Gun Regulation: Here we go again.

krugerandsmith

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL THIS new is every news, while coming down work 1 hour 10 mint drive heard this news going on and on atleast 10 times... i thnk it is more about making a chance in law so that GP's has to confirm if the applicant has any mental/health issues. As currently it is entirely upto GP either to reply/ignore

Sky news this morning about how we can expect another gun massacre due to the mismanagement of the firearms licensing department inspectorate and how the laws need tightening......

At least they gave the views from a gun instructor,

They dragged up Dunblane again also the Derek Bird incident.

Oh and they also blamed cuts to police budgets

:shaun:

It's not just mental issues though,Its the licencing authorities that's the heart of the problem.I know of 1 lad who had his guns SG removed because he was out in the street one night drunk (with SG) threatening too kill himself.Gun was removed for 12mths,then given back.he has just been granted FAC 22LR,17HMR,222 & 243.he asked me if I could give him advise on what to ask for before he applied(the guy has never even used a Rimfire).I avoided him as thought he had no chance ( in my opinion should never of got his SG back). Was shocked when another mate rang to say he'd been granted,I didn't believe him and said stop winding me up.He then told me shockingly that he'd seen the cert.

More worryingly this is DURHAM we are talking about,the very force that said they would be the toughest force in the UK & where the force that introduced the MED FORM,rather disturbing I think.

Read a small caption in the Metro this morning about this.

Sky news this morning about how we can expect another gun massacre due to the mismanagement of the firearms licensing department inspectorate and how the laws need tightening......

At least they gave the views from a gun instructor,

They dragged up Dunblane again also the Derek Bird incident.

Oh and they also blamed cuts to police budgets

:shaun:

Page 9 of the report, Executive Summary -

"Conclusions Notwithstanding our concerns and criticism of those who are responsible for establishing, maintaining and following the current licensing arrangements, it is only right that we state clearly and unequivocally that the vast majority of decisions concerning the grant, renewal, refusal and revocation of firearm licences are correct."

This is a managerial report on the efficience of the police NOT the safety of the UK gun owners.

Worth a read http://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmic/wp-content/uploads/firearms-licensing-targeting-the-risk.pdf

Where the wheels come of totally is the leap from administrational efficiency of the Police to the final emotional paragraph of the report which leaps into fear mongering about mass shootings

"Despite enhancements in technology, the licensing system still relies on a paperbased application process. Digitisation of the system would reduce bureaucracy, increase transparency, allow applicants to track progress, reduce the variability in the way forces manage the application process and make it much more efficient and effective. We cannot make our position any clearer: it is now for others to accept the need for change. If they do, perhaps the life of the next victim of firearms misuse might be saved. What is highly likely is that, if change is not effected, there will be another tragedy."

The basic premise seems to be that the Police licencing system will prevent futures crimes by inspecting confidential medical records.

If I have it correctly mass shootings are often fired by personality disorder not mental health issues caused by disease processes like depression. Domestic violence is powered by narcissism which is not something that an average GP would diagnose or record in their notes.

Looks like a dogs breakfast to me

Edited by harpoonlouis

I may be wrong but is this not about the Police & Firearms inspectors (admin) in various areas not carrying out there job correctly and is not actually aimed at certificate & licence

holders who already have to answer some medical questions on there applications & renewals

Is it just the press & media twisting the story

Page 9 of the report, Executive Summary -

"Conclusions Notwithstanding our concerns and criticism of those who are responsible for establishing, maintaining and following the current licensing arrangements, it is only right that we state clearly and unequivocally that the vast majority of decisions concerning the grant, renewal, refusal and revocation of firearm licences are correct."

This is a managerial report on the efficience of the police NOT the safety of the UK gun owners.

Worth a read http://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmic/wp-content/uploads/firearms-licensing-targeting-the-risk.pdf

Where the wheels come of totally is the leap from administrational efficiency of the Police to the final emotional paragraph of the report which leaps into fear mongering about mass shootings

"Despite enhancements in technology, the licensing system still relies on a paperbased application process. Digitisation of the system would reduce bureaucracy, increase transparency, allow applicants to track progress, reduce the variability in the way forces manage the application process and make it much more efficient and effective. We cannot make our position any clearer: it is now for others to accept the need for change. If they do, perhaps the life of the next victim of firearms misuse might be saved. What is highly likely is that, if change is not effected, there will be another tragedy."

The basic premise seems to be that the Police licencing system will prevent futures crimes by inspecting confidential medical records.

If I have it correctly mass shootings are often fired by personality disorder not mental health issues caused by disease processes like depression. Domestic violence is powered by narcissism which is not something that an average GP would diagnose or record in their notes.

Looks like a dogs breakfast to me

This is what the press have jumped on.