A Law unto themselves

tonker

I went out on a bike ride today for a couple of hours.

My bike, Its a Yamaha Warrior 1700:-

post-64160-0-21069400-1434882917_thumb.jpg

Went all over the Mendips Great views and relaxing. on the way back home passed some cyclist doing their normal Sunday morning thing I suppose.

About ten of them I reckon all in their lycra, about a mile or so on there was some road works, which are known to take a while to change, now as I approached them they started changing so I stopped, and so did 2 or 3 cars behind me.

After a minute or two I could see these cyclist coming up to the back of the queue in my mirrors.

Did they stop !! did they ****. They just breezed straight on past the queue past me and through the red light. Now a red light is a red light in any language in doing so they made a lorry clip the kerb in an avoiding manoeuver, no damage or harm came of it, but made me a little cross.

What is it about them, doesn't the highway code or the laws of the road apply to them.

Now I know we can't tar all cyclist with the same brush, as many of us bikers get tarred because we ride big bikes.

But I hope some of the many cyclist on here reply to this and explain the mindset of these people who blatantly disregard the law.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I suppose it's the same as the cars and motorbikes who overtake me and exceed the speed limit.

Don't see that . A red light is a red light to all road users, we've all broken the speed limit in our time some without realizing it and some with.

Whilst speaking of speeding we have near us a 30 limit on a long (about 2k), straightish stretch of road with a park to one side, well known for speed traps (usually plod behind hedge with a speed gun) so regular users slow as it is very easy to exceed limit. Yesterday was no exception and I spotted trap as I hit the top and slowed to about 25 to allow for hill effect when from behind came a mob of about 10 "cyclepaths", about 1/3 the way down they passed me like I was in reverse and kept going. Were they gunned and done for speeding - not a chance - could they have stopped or avoided a child - also not a chance. As has been said - one rule for the motorist none for the "cyclepaths" :mad::mad:

:lol: I can empathise. Just the other day approaching a skip parked on the opposite side of the road to me (therefore my right of way) I noticed a cyclist going like the clappers towards me on the same side of road as the skip. It wasn't a problem as I knew I'd get to the skip well before him anyhow, but he obviously didn't want to brake at all so took to the pavement. I can only assume he hadn't seen there was a bloke at the far end of the skip to him and I could see what was about to happen if the bloke stepped back onto the pavement. The bloke obviously hadn't seen the cyclist either. I pipped my horn and pointed but of course the pedestrian (whom I knew) looked at me rather than at the cyclist. There was no collision but it was very very close. Bloke wasn't too chuffed; I could see him gesturing at the cyclist in my wing mirror. :) I blame Sir Chris Hoy.

Cant beat a good lets all hate cyclists thread for getting the ever so irate even more so, oh joy.

KW

I don't hate them at all ( some of my mates are very keen cyclists whom get lubed up of a weekend ) for the simple reason that compared to my vehicle they are soft skinned; the idiots amongst them on our narrow country lanes all know who will come off worse. :)

Cant beat a good lets all hate cyclists thread for getting the ever so irate even more so, oh joy.

KW

kdubya, I don't know if your a cyclist or not.

But if their actions result in a 'lets all hate cyclist atmosphere'. They have earned it! and perhaps should look at themselves surely.

Just as we shooters would look at improving our image (I hope) if we were to arouse as much animosity.

Edited by tonker

Cyclists can get fined for dangerous cycling. I knocked a cyclist down a few years back. Hit him some wallop and he slid down the road for about 40 feet with his head inches from my front nearside wheel. He cut right in front of me from the inside of the left lane to go down a side road on the right side of the road. No indication, no lights on the bike, no helmet or protective gear. His brakes didn't work either. Police gave him a stern word and asked me if I wanted to pursue the matter. Left it as is because I think the guy learned from his mistake. Cyclists don't always get away scot free.

Don't see that . A red light is a red light to all road users, we've all broken the speed limit in our time some without realizing it and some with.

Someone nearly everyday overtakes me in my van in a 30 I'm doing 32/33 take your blinkers off

That's not a bike, it's a two wheeled limousine - and a very nice one too.

Thanks wymberly,

I like it, it's very torquey, it's a beast of a bike, I will never be able to outride it that's for sure. it's a far better bike than I will ever be rider if you know what I mean. The front end is off an R1 (inverted forks) and it's got an 8'' back tyre. how can I put it , it's a sports cruiser but handles. :yes:

Someone nearly everyday overtakes me in my van in a 30 I'm doing 32/33 take your blinkers off

You miss my point. I said we all speed sometimes, and if we say we don't we're liars, but we all don't pass stationary vehicles and deliberately go through red lights. Not saying all cyclist do either. Just this bunch of idiots did

Thanks wymberly,

I like it, it's very torquey, it's a beast of a bike, I will never be able to outride it that's for sure. it's a far better bike than I will ever be rider if you know what I mean. The front end is off an R1 (inverted forks) and it's got an 8'' back tyre. how can I put it , it's a sports cruiser but handles. :yes:

As a non biker, I cannot understand what you mean by inverted forks, could you explain please?

Ok mate point taken I'm fairly neutral but a lot of people just straight away jump on the bandwagon and are anti cyclist there's good and bad in all walks of life . I'm thinking of having a dash cam installed because in these past months I've had motorists overtake me and then cut in suddenly to avoid oncoming traffic then you get to the junction which is say a mile up the road and caught them what to **** is that all about it just seems everyone's in a rush .

As a non biker, I cannot understand what you mean by inverted forks, could you explain please?

Tightchoke, Sure no problem. it simply means that the forks are the other way up to normal bikes or upside down if you like, I think it has something to do with improving the damping effect of the forks and makes the front end more responsive, I'm no mechanic I just like riding.

Perhaps someone else could explain it better.