All Purpose Semi-Auto

Mallyshag

I'm sure this has been done to death previously, so my apologies for starting yet another...

Having not opened my gun cabinet for at least 4 years after falling out of love with shooting, I have got the itch again...

When I paced up, I stupidly sold both my John McNab O/U's in 20 Bore - I went down to 20B as I found them quicker than my SxS Grosable Sidelock which I still have (along with a couple of other SxS's which are pretty much scrap)

I am looking for 20B O/U again, but I'm fairly sure I know what I want with this, so not a problem.

I am looking for a Semi Auto or maybe even a Pump (maybe both!) for general use - it must cover as many aspects as possible: Clays / Pigeon / Wildfowl / Duck Flighting - And the missus wants to try clays as well, so we could end up with needing a bigger cabinet.

Discuss.... :rolleyes:

Baikal MP153. Cheap as chips and rock solid bomb proof. Handles light clay loads and monster 3.5 inch steel wildfowling loads.

But it is only a good buy if you can shoot with it!

My advice would be to find an RFD with a shooting range and try a few makes and models before you buy. Don't feel guilty about trying and not buying as they are making money from the clays and cartridges you use.

Sorry, should have said:

About £700 - £800

I was looking at Hatsans but have read various reports that seem to suggest they maybe a bad idea. Ditto Mossberg - they do seem reasonable for the money

I have a Hatsan semi and I think it`s a decent gun for the price. It hasn`t given me any problems in the time I`ve owned it. I know some of the earlier models were less than perfect but the newer models are much better. I mostly use mine for pigeon shooting. At around £300 new if it gets dropped in mud or takes a bit of a knock it`s not going to bother me a great deal.

if you need parts for a baikal you are unlucky as they hardy go wrong but they are a bit of a challange to get parts for them but no impossible

I've had to order spares twice in 20-odd years - both times the stuff turned up within a week.

First was a snapped ejector spring in my o/u, second was a replacement magazine tube and gas seals when I bought my MP153 - it didn't appear to have been cleaned ever, and the tube was pitted under the gas ports. Changing the seals at the same time was merely a precaution - the gun still worked perfectly in that state, but it offended me too much to ignore it!

They will take an awful lot of abuse and still work - they are designed as working tools, not display pieces. Hard to beat as general purpose guns, especially given the prices.

He has plenty of posts on the forum he has built punts with youngsters on the island. His name is Nigel and the man is a true gent.

Check out the north v south shoot for last couple of years he wears a full tweed suit and has slightly wayward hair,you might know him as your isle ain't big.

Edited by figgy

I have a Hatsan semi and I think it`s a decent gun for the price. It hasn`t given me any problems in the time I`ve owned it. I know some of the earlier models were less than perfect but the newer models are much better. I mostly use mine for pigeon shooting. At around £300 new if it gets dropped in mud or takes a bit of a knock it`s not going to bother me a great deal.

Maybe some should bash themselves rather than the brand kept clean and with the right length cartridges mine has never jammed

Not saying this is always the case but probably more than people will admit