Swan shooting

Livefast123

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/crime/cruel-pair-admit-shooting-swan-dead-for-target-practice-with-air-gun-1-7319559

Another deterrent sentence for illegal airgun use???

I'm no wildfowler but even i can tell the difference between an swan and goose on the ground.........they are both white...your honour

Edited by Livefast123

As long as there are stupid idiots like these in the world they will slowly bang the nails into the coffin of shooting.Here's an idea for the bench, how about using your powers and sending a message out there by jailing these morons for a good while.I despair.

More idiots, more bad publicity. Another case that will be trotted out when licensing rears its head in England and Wales.

A complete failure by the courts to make an example of two criminals who either didn't know the law or completely disregarded it.

Should people like that be allowed to buy an air rifle? How do we stop them?

More idiots, more bad publicity. Another case that will be trotted out when licensing rears its head in England and Wales.A complete failure by the courts to make an example of two criminals who either didn't know the law or completely disregarded it.Should people like that be allowed to buy an air rifle? How do we stop them?

That's the problem,people like that can.You see them most days in my village just walking to the local pond or woods up to no good,even been some issued with racing pigeons shot of the top of their lofts.These idiots have no idea of the laws ( or their parents) ,there is a couple of lads walk past my allotment at least once a week with airguns ( in slips) but they are only 15 yr old.I reported a bloke who had an allotment next to mine just last year for shooting a Wren and a couple of other small birds.Looks like licencing Is the only control I'm afraid.

Edited by Davyo

More idiots, more bad publicity. Another case that will be trotted out when licensing rears its head in England and Wales.

A complete failure by the courts to make an example of two criminals who either didn't know the law or completely disregarded it.

Should people like that be allowed to buy an air rifle? How do we stop them?

Yep, and another incident reported as a 'firearms incident'.

Not sure what you mean by 'people like that' though.

That about sums them up.

But as an aside, why were they interviewed by an RSPCA officer, what the hell is he doing in a legal situation.? I would have refused to speak to him.

That crossed my mind too.

And why was the prosecution brought by the RSPCA, and not the police?

If my car was stolen, I'd expect the culprit to be prosecuted by the police, not my insurance company.

It seems as though the police have taken a 'hand the weapon in' and we'll forget the offences involved which is a shame as we seem to constantly miss the opportunity to set a precedent that air rifle offences are generally serious and will be dealt with. Whether the court would follow that through is doubtful but if you don't try you don't get. They can now just go and buy another SMK.

I don't even know why they bothered letting the RSPCA prosecute as they basically coughed the job making it straightforward. It also gives more credence to the RSPCA thinking they are some type of law enforcement agency instead of a charity, if they turned up at my door I would just shut it again.

I was a member of an Air rifle sell page on Facebook. One new member wanted advice on shooting tufties and coots while carp fishing as they were eating his bait.

I politely pointed the relevant laws out to the poster and was just met with abuse. Lads were tripping over themselves to recommend a rifle.

We bumped into an angler on our rough shoot who asked us if there was anything we could do about the Mergansers and the 'odd otter'. He just smiled when we asked if he was serious.

Remember quite a few years ago (more than 30). Washington Wildfowl Park bought a black Australian swan. It was a crowd puller (well relatively) anyhoos it disappeared after about 3 months.

Local rag reported rare swan kidnapped ransom demand expected.

How far out was that !! I found out several months later that a fairly local person, licensed shot gunner, had had it away and enjoyed it a lot with a pan of boiled potatoes.

There was a thing in the local paper about ducks disappearing from the pond in the park. Seems like its a big mystery, not to me its not. I know where they are going.

Leave them alone then, greedy ******, go to the supermarket.

I'm probably way off beam as usual - where's Mungler when you need him? Would the RSPCA be a civil action which requires a lower burden of proof?

not always a individual or body has the right to bring criminal proceedings, it just means generally the cps deems it not in the public interest or not enough evidence

Thought swans were protected and property of the queen so I say off with their heads I'm just getting in to air rifles again since I was a kid and this just makes it harder for me to find somewhere to shoot but at the no I'm getting shots down at the rifle club but wanting to get some rabbits for the dogs missus was out with the dogs a few months ago and their were Asian men shooting down by the river by in Bedford I went nuts at her and said you should report them as by law its a public place

Guest rimotu66

I will put my neck on the line here.

Maybe it is time that the possession of air guns including bb's are controlled by licensing the same as shot guns and fire arms are, I would also agree with cross bows been under the same controls.

I will put my neck on the line here.

Maybe it is time that the possession of air guns including bb's are controlled by licensing the same as shot guns and fire arms are, I would also agree with cross bows been under the same controls.

Generally I would agree, the problem is that there are so many airguns in circulation, untraceable, even sold openly at boot sales so even if new sales were registered old ones won't be. The people who WOULD register and licence are the law abiding folks who wouldn't shoot a swan or break the GL or trespass laws anyway. The stupid element would carry on regardless. Maybe the solution is much tougher sentencing when these cases make it to court?

Guest rimotu66

Generally I would agree, the problem is that there are so many airguns in circulation, untraceable, even sold openly at boot sales so even if new sales were registered old ones won't be. The people who WOULD register and licence are the law abiding folks who wouldn't shoot a swan or break the GL or trespass laws anyway. The stupid element would carry on regardless. Maybe the solution is much tougher sentencing when these cases make it to court?

Agreed also, maybe for airguns and crossbows there should be a general usage licence the same as there is for fishing, that way it isn't the airgun that is registered but the user then if they are found without a licence the airgun is confiscated the same as fishing equipment.