Exercise bike

steve_b_wales

I'm looking at buying an exercise bike. Nothing special, just something to help me lose a few pounds and burn off some calories. Ideally, it should be a folding one so I can store it in a wardrobe etc. I'm not looking at spending a fortune.

Any ideas as to what would be good value for money?

I'm looking at buying an exercise bike. Nothing special, just something to help me lose a few pounds and burn off some calories. Ideally, it should be a folding one so I can store it in a wardrobe etc. I'm not looking at spending a fortune.

Post office window mate,probably get yourself a foot spa too.

you should just jog 15 miles every day like i do steve , it certainly helps me to maintain my magnificent physique :lol:

Take a look on Gumtree Steve plenty on sale in there now that the New Years resolutions are well forgotten.

I have one, and we use it regularly -- but if you think that an indoor bike is going to help you lose weight, stop right here. It just won't. Not a flipping chance.

Basically, it will help muscle tone, and breathing, and whats like, but to actually lose weight by exercising, you need to spend half the day on it. Seriously, to lose 1000 calories on an indoor bike, you need to stay about 2h on it, and that is if you actually move your ***. I know, I did it, I measured it, and came to that conclusion.

If you want to lose 1000 calories and not waste time, man up and skip lunch. Seriously, controlling your /input/ is a LOT easier than trying to lose it; the human body is FAR better at storing energy than spending it, that's why we survived that long!

I've seen it Mel, and I'm jogging as I type! :)

please try not to get too envious steve , its taken many years of discipline and hard work to sculpt myself into the shape that people see today , i spend at least two hours a day putting the rowing machine(fridge) through its paces :yes::):lol: .

Agree with the above, plus by god it's boring!!

A good idea is something that keeps you involved, possibly going to a spin class is good, or an actual bike that you can ride in summer and put on a turbo trainer doubles as both ?

Or buy a weighted vest and get walking up them valleys.

As also said its mostly vital to just control food intake! Which sucks cos I love to eat but if I'm proper strict on the diet the weight drops off, it's keeping it off that's hard cos you gotta stay away from the nice foods!

exercise bikes are boring, ive been doing a lot of walking which although low impact does help a lot, I notice weeks were due to weather I don't get out I don't loose so when the weather turned to poo Christmas time I bought a bike, I don't use it as much as I should as its so bloody boring but I put my headphones in and audio book goes on and get on with it... steve, if you do get one have the tension turned up as the biggest mistake with bikes is people don't work hard enough on them

I have one, and we use it regularly -- but if you think that an indoor bike is going to help you lose weight, stop right here. It just won't. Not a flipping chance.

Basically, it will help muscle tone, and breathing, and whats like, but to actually lose weight by exercising, you need to spend half the day on it. Seriously, to lose 1000 calories on an indoor bike, you need to stay about 2h on it, and that is if you actually move your ***. I know, I did it, I measured it, and came to that conclusion.

If you want to lose 1000 calories and not waste time, man up and skip lunch. Seriously, controlling your /input/ is a LOT easier than trying to lose it; the human body is FAR better at storing energy than spending it, that's why we survived that long!

This

I do a measly 10k almost each night on an 'exercise bike' , takes only a few mins, helps joints and breathing.

Omitting sugar of any kind is by far the easiest way to loose weight, include into that any type of sweetener

Eating anything surgary before/during/after a meal sets the body to 'store', some supposed calorie free sweeteners do the same.

controlling calorie input is the only real sensible way to loose weight, but skipping meals as suggested is not the answer... if your skipping meals it effects your metabolism, you need to eat regular sensible meals to keep your system working and burning calories

Bought mine from .... The Range ... £79 use it a lot but .... you must also go on a sensible diet. I myself am reading a very good book by Dr Michael Mosley .... the 8-WEEK blood sugar diet, really good.... £8.99 from W H Smiths or cheaper on amazon.

A lot of myths and "bro science" being thrown about.

The only thing that truly matters when losing or gaining weight is overall calorie consumption throughout the day!

Whether you eat your calories in 1-2-3-4-5 meals doesn't matter! If you eat 10,000 calories in 1 meal or 10 you'll gain weight and if you eat less than you need for the whole day in 1 or 10 meals you'll lose weight, end of!

That's why people have success with intermittent fasting etc etc, there's loads of different diets, keto (Atkins), Paleo, intermittent fasting, juicing

The main part of every single one is by following them you are more compliment with eating less calories overall and you lose weight, simple as! Reduce calories, be compliant!

A lot of myths and "bro science" being thrown about.

The only thing that truly matters when losing or gaining weight is overall calorie consumption throughout the day!

Whether you eat your calories in 1-2-3-4-5 meals doesn't matter! If you eat 10,000 calories in 1 meal or 10 you'll gain weight and if you eat less than you need for the whole day in 1 or 10 meals you'll lose weight, end of!

That's why people have success with intermittent fasting etc etc, there's loads of different diets, keto (Atkins), Paleo, intermittent fasting, juicing

The main part of every single one is by following them you are more compliment with eating less calories overall and you lose weight, simple as! Reduce calories, be compliant!

Sorry but that's incorrect out of date thinking.