Keeping hens is great but can get a tad expensive if your wife gets into fancy breeds some of which are £20 a pop and can get ill and die very easily.

Some basic animal husbandry is essentisal though, be sure to shut the hens away at night after they put themselves away, that will prevent Mr Fox helping himself. Don't leave excess food around in the evening, especially late summer onwards, rats will soon become a problem otherwise.

Be aware of Carrions and Magpies they can take chicks in the blink of an eye even in an urban environment.

Other than that they are great and very easy to keep, they will make good use of kitchen leftovers and any of the neighbours grass cuttings. As said the eggs are in a different league taste wise to those bought from the supermarket.

I was warned against letting mine have grass cuttings due to them choking if they eat too much, so I never did. Has anyone else heard this? or is it rubbish?

Saying that the fox had mine anyway.

Regards

H

I was warned against letting mine have grass cuttings due to them choking if they eat too much, so I never did. Has anyone else heard this? or is it rubbish?

Regards

H

Mine have had grass cuttings for the last ten years with no deaths! To be fair they enjoy scratting amongst them as much as eating them.

Edited by aga man

Regards

H

What can happen when eating grass-they get sour crop. Their crop sometimes cannot breakdown long grass and it ferments and eventually poisons them. Two ways of helping a hen which has it is massage the crop and the contents inside or make a small incission and pull the stuff out.

Update on the chicks -

Have 6 Buff Peking

6 millefleur pekin

6 Aylesbury ducks in the incubator

Buff are due today and the millefleur tomorrow, only had one buff so far and rest looking abit quiet! Haven't candle them since 10days and some are looking like they stopped developing half way!

1 so far and hopefully a few more to come over next 24 hours! It's been a long 21 days wait!

Already have 4 aylesburys and 4 hybrid layers btw

What can happen when eating grass-they get sour crop. Their crop sometimes cannot breakdown long grass and it ferments and eventually poisons them. Two ways of helping a hen which has it is massage the crop and the contents inside or make a small incission and pull the stuff out.

It might have been that and I got it twisted :good:

I have 5 hens, 3 appenzellas, 1 cream legbar and an 8 year old lavender aracana that still gives me the odd egg, so easy to keep altough I feed a complete food with a few greens now and then. great fun to watch when they are strutting around the garden.

Outlander

5 ginger nut hens get between 3/5 eggs a day,2 karky Campbell ducks Get 2 eggs a day ( but currently both sitting on clutches of six) 2 drake Indian runner ducks & a Swedish cock ( who I can't stand & he don't like me) So if anyone in Durham wants the little spotty **** you can come and take him.

post-30855-0-54295900-1434314210_thumb.jpg

just got 5 buff orpingtons, only had them a week so any tips/advice appreciated, probably starting with how to stop my thick weimeraner holding point next to the coop.

Hopefully he will get bored with it soon. Our Setter can't get to the garden area where the chickens are, but he used to drool and point at the ferrets aviary. The novelty wore off eventually and he ignores them now.