Cecil the Lion - merged threads

hollidca

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't the bulk of the payment for the license to shoot a certain species? So the ph who guides pays the government for the permit and in theory the government issue a sustainable number.

I've no idea about how you shoot lions but with regard to the collar are the collars easy to see? Do you hunt them at night or day? Whichever with a bow you will be close up and personal.

My view is simple. We're not talking about vermin control, deer control or pursuing other quarry species with a sporting element. Nor are we talking about, say, pheasant shooting, itself a rather long-winded and inefficient way of releasing birds into the wild and harvesting a small percentage on the way.

We are talking about a man whose entire leisure time is devoted to killing large, entirely blameless ( ie. not human predators or destructive of crops etc) wild animals in order to demonstrate his virility. Just look at the photos.

I don't care whether it is legal or not. There are enough people who feel that it is fundamentally wrong, who will make their feelings known, that his life will be made difficult. Good!

Surely there are plenty of people who find what we do fudamentally wrong ?

Someone in an earlier post said Lions were endangered. That's not true.

Same gets me when people say Elephant are endangered. That's not true.

I was once told never to judge until you know all circumstances. To be honest the TV and newspaper are not credible sources.

Edited by dodeer

Someone in an earlier post said Lions were endangered. That's not true.

Same gets me when people say Elephant are endangered. That's not true.

I was once told never to judge until you know all circumstances. To be honest the TV and newspaper are not credible sources.

Agreed - the media puts so much spin on things it's difficult to sift out what's the real truth.

I don't think trying to cull a lion with a bow and arrow (Americans seem obsessed with hunting with compound bows) makes him as virile as he thinks. Now, if he really wanted to prove something, he would have tackled the beast armed with nothing but a sharpened paper clip!

I'm not a fan of canned hunts or big game trophy hunting like this - each to their own - but for Gawd's sake use the correct tool for the job. Hunting cull animals (surplus males, barren females, old stock etc) I can justify more easily, but I wouldn't pay huge sums to do it.

Perhaps we should all be careful what we post on the internet. I hate to think what a redtop might make of images of puntgunning, if some public debacle got them interested.

Not to mention the social media mob with their pitchforks sharpened.

:lol: That's exactly the reason I've never put any up of punt gunning, only building a punt and gun...

:good:

There's no mention of it on the LACS website, but is mention of a 'Vegan Festival' upcoming in Edinburgh on 8th August if any meat eaters up there fancy calling in while munching a burger. :yes:

Ooh I missed this, I shall have to have a look. I reckon wearing my iguana boots, eating a roll stuffed full of rare roast beef and offering bits of beef or deer jerky might raise a reaction :)

I suspect that I may get killed without any sense of irony that would be cruel activity toward an animal.....

just an absolute disgrace that this marvellous animal should suffer such a cruel and lengthy death.my personal opinion is that all big game hunting for trophys sake should be banned.cull them when the need arises by all means but not for the pleasure of having a picture standing over the poor animal.some reports say that he had around 24 cubs in his pride which could now face death by the new male that will take his place.i am no expert on big game but if this is the case then a lot of damage could have been done to satisfy his lust.

I will go stalking that day. Much better way to spend my time.... :)

Yes, a much better way to spend your time. Attending the 'festival' with burger in hand would be fun, but as much a waste of time as those who have petitioned Robert Mugabe, about 300,000 so far. He'll be losing sleep over this no doubt. :yes:

Ooh I missed this, I shall have to have a look. I reckon wearing my iguana boots, eating a roll stuffed full of rare roast beef and offering bits of beef or deer jerky might raise a reaction :)

I suspect that I may get killed without any sense of irony that would be cruel activity toward an animal.....

:) Don't forget to post pic's if when you get back. :good:

just an absolute disgrace that this marvellous animal should suffer such a cruel and lengthy death.my personal opinion is that all big game hunting for trophys sake should be banned.cull them when the need arises by all means but not for the pleasure of having a picture standing over the poor animal.some reports say that he had around 24 cubs in his pride which could now face death by the new male that will take his place.i am no expert on big game but if this is the case then a lot of damage could have been done to satisfy his lust.

Please think before you speak...

Big game hunting in Africa and Europe employs thousands of people. Me included.

Most "trophies" whether it be an Ibex in Spain or Elephant or sika stag will generally be hunted when past its prime. I.e an elephant when it's lost it third set of teeth and will starve to death, a Sika stag past his prime and going back. Nature and conservation through hunting is key to keeping habitat and animals around. Animals need culling at certain ages, it all depends on health, habitat, and population balance.

String him up to a tree on the reserve let the lions loose on him then put him out his misery with a hunting bow!!!

Can we do the same when you next wound a pheasant and it's never retrieved?

Most "trophies" whether it be an Ibex in Spain or Elephant or sika stag will generally be hunted when past its prime. I.e an elephant when it's lost it third set of teeth and will starve to death, a Sika stag past his prime and going back. Nature and conservation through hunting is key to keeping habitat and animals around. Animals need culling at certain ages, it all depends on health, habitat, and population balance.

not so sure that pheasants will inflict quite the damage as lions but it would be a slow and lingering death :unhappy:

Yes but surely wounding an animal whether a bird or lion or fox is what we all want to avoid BUT if he had done this to a roe buck or fox would he being getting the same reaction ?

Answer is no.

Just because it's cute and fluffy and has romantic tales attached then people get emotional. Same as all the Badger brigade

Pity you never read what I wrote.There is no problem with culling for the health of the animals however this does not appear to be the case in this lions case.And I don't hold with the lots of people employed justification as most of those like the beaters will be paid a pittance.I would not wish to be part of any industry that takes a pride in pandering to the whims of the sadistic rich to inflict suffering on these animals.for your information I stopped live shooting years ago and even when I was I shot alone never had birds driven to me perhaps these brave hunters should go it alone against the lions and other large game.Or perhaps those odds would not be considered fair.

Yes but surely wounding an animal whether a bird or lion or fox is what we all want to avoid BUT if he had done this to a roe buck or fox would he being getting the same reaction ?

Answer is no.

Just because it's cute and fluffy and has romantic tales attached then people get emotional. Same as all the Badger brigade

I also deplore double standards. kill a million pigs or hens a day, watch children starve or get blown up, and accept it, but heaven forbid we eat the odd panda, sheesh :sad1: