Old Compressor Value?

belly47

We have this old compressor where I work at the moment, and it's been used up until a few weeks ago and works fine, but something to do with insurance means he needs to get a new one apparently.

It has the date of 1967 on it.

I just wanted to see if anyone thinks it has any value before the guvnor leaves it for the scrap.

Cheers

20160208_102959_zpspxzz7xpk.jpg

that has got to be worth £200.00.................proberly what needs doing to it

• pressure test certificate
  • modern pressure valve cut out
  • rust inspection inside the vessel

with what that would cost i can see why you boss thinks a new one would be better value........

Edited by ditchman

I have one about the same age myself, Mine is an industrial Sherry, as has been said it probably hasnt passed a test. I dont use mine that much, i do give the tank bottom a clout with a hammer now and again, and as long as i get a good ringing sound i shall continue to use it, on saying that i would think the tank wall thickness is double what some are today.

That is an old duplex twin cylinder bristol now hamworthy compressor , I used to do inspections and certification for insurance purposes on pressure vessels , Inspection hatches out probe to determine corrosion level and whether mild surface rust or delaminating flaking corrosion ,Ultrasonic wall thickness test to determine pitting and/or metal thickness loss etc ,etc .

If it still works you could still use the pump and motor unit and buy a new storage tank ,paper thin compared to to the older ones but it will be stamped up with the modern standards Bs/EN requirements for about £300 for a 270/300lt tank.

Loads like that sold on ebay for private use, about £200 ish. You could of course connect the compressor itself to a large propane cylinder in good condition, but that would mean depriving the rightful owner of the cylinder of his / their possessions, which would be wrong :rolleyes:

Antiquated but if safe to use it has value. As stated previously, new tanks are easily obtained - and that one is prolly only 100 litre approx? Many modern compressors are scrapped due to rubbishy cheap compressors which fail easily, so second hand tanks are available - obviously not an option for a business insurance, but OK for (safe) private use. Placement in a safe area is a sensible precaution for any high pressure pneumatic vessel.

My compressor is likely of similar age. I test mine by filling brim full with water and then jacking up the pressure with a grease gun. It can also be run at a lower pressure than design.

The old cast iron compressors were built to last. Much better durability than some of the high revving rubbish on the market, but they are probably less efficient in their operation (£p per unit of compressed air).

Maybe the first question to ask is : Single or three phase motor?

I think health and safety only have authority in workplaces (May be wrong tho') If someone bought it for home use then I think it would be fine.

I'd say that this compressor is probably better made and would last ten times longer than than the cheap tat that's sold at the likes of Aldi/Lidl etc these days :yes::whistling:

John :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have this old compressor where I work at the moment, and it's been used up until a few weeks ago and works fine, but something to do with insurance means he needs to get a new one apparently.

It has the date of 1967 on it.

I just wanted to see if anyone thinks it has any value before the guvnor leaves it for the scrap.

Cheers//<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=this,h=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=g;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var l=function(b){var d=b.length;if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var m=function(b){var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d.length;++c)a=a.concat(l(document.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)q(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a.length;++c){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[c]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=332332&p=3020292&md5check=62d3855b41cb20aca154fcd4dc6a9e54&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,UNTllay04XU');

//]]>20160208_102959_zpspxzz7xpk.jpg

If it was being outed for scrap, I'd have it If I was in your position. If it has been drained fairly regularly The tank should be OK and a 2 horse single phase motor is well sought after. On the tank will be an inspection bung.this needs to be taken out and a light put inside the tank to have a look at the bottom for heavy shale rusting caused by condensation rusting. Although it is of an age It is a good solid unit. I've seen old compressors of that and they do look a bit knocked about but the tanks were built back then and they've got loads of year's of service left in them. Most compressors blow off at 150psi but it could be reduced down to 80-90psi And still have enough pressure to run air tools to a degree. For home use it would be more than adequate. It's quite a compact unit with the motor and compressor mounted on the top. If it goes to the scrappers someone will no doubt put it to one side and It will end up on eBay. It's too good to scrap even for the motor. if it wasn't for the insurance company question, would scrapping this Be even thought about? Look at the thickness of the tank tube where it is welded at the top and the bottom dome is a solid formed part with the weld seem a way up from any water in the bottom especially as you say that it has been drained regularly. Edited by fortune

There's a real old dog of a compressor for spares on the bay for £200 and there's 12 watching it! Tell the boss that you want it for use at home and Offer a tenner for the tea fund rather than it go for scrap. It could be very useful for the home garage /workshop.