mpg improvement

mattyg1086

I love people who stick in a couple of shorter springs and think that is it. It alters the geometry of your suspension and might be better on MPG or it might be far worse.

It will increase your insurance for starters. If you don't tell them and you are ever involved in a serious accident - they will disown you. That would have repercussions on your SGC.

Seriously ? The mpg gain would be so small you would need a lab to test it. Keep speed down (50 ish) try not to brake then accelerate, try to keep rolling along. Other than that buy a smaller car.

What vehicle and what mpg?

See if you can get VW to do the tests, you'll get loads more MPG that way!

Ok seriously now im not talking about the tyres rubbing on the arches or anything but the bluemotion vars are slightly lowered arent they so i was wondering if it would help a set of springs is like 50 quid and i do alot of motorway driving. My tyres are fully inflated and i regularly service the car what else can i do

You can get the ecu remapped for fuel efficiency.

Lowering won't really make a difference. You'd get more from reducing weight.

Seriously ? The mpg gain would be so small you would need a lab to test it. Keep speed down (50 ish) try not to brake then accelerate, try to keep rolling along. Other than that buy a smaller car.

What vehicle and what mpg?

Surely a Springer would be better?

Other than that: dingle-balls, furry dice, go faster stripes, or, or, or those spacers that push your wheels out another inch or so.

Ahhhhhh I've cracked this

Get ditchman on the job remove and rebuild the engine and convert to a smaller diesel

Bound to save fuel

Yep, a twin cylinder Lister :good: You won't go very fast .......................... or ever hear the radio again, but it will be economical, especially on red :lol:

In the 1970s, I fitted a vacuum gauge to a Morris 1800 - best fuel saver ever. It taught me to drive more economically - easing back on the pedal whilst maintaining the same speed.

As someone else has said - teach your right foot not to be too heavy, plan your route for economy, don't make unnecessary journeys - or put your foot down and to hell with economy.

No you won't save any fuel by lowering it. It's not going to change the drag co efficient enough. Turning off heated rear window demist air con and other non essential electrical gubbins making sure windows are up will improve mpg by cutting the load on the alternator. If your that bothered by the mpg buy a newer smaller bodied and smaller engined car.

No you won't save any fuel by lowering it. It's not going to change the drag co efficient enough. Turning off heated rear window demist air con and other non essential electrical gubbins making sure windows are up will improve mpg by cutting the load on the alternator. If your that bothered by the mpg buy a newer smaller bodied and smaller engined car.

Definitely keep the windows up, cars are designed with the windows up for best aerodynamics

Ive got a vectra 1.9 cdti 150 auto. I am not a boy racer and never have been im young ish but ive got a family so not particularly interested in racing about. My average over the last 50k is 46 mpg lowering was just a thought as the bluemotion cars are lower im thinking about having it remapped but im undecided whether or not id make the money back. If i can get it up to say 50-55 mpg average i may be able to buy another car a small 4x4 or a new sg the cheaper i can get to work the better as it means more money in my pocket obviously i cant get a diesel citroen c1 and get 80 mpg as i need the space of a vectra sized car to take the kids and dog out in also a c1 on the motorway im not sure would be the safest thing

Edited by mattyg1086

Keep speed down (50 ish) try not to brake then accelerate, try to keep rolling along. Other than that buy a smaller car.

Perhaps I'm imaging it but, on a long run, I think I get more mpg from my 1.4 Polo after it starts warm, say after calling at a service stop for a few minutes. The electronics have had time to discharge, but the engine is still warm.

and a "Turbo" or "GTI" badge

Though this does work to a degree, you really need to look at the latest technology to maximise the results.

If you add a "Hybrid" badge to the rear of the car, it will not only improve the efficiency, but you also pay less road tax!

• 2 weeks later...

Chip it.

Zero experiernce with them but some say they work ??? , . BUT ME being the etternal sceptic and all that. :exclamation:

Weight loose it just add lightness anything you dont need take it off, and glass is super heavy swap it for perspex , heaters seats boots clothes its endless, and dont forget the drill :lol: drill everything holes weigh nothing :) tool station hole cutters are your friend. :lol:

Edited by TONY R