A semi auto safety question..........

timclarke

Always use a pump for clays, usually BPSor Ithaca 37. Both of these are bottom eject and I made safe flags for both. Have encountered some hostility but mostly genuine interest. I always ask officials before I shoot for club directives if any. Most decent places quote " Safety, safety,safety" I can live with that. Recommend Hawley if you're around Kent area

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have witnessed somebody at Crabtree who couldn't hit the pair of clays, so decided to load 3 then hit the pair of clays and was about to walk out as he's forgot he still had one cartridge ready to go!!

Some very unsafe things have been witnessed there over the years, and with us always taking our young son (from about 2 months old, now 2 years) its not an enjoyable shoot always worrying what others are doing.

Still we will give it another go soon and see if the safety aspect has improved.

It ain't unsafe "things" bud it's unsafe people!

Guns are demonised in the media and by those with an agenda........but guns don't kill people....people kill people! Don't lets shoot ourselves in the foot by using their language

Guns ain't unsafe.....people are!

I have used my new semi-auto this year for the first time. It's a camo Armsan a612. I go to a couple of clay clubs. I slip the gun between stands, use a breech flag and remove it from the slip away from others being aware of muzzle direction. I always have it pointing straight up at the slope arms position (not 45 degrees obviously for any military types!). I have had a few comments about the gun, however, they have all been positive, and the person making the comment usually ends up having having a few clays with it! I still can't hit a barn door with it mind! That's me, not the gun.....work in progress. I would say carry on as you are, enjoy your sport. It would be boring if we all went along with the crowd. Knowledge dispels fear!

We have witnessed somebody at Crabtree who couldn't hit the pair of clays, so decided to load 3 then hit the pair of clays and was about to walk out as he's forgot he still had one cartridge ready to go!!

Some very unsafe things have been witnessed there over the years, and with us always taking our young son (from about 2 months old, now 2 years) its not an enjoyable shoot always worrying what others are doing.

Still we will give it another go soon and see if the safety aspect has improved.

That's fair enough and we take as we find, but that isn't a gun action design fault. Your son is actually statistically at a higher risk of serious injury on the journey to and from the shoot ( any shoot ) but even car traffic accidents are rarely a design fault. If we start banning mechanisms rather than the people who operate them, then none of us would have guns.

Like I've said, I have only ever witnessed one other person ( apart from BASC coaches) who can remove an ou from its slip without waving the muzzles about, and he's my nephew.

Well if we are at crabbies again soon you'll spot us all as we will be the safe shooters who know how to take a ou from its slip.... And the ones that load up in the cage , not walking in with loaded guns!.

Must admit that is annoying. I don't even like it when someone is already in the cage but closes his ou inside the cage and then has to negotiate the horizontal bar in front.

Edited by Scully

Went to a clay ground with my son recently, stood waiting for a stand where to young guys were sharing a pump action. Every time they loaded it it was pointing at us! Son asked them if they would not point the gun at us, they replied "**** off" so we did. Issue is that pump actions, semi autos are not safe, and in my opinion should be banned from clay grounds all together. I know this statement will upset many but why should anyone need to use one anywhere but in a pigeon hide?

Went to a clay ground with my son recently, stood waiting for a stand where to young guys were sharing a pump action. Every time they loaded it it was pointing at us! Son asked them if they would not point the gun at us, they replied "**** off" so we did. Issue is that pump actions, semi autos are not safe, and in my opinion should be banned from clay grounds all together. I know this statement will upset many but why should anyone need to use one anywhere but in a pigeon hide?

What a load of pants. It's the operator not the gun that's unsafe. I shoot my o/u and my s/a at game as well as clays and gun safety applies equally regardless of the mechanism.

For the record i have found the most dangerous and unsafe at clay grounds to be game shooters blowing the dust off pre season with their beloved sxs.

For the record i have found the most dangerous and unsafe at clay grounds to be game shooters blowing the dust off pre season with their beloved sxs.

You sure you not mistaking someone who does neither but got a sxs as a game shot just because they go out a day or two ?

I found the opposite is true, game shots can look a bit amateur on clays because they hardly ever shoot at them, but I never seen one and thought he looked unsafe, is those who do clays and only clays who you look at and some of those they seem to not know the basics of safely handling a gun, I seen about half a dozen clay shots plough a shot into the ground a few feet from the guy next to him when closing his gun or into the air when setting himself on a stand, I can never remember a game shot doing that, often the ones using Auto's are the most careful I found.

Now those who do neither clays or live are the ones to keep away from.

.....and inflammatory comment of the week award goes to....[drum roll]......Triumphant59! [clapping]

Quite suprised at the number who carry their gun round on a sling. I always put mine back in the slip after a stand (plus the chamber flag) as I am aware of how people perceive sa users. I would much rather carry on a sling so much more convenient.

As far as safety a flag in a gun on a gun rack means safe. Ou users put their guns in the stand (generally) closed and pointing up towards head height so how is it sa users are looked down on?

Having seen a hole in the side of a Land rover where a Semi had been left in the back with a shell in the magazine and the bolt back....went over a bump, loaded the shell and it went off.

All shooters connected with that now place a fired cartridge sideways in the breech and release the bolt to close on it....the spring pressure on the case keeps it in place and everyone knows it can't be anything other than safe.

Cheers

Fizz

An old pal of mine was travelling in a trailer pulled by a tractor, he was forking neeps over side, he had a Franchi auto leaning at side, gun went over side after a bump. buried it.s muzzle & went off, reciever went forward, fired case went to East Jake & barell had an end like a Chinese lantern!

Again, none of the aforementioned incidents can be blamed on the mechanism.

Years ago I read in an American gun magazine of an incident where a store detective had gone to the loo and for whatever reason had hooked his .45 semi automatic over the cubicle coat hanger loop via the trigger guard. On finishing off he went to grip the gun to take it back off the hook and it went off, firing a round into the ceiling. He apparently fired three rounds before he realised what was going on.

On gripping the gun the grip safety was depressed, the trigger came into contact with the coat hanger, pressing the trigger and discharging the gun. Recoil caused the gun to repeat the process until the owner realised what he had done and let go of the grip.

The gun wasn't cocked and locked and whether this tale is true or not, the gun would have been operating exactly as it was designed to do when both the grip safety and trigger were depressed together.

I know of a bloke who put two .270 rounds through the wing of his own Range Rover and another who fired a shotgun in the cab of his own Subaru pick up; none were the fault of the mechanism.

What a load of rubbish. "Not safe" ? Who are you to say?

Gun handling, no matter what type should be taught before anyone learns how to load a gun, as has been said no dangerous guns, only dangerous people,the only direction a muzzle should be pointed when loading is at the ground,& if a conventional gun the butt is brought up to the barrels,(wood to metal) then a discharge will only disturb the ground,the other way, raising barrels,(metal to wood) will result in a discharge going at hip level,same with any type of weapon point at ground =safe, hold gun across body as you fumble to shell up is a licence for a disaster

Issue is that pump actions, semi autos are not safe, and in my opinion should be banned from clay grounds all together. I know this statement will upset many but why should anyone need to use one anywhere but in a pigeon hide?

Ridiculous statement. They are no less safe than a SxS or O/U if handled correctly. If you had concerns about safehandling you should have reported them to the groundstaff.

Let`s be thankful that your opinion won`t be taken up by clay grounds.

"Why should anyone need to use one anywhere but in a pigeon hide?"

Well . . .

Some people like them

Some people may only have one gun that they use for both clays and pigeon shooting. Or they may just want to practice with their hide gun.

Some people may have medical conditions that mean it`s better for their health to use a semi.

An astonishing attitude you have towards your fellow shooters.