why is English rugby disliked?

eddoakley

So it's pretty much accepted that the English rugby team/management/set up is disliked. The kind of "I support anyone playing against england" feeling.

Having sobered up a little after last night's fantastic game I have been checking the reaction and 3 different interviews have Stuart Lancaster saying that Wales stayed in the game through penalties and snook a win.

Well as I see it when both sides score one try each and the rest of the points come from the boot then there is no reason to say that they "snook a win". Typical attitude of the rfu (or the public image that it displays) and explains a lot about why people support anyone else.

Great effort from the Welsh side especially considering the injury list!

Bring on the next game!!!!

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Followers of public sporting events, "spectators" says it all really. A bit like goldfish, they keep bumping into the glass of the tank, circle and do it again, over and over and over again as they really have no purpose other than to pay the wages of the players. Next week a game will be won, the world will change for them and all defeats are forgotten in an instant, its thoroughly mesmeric.

????

So it's pretty much accepted that the English rugby team/management/set up is disliked. The kind of "I support anyone playing against england" feeling.

Having sobered up a little after last night's fantastic game I have been checking the reaction and 3 different interviews have Stuart Lancaster saying that Wales stayed in the game through penalties and snook a win.

Well as I see it when both sides score one try each and the rest of the points come from the boot then there is no reason to say that they "snook a win". Typical attitude of the rfu (or the public image that it displays) and explains a lot about why people support anyone else.

Great effort from the Welsh side especially considering the injury list!

Bring on the next game!!!!

Edd

Possibly that English arrogance gets tedious.

I think it's the way the teams are portrayed by the media coverage more than the team themselves.

The hype always leaves you with the impression that the other teams shouldn't bother turning up, plus commentary from the likes of Brian Moore during the 6 Nations, a man who seems incapable of showing any degree of impartiality.

Last nights game was as close as it gets, 1 try each and the rest from the boot, to say Wales snuck a win is to attempt to take away from their victory, a victory from a team missing a large number of starting players.

I think the games have been pretty boring so far. Watching 30 doped up, overbuilt meat heads crash into each other for 80mins isn't exactly exciting. What happened to running with the ball and wing play. The players are too big and immobile these days.

At the least Welsh tried to run with the ball, they looked much more mobile than England did.

Possibly that English arrogance gets tedious.

What arrogance would that be?

Because football is easy on the brain whilst rugby takes a little more brain power to understand

+1

Just got bck from watching USA vs Scotland here in Leeds and what a game.

No overpaid primadonnas in rugby!

Actually I think that part of the problem is the "national" newspapers rabbit on and on about England. This makes people annoyed. Also I do think that England should get their own National Anthem. I think it gets up other peoples noses that they use the British National Anthem. It isn't the English National Anthem!

I can say all this as someone who had two teams win yesterday..

:)

David.

From the perspective of this Scotsman I don't dislike the English rugby team, or the football team either, but the media get right up my nose. England is rather often considered to be synonymous with Britain from the perspective of the national (GB) media and it does get a wee bit frustrating.

I personally find Rugby Union an elitist sport especially in England although Scotland is not much better, the game itself is quite a long drawn out affair with something like only 40% of the game actually in play and then its stuck in a corner the rest of the time the ball is dead.

why do people dislike the English i don't think its unique to Rugby any sport the other home nations would want to beat England could be football or conkers

I remember when Lawrence Dallaglio captained England to victory against Scotland he said in the post match interview words to the effect that they hand't had much competition. One should be magnanimous in victory and gracious in defeat. He, like his compatriots, was just arrogant.

I started supporting England in the Welsh match (I am half English) but due to their behaviour ended up supporting the Welsh who were a much, much better team.

As for Brian Moore, nothing that a cattle prod wouldn't solve.

Edited by Laird Lugton

I remember when Lawrence Dallaglio captained England to victory against Scotland he said in the post match interview words to the effect that they hand't had much competition. One should be magnanimous in victory and gracious in defeat. He, like his compatriots, was just arrogant.

I started supporting England in the Welsh match (I am half English) but due to their behaviour ended up supporting the Welsh who were a much, much better team.

As for Brian Moore, nothing that a cattle prod wouldn't solve.

I remember thinking when he was caught using cocaine on tour in South Africa if he played for Scotland, Wales or Ireland the RFU would be pushing for a life ban