new van - self employed - tax

Ollieollie

Evening All,

I am considering a new van for business use, what is the deal with claiming the purchase back?? have done my own returns up until tax year 13/14 when i started using an accountant as things were getting a bit to complicated for me, am using my accountant again this year so this will all be sorted for me come april but can any one explain the situation for me in the mean time? Would be around £20,000 and i'm not vat registered(sole trader).

Cheers All

Ollie

You don't have to earn over any amount to become vat reg but if you earn over the threshold in any 12 month period, not just tax year to tax year then you must register. Would be worth registering if your spending 20k on a van!

I bought a new van last year and am not vat reg'd. The whole cost of the van is put against your tax bill for that year so if you pay 20k for a van it will take that amount of your gross income that would have been taxable for that year.

This is the way i understand it too. I am in the same position [sole trader and not VAT registered]. You buy the van with money from the business bank or a loan on the business, the next end of year account the cost of the van including any VAT will go down as expenses and the value offset against the tax you pay for that year.

Just put the cost of the van on your tax return along with your other expenses (materials, wages, fuel, insurances.......) you then won't pay tax on the cost of the van as you haven't made that amount of profit.

However that is very much simplified and does not consider whether you pay for the van outright or if it's financed, it doesn't take into account whether the van is an asset and it's depreciation, if you are not vat registered then you don't need to consider the vat aspect of the price.

Accounts should save you more than they cost!

Edd

I bought a new van last year and am not vat reg'd. The whole cost of the van is put against your tax bill for that year so if you pay 20k for a van it will take that amount of your gross income that would have been taxable for that year.

I was led to believe it was not that simple. Get professional advice.

Why's everyone talking about having to be VAT registered, is he not just asking about claiming tax relief on a van?

It is fairly simple, assuming you or the business already has a vehicle you'll have to deduct the old vehicles value from cost of the new one, then you can use that amount to offset against your taxable earnings as an expense.

This is the correct answer. The whole cost of the van, including the VAT as you are not VAT registered, can be offset against your business profits for the year. It's not claimed as an expense though, its a 100% capital allowance within in the Annual Investment Allowance.

If you sell the van in the future, whatever you sell it for will be added to your income for that year as a balancing charge, increasing the amount of tax payable.

This is the correct answer. The whole cost of the van, including the VAT as you are not VAT registered, can be offset against your business profits for the year. It's not claimed as an expense though, its a 100% capital allowance within in the Annual Investment Allowance.

If you sell the van in the future, whatever you sell it for will be added to your income for that year as a balancing charge, increasing the amount of tax payable.

That sounds more like it

I don't think you can claim under business expenses but capital gains experiences. I know vans and cars are classed differently but I have a car for work and can only claim back 8% of the cost in a year, plus expenses (Mileage works out better for me). I think you may be able to claim the full amount for a van but I imagine it will be spread over the life of the van and not just as one year's expense. This is why people pay accountants!

Edt: Oops, ColinF got there first with a clearer answer.....

Edited by FalconFN

How are you funding it?

Outright from own funds

Bank loan

Hire purchase from dealer

Lease

Finance lease.

All have different tax allowable criteria.

If you are not Vat registered then you Cannot reclaim the vat now, BUT! if you go vat reg in the next 3 years AND you have the invoice AND the item is still in your possession then you can retrospectively claim the vat (this include all other capital purchases) upon first registration.

Tax office told me when I had my van. That if bought I could claim 40% of its value in depreciation each year against my tax bill. Or if Hp lease etc the monthly payments against tax. Hence the reason a lot of people change vehicles after a few year as they have next to nothing left to offset.

My van was say ten k so could offset four k first year. Second year I could offset 40% of six k so by year three the offsetting amount was small.

Not sure if things have changed in the last few years.

Tax rules change almost every year, and some of the replies on here appear to be out of date.

If you are investing £20k in a van, it would be worth spending a little for a Chartered Accountant's advice to get the best tax (and financing) treatment

Edited by amateur

I was led to believe it was not that simple. Get professional advice.

This.

There is a limit to how much you can claim for capital allowances as one lump like this (£15k, I believe).

If your accountant isn't a tax adviser, get professional advice from a chartered tax adviser (or ensure that your accountant is getting the proper advice).

LS

Evening All,

I am considering a new van for business use, what is the deal with claiming the purchase back?? have done my own returns up until tax year 13/14 when i started using an accountant as things were getting a bit to complicated for me, am using my accountant again this year so this will all be sorted for me come april but can any one explain the situation for me in the mean time? Would be around £20,000 and i'm not vat registered(sole trader).

Cheers All

Ollie

This.

There is a limit to how much you can claim for capital allowances as one lump like this (£15k, I believe).

If your accountant isn't a tax adviser, get professional advice from a chartered tax adviser (or ensure that your accountant is getting the proper advice).

LS

LS

The OP said that he does use an accountant and was just asking the forum a very simple question about the tax rules for van purchase.

His question is not rocket science, but basic tax rules. Vans are treated the same as any other plant and machinery and, as has been said, qualify for AIA which is 100%.

Simple answer to a simple question. If you dont know the answer don't guess it.

LS

The OP said that he does use an accountant and was just asking the forum a very simple question about the tax rules for van purchase.

His question is not rocket science, but basic tax rules. Vans are treated the same as any other plant and machinery and, as has been said, qualify for AIA which is 100%.

Simple answer to a simple question. If you dont know the answer don't guess it.

And if the van is on Finance Lease then?

Ok, I married the accountant. Tax rules change you need to be up to date and know the most effective way for your business to pay. If you can buy a 20k van from business profit outright then I think you should certainly vat register bare in mind its claiming vat back on all your work purchases and if a fair proportion of your clients are also vat registered it makes no matter to them in fact many prefer you to be. As from your vat registered competitors and being cheaper than them consider they are all getting vat back on purchases like vans

Your not properly supported if you have to wait till April or post on PW your likely talking book keeper not accountant and one who is used to your type of business at that, it would terrify me to be that way and I have been self employed for above 25 years