advice sought 1st stalking rifle .243 possible tikka t3 lite

7daysinaweek

hi chaps apologies if this thread has been done to death.

am just about to look at buying my first .243 rifle for stalking. after some online research and friendly advice from a well knowledged pw member i am now considering a tikka t3 lite in synthetic and which moderator, any to avoid?. i have another rifle in synthetic and find it practical. i have a budget of around the £1200 mark for gun alone. am looking to purchase only new and not pre owned whatsoever. can the knowledgable pw fraternity give me some feedback on their personal views of this rifle, calibre and use for stalking. any other information and recomendations would be most helpful.

regards 7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

I have the T3 lite blued synthetic in 6.5x55 and love it. For the money it's a great accurate rifle with a very smooth action. I replaced the bolt handle and shroud for an after market bigger bolt handle and metal shroud.

I had the same rifle and it grouped two factory loads straight out the box and within a few clicks of the centred scope.

I kept the factory trigger but swapped the adjustingscrew for a lighter one.

T3 or Schultz & Larsen B97. Can't go wrong with either. Any specific reason for .243?

hi chaps and savhmr

decided on a .243 as first centrefire for stalking rifle also got fox on it. also may have the possible option of some stalking for roe not to far from me in future. more than likely deciding to go with a tikka t3 lite. i have a very small frame and am a little over 8st wet and looking at rifles of comparable build quality, accuracy, and cost the lite is a more appealing option due to the decreased weight.

many thanks for all the replies. will keep all posted.

atb

hi chaps and savhmr

decided on a .243 as first centrefire for stalking rifle also got fox on it. also may have the possible option of some stalking for roe not to far from me in future. more than likely deciding to go with a tikka t3 lite. i have a very small frame and am a little over 8st wet and looking at rifles of comparable build quality, accuracy, and cost the lite is a more appealing option due to the decreased weight.

many thanks for all the replies. will keep all posted.

atb

I find on my 243 it's the moderator that adds the weight. I bought a Browning A-Bolt and never had an issue with it... Spot on accurate and love the separate metal box mag that can't fall out of the rifle. I'd recommend it to save you a few quid (to spend on the scope) but you won't go wrong with a Tikka either.

I find on my 243 it's the moderator that adds the weight. I bought a Browning A-Bolt and never had an issue with it... Spot on accurate and love the separate metal box mag that can't fall out of the rifle. I'd recommend it to save you a few quid (to spend on the scope) but you won't go wrong with a Tikka either.

hi colster

have just grabbed a quality second hand scope off pw and awaiting arrival, off to gunshop through the week. happy days!

atb 7diaw

If it is accepted by the police for foxes, I think I would go for a .308. I've got a Tikka Varmint in .223 with a Digisight on it and have another on order for a day scope. Also got a Tikka Varmint .308 on order, now that the Steyr SSG has a long-range target scope on it.

If it is accepted by the police for foxes, I think I would go for a .308. I've got a Tikka Varmint in .223 with a Digisight on it and have another on order for a day scope. Also got a Tikka Varmint .308 on order, now that the Steyr SSG has a long-range target scope on it.

I've recently bought a Tikka T3 .308 varmint in the special order 24 inch barrel. My variation application was for deer but I may look for a condition for foxes added so if I'm out with the 308, I can use it for fox too. Getting the .308 for fox alone can prove difficult as the arguments about size of calibre usually rears its ugly head.

Getting the .308 for fox alone can prove difficult as the arguments about size of calibre usually rears its ugly head.

Hence my first sentence, How long did you have to wait for the longer barrel Varmint? I've been told 6 months, but I also want set triggers. Opportunistic fox is usually included with deer nowadays.

hi rj

when i applied for my variation the question was raised around asking for fox for the .243. i explained that i should a fox come into view whilst stalking and a safe shot available that i may be expected to dispatch and also the need not to carry two different rifle calibres as per home office guidance was demonstrated. how do you find the tikka in the .223?

atb 7diaw

I bought the T3 Lite in .223 first and went for the Hunter in .243.

The Lite is very light at the rear and with virtually any mod can feel very front heavy.

It took me 2 years of barrel cuts, moderator changes, scope and mount changes and ultimately 150g of Lead in the rear stock to get it balanced. It was always accurate and now it is brilliantly balanced.

My T3 Hunter is straight out of the box and balanced day one with a mod.

post-20848-0-65783500-1445237536_thumb.jpg

Hence my first sentence, How long did you have to wait for the longer barrel Varmint? I've been told 6 months, but I also want set triggers. Opportunistic fox is usually included with deer nowadays.

There is a 6 month wait but luckily for me I found a trade seller with one in stock (cancelled order presumably) so jumped on it last week. A little unwieldy once an MAE or ASE S/S suppressor is fitted but for the odd occasion where I might want to shoot LR Target, good to 1000 yds, especially given that the 1/11 twist will happily stabilise heavier bullet weights.

T3 is my favourite at the moment.

Well no, that's a lie, my sako 75 is but out the others then its the T3.

Next hunting rifle will be a Shultz from ivythorn sporting. Had a sako, Tikka and shultz in hand on same visit and the Shultz is very very nice. Even just the classic is better build than the other two.

Fox on any rifle is never been problem. Just need and good reason. I had 3 stalking rifles with fox on all at the same time. One reason is its a trip to one of the stalking grounds. I use to lock a 222 in the car when evening atalikng then go back to car and change rifles when it got dark. Not good practice and I was happy so I had fox on all rifles so I only needed to take one and then swing off night vision.

Have a look at the DPT moda even the end can worked very well on the 243. Light and very acceptable I balance.

Had Mae/pez. One of best noise attenuation on the market but youay for it and the weight killed me when out on foot foxing. Went to aimzonic reflex type and it was good but oring replacement started to add up.

Put a DPT end can on the 243 and was happy but added the reflex to it just to cut a little more sound out. It now sits on the 6.5(best stalking calibre) as I moved the 243 on.

The 308 has a northstar on it to help with recoil and it does a grate job but I now going to put a DPT on that too.

All best

Phil

I'm going with ASE SL5 for the 308. Dont like the reflex type as all seem to mark barrels and don't seem to offer any great sound reduction or length reduction. MAE are great too. Most of the lighter mods are alloy or contain alloy, and whilst it's great to benefit from the lighter weight, I suspect shorter service life is the penalty.

Agree with Phil...the Shultz is one of the very best sporting rifles I've handled to date. Much preferred it to a few others I compared it with including a Blaser, mauser and Sako 85. Asked to be informed when they could get a price on a heavy barrel (they have a choice of barrels) but heard nothing back. Tried chasing the importers, but heard nothing back, so ended up buying a T3 instead. The T3 may not be finished as nicely or as nicely designed/made but it has proven accuracy and is well served by the aftermarket suppliers. KRG stock anyone?

Hearing not great reports regarding sound reduction by the DPT mod. I heard a Hausken can on the end if a T3 life 25-06 at the weekend, by far the lightest and quietest mod I have ever seen/heard.

Rodders is coming to range Sunday. I'll put my DPT in which is on the t3 6.5 and he will have his. Neil had an ase on his so we will put them to the vote.