Police car runs down and kills foxhound as a last resort

keg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard on the radio the alternatives were to close down a large stretch of road and cause diversions to enable police on the road safely,or to shoot the dog and make a larger area safe. I do wonder how long until the dog wandered of the road anyway.They must of dealt with this before and I personally would have difficulty putting the foot down going for it.

Now I don't have a problem with the option of killing the dog, BUT running it over with their car is not a humane way to do it.

I have ran into a dog in the past during my days driving and it's a sticking feeling when you hear the thump. I didn't kill it, it got up and ran off. That was at 20mph+ and cost me half a days pay day filling out a statement when I reported it.

How can they decide what speed would be sufficient to cause the destruction of the dog?

Edited by shoot and be safe

I think it was a scandalous approach to take.

A section of the M5 was shut yesterday for a dog running into the face of traffic, it was successfully caught. The same road in Wales was shut recently for a swan and cygnets that were wandering in the road.

To avoid another motorist being involved in an accident then stop the traffic from moving.

It was a shameful thing to do.

I think it was a scandalous approach to take.

A section of the M5 was shut yesterday for a dog running into the face of traffic, it was successfully caught. The same road in Wales was shut recently for a swan and cygnets that were wandering in the road.

To avoid another motorist being involved in an accident then stop the traffic from moving.

It was a shameful thing to do.

My thoughts exactly.

Particularly bearing in mind that at the time of the incedent the roads would have been quiet causing very little disruption to traffic.

I picked up a loose foxhound on the road one evening a couple of months ago, brought it home and kept it in one of our stables untill it was collected. Can you imagine the reaction I would have had from the police and RSPCA had I phoned the police and told them that rather than picking it up I had intentionally run it over on the off chance it caused an accident.

I normally support the Police, but cannot in this instance.

I have seen TV programmes where the Police proudly proclaim that they closed Motorways because of swans, cattle, horses etc. An officer got close enough to be bitten but did not tazer the foxhound. The same Force had previously employed this method.

I am not aware that Police driving courses include a section on how hard to hit a dog, with sufficient force to kill it, whilst minimising any suffering. Did the dog die instantly or suffer? Who knows.

A bad day for the dog and the Police.

I normally support the Police, but cannot in this instance.I have seen TV programmes where the Police proudly proclaim that they closed Motorways because of swans, cattle, horses etc. An officer got close enough to be bitten but did not tazer the foxhound. The same Force had previously employed this method.I am not aware that Police driving courses include a section on how hard to hit a dog, with sufficient force to kill it, whilst minimising any suffering. Did the dog die instantly or suffer? Who knows.A bad day for the dog and the Police.

The thing is that police office that got close enough to be bitten was not I repeat not tazer authorised as only trained officers my carry and use them.

This road is not busy at 3am

I think it's just s lazy approach to the problem

And for the life of me I can't understand how they can confidently claim to have sped up to ensure the dog was killed instantly with no suffering ... Ensure?

Ironically if it'd been rush hour then I don't believe they would have had any option but to close the road!

There would be more witness to the barbaric approach the police took, so "image damage limitation" would be a big part or the decision at rush hour. Not many people about at 3am, so if it went wrong, then a cover up would be easier.

I don't belive any dog owner would deliberately run a dog over and if they would, they don't belong in the police force.

The thing is that police office that got close enough to be bitten was not I repeat not tazer authorised as only trained officers my carry and use them.

The Police are making a big thing out of the fact that the Officer got bitten - why did he approach the dog if he didn't have the authorised equipment to carry out the job properly?

Just how long would it have taken to get a tazer authorised officer there? Why was he not equipped - it's not as though this was the first time it had happened?

PS - no need to repeat yourself.

Edited by Gordon R

I agree with you Gordon and as my son is a police officer in the North wales police, I can only tell you its down to government budget cuts to the police forces, they would love to train and arm every officer with tazer.

Edited by E.w.

The Police are making a big thing out of the fact that the Officer got bitten - why did he approach the dog if he didn't have the authorised equipment to carry out the job properly?

Just how long would it have taken to get a tazer authorised officer there? Why was he not equipped - it's not as though this was the first time it had happened?

PS - no need to repeat yourself.

Indeed. Did he try and rugby tackle the dog, did he try to scruff it, did he grab a limb or a handful of skin, etc. If the efforts to capture the dog resulted in pain then the dog will bite, it is already in a state of heightened anxiety. Even if the dog was normally perfectly tractable a ham fisted approach by the officer involved is going to result in problems.

It was a shameful approach by those involved and if authority was given at a higher level to allow the resulting action to take place that would be utterly disgraceful.

I agree with you Gordon and as my son is a police office in the North wales police, I can only tell you its down to government budget cuts to the police forces, they would love to train and arm every office with tazer.

Government cuts resulted in the 'need' to hit a dog with a car because there is not enough money for tazers?

I don't really think this is what you are saying, but how did we capture loose dogs before tazers were on the go?

Indeed. Did he try and rugby tackle the dog, did he try to scruff it, did he grab a limb or a handful of skin, etc. If the efforts to capture the dog resulted in pain then the dog will bite, it is already in a state of heightened anxiety. Even if the dog was normally perfectly tractable a ham fisted approach by the officer involved is going to result in problems.

It was a shameful approach by those involved and if authority was given at a higher level to allow the resulting action to take place that would be utterly disgraceful.

Government cuts resulted in the 'need' to hit a dog with a car because there is not enough money for tazers?

I don't really think this is what you are saying, but how did we capture loose dogs before tazers were on the go?

I made no mention of the rubbish you are spouting I only mention fact i work and live in this very area, but you carry on making it up as you go along.

I think the police let themselves down sometimes, they use a almost computerised desion reaching process which wile effective which removes the human like thought process, they then wonder why so many of the public feel the police are power mad lunatics. I'd like to add that I personally feel the vast majority of police officers are good people who do a fantastic job dealing with demanding situations which are almost impossible to sort out, a case of dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, however like I said think they got it totally wrong in this situation.

I think the police let themselves down sometimes, they use a almost computerised desion reaching process which wile effective which removes the human like thought process, they then wonder why so many of the public feel the police are power mad lunatics. I'd like to add that I personally feel the vast majority of police officers are good people who do a fantastic job dealing with demanding situations which are almost impossible to sort out, a case of dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, however like I said think they got it totally wrong in this situation.

That's a very good post couldn't agree more.