shooting mag

roadkill

which is the best magazine for newbie shooters like my self

topics covered would be hints and tips on filed craft , rough shooting , laws ..

as there is so many out nowadays its hard to choose so what's ur faves

"PULL MAGazine" :good:

The name always makes me laugh.

I always found 'Sporting Shooter' and 'Sporting Gun' to be interesting reads. Not sure how much i've learnt from them but then by the same reasoning how much do you learn about cars from watching Top Gear? :good: If you want teaching material them you might be better looking into books on specific subjects.

I bought 'Breaking Clays' book as you can't rely on a magazine to explain to you what a book like that will cover.

Not sure how much i've learnt from them but then by the same reasoning how much do you learn about cars from watching Top Gear? :wub: If you want teaching material them you might be better looking into books on specific subjects.

:good:

I used to buy sporting gun for an interesting read, but not really sure i learn't much from it. One thing i noticed with this magazine is its nearly identical year on year...Same topics at same time of year gets a bit boring... hence i don't get it anymore..

I get 'the field' now, becuase theres more about the countryside in general, where i can read about other topics and there is more writing than adverts.. :good:

Depends greatly what ur shooting, i.e shotguns, firearms or airguns?

you wont find much airgun info in 'sporting gun' for example as its more shotgun and firearms biased, so you'd be better with one of the main airgun mags like 'airgun world' or 'airgunner'.

Saying that, even if you're not using an air rifle, there is often articles and advice regarding fieldcraft etc in the latter two mags mentioned so you might want to try them anyway.

Also, a dedicated book is always a good source of information as already mentioned in a previous post on this thread.

Hope this helps :good:

I find Sporting gun a good read, as is Shooting sports and sporting rifle, but if you want to find out a lot of information of a specific nature like fieldcraft, cam and concealment,the law and rough shooting, then a book will give you that. Magazines will only give a series of short articles on subjects they want to cover at the time.

Attleborough accessories have a good line in books.

Cheers Andy.

Prefer Sporting Shooter to Sporting Gun...buy them both quite infrequently these days though. Books and web are good, but mags are good for passing the time on the train, barbers shop etc...not that I need to go to the barbers anymore!! :good:

I took the Shooting Times when it was probably the only shooting newspaper/magazine.

Then they changed the format and ruined it, so I cancelled that.

Many years later I bought the Sporting Gun and quickly realised that most of the "Reviews" were Advertiser driven, the articles were just annual regurgitations and their main purpose was to advertise stuff.

I can get shooting catalogues for nothing, I don't need to pay a subscription for one.

Now, I don't bother buying any. :good:

Used to subscribe to Sporting Gun, but got fed up with the constant repetition. I now subscribe to Sporting Shooter - it's good for entertainment value and competitions.

I also subscribe to Wildfowl magazine - an american publication on wildfowling (or waterfowling!) The US mags tend to be more focussed on one type of shooting and less general than ours, but a very, very good.

I did find sporting gun had the better classified section if you're in the market for a gun. However last november i took up the £17 1 year sub offer on sporting shooter as that was the mag i bought most frequently anyway.

When the sub is up i'll probably just buy a mag every so often.

Shooting times, Sporting gun, Sporting shooter and Pull (must get out more....must get out more :good: ). ST, SG and SS are all produced by IPC Media (i think) and a lot of the contributors articles are printed in all three mags so they are a bit samey, but still enjoyable. As has been said before they are all biased towards shotgun shooting with the odd article on air guns or rifles. There are specific magsout there Sporting rifle, airgun world etc. Buy one read it if you enjoy it but it again or subscribe (usually cheaper) but don't expect to learn all you need from a magazine there's no substitute for experience.