.22 rim range

kody

600yds with subs ..........................and a 6-8ft drop. Methinks you're 'aving a laugh. It's more than that at 250yds

The drop at 600yds is closer to 75ft :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It may well be on the charts but all I can say is that I placed the very bottom of the cross hair in the tube about a foot (optically ) above the target frame and the bullets were hitting in the bull. this is not something that I had ever done before and it has no practical use at all but it did happen like that. It was just to see if the bullet out of a 22 lr could hit a target a 600 yard range and they did. Go set up a BIG target and try experimenting. It's fun

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drop is not the greatest factor in accurate long range shooting

Commonly your looking at over 30 ft drop at 1000 yards with a centrefire but placing moa groups is possible better is needed to win at times

I liked the video and think it answers a lot like the guys finding seem to get the bullet hit way quicker than the note of that gong ping traveling back agsin indicated

600yds with subs ..........................and a 6-8ft drop. Methinks you're 'aving a laugh. It's more than that at 250yds

The drop at 600yds is closer to 75ft :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It may well be on the charts but all I can say is that I placed the very bottom of the cross hair in the tube about a foot (optically ) above the target frame and the bullets were hitting in the bull. this is not something that I had ever done before and it has no practical use at all but it did happen like that. It was just to see if the bullet out of a 22 lr could hit a target a 600 yard range and they did. Go set up a BIG target and try experimenting. It's fun

Used to shoot at Tiddesley Wood Military ranges when the club had access to it many years ago, and we shot 7.62 at 300, 400 and 600 yards and I think there was a difference of 17MOA between 400 and 600yds so that alone is @ 4ft. (Don't quote me on that; it's been a long time since I shot fullbore over that distance) The trajectory of a .22rf subsonic bullet travelling at a MV @ 1050fps is more than rainbow-like......... it's unbelievable.

I have no doubt you can shoot .22subs over the distance, but I doubt you could hold a three foot grouping with them. The so-called world record was using a 1913 supermatch and Tenex ammo.

G

Edited by Graham M

Many have different ground were it's perfectly safe

I have no doubt that it is but the safety aspect wasn't what I was concerned with; it was the suggestion that a subsonic bullet travelling at 1050-1080fps only dropped ' 8ft over 600yds.

Any road up, it's academic now as I think the subject has run its course.

I did however see another video on youtube in which someone was shooting .22rf at 800yds......

.......any takers on that :lol:

G

Much like they are doing on that ploughed field using the dust to show hits. Years ago we used to shoot out onto a lake with various calibre pistols in the early morning when the water was like a mirror and that was very educational regarding elevation and drop.(and the time lapse)

.22s have a very curved trajectory but 9mm and 38s just don't make it past a few hundred yards no matter what you do.

Edited by Vince Green

I have no doubt that it is but the safety aspect wasn't what I was concerned with; it was the suggestion that a subsonic bullet travelling at 1050-1080fps only dropped ' 8ft over 600yds.

Any road up, it's academic now as I think the subject has run its course.

I did however see another video on youtube in which someone was shooting .22rf at 800yds......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeqcLgpp_vI&feature=youtu.be

.......any takers on that :lol:

G

Listen to this if you compare the other video at 600 yards it seem to take longer for the bullet to reach the 600 yard, than this 800 yards video.

Listen to this if you compare the other video at 600 yards it seem to take longer for the bullet to reach the 600 yard, than this 800 yards video.

That's because the camera is placed on the ground near the targets rather than the camera placed back with the shooter and a zoom lens used.

(Looks to be about a 30 ft group at 800yds :))

We just need a 704yd Hare now... :rolleyes:

ooooh don't get me started. I well remember someone on this very site claiming 600yd Hares with a 22-250. Jeeze even with 1MOA that still equates to a 6 inch grouping.........and that's without the wind; or the ammo; or that bit of a tremble.hunter.gif.pagespeed.ce.GRvNRKGFmJ.gif

G

Edited by Graham M

600 yards is 823.5" in my 16" cz, that's over 68 feet. Can I take that shot. Nope! Can't dial that far and I would need more than 40moa Rail on my current scope.

I do shoot 200 meters, off sticks at a 6" target and can hit 100% of the time. All proven a number of times.

I have and do head shot rabbits of sticks at 100 meters, alot of it is practice on the range with high numbers of ammo.

One thing has changed now and I can't hit a barn door with the **** that Winchester are now churning out. New graphics on the box and its pants. The old light blue box with red x on it I was very comfortable with. Not this new poo. Back to eley now I think.

I still have 500 Winchester that I bought a couple of years ago and they are brilliant through my Finnfire, but as it's sighted in at 60yds I tend to shoot within range. If the bunny is kind enough to stand up at 100yds then I aim at the top of its ears and normally hit somewhere @ the head/neck area but wouldn't guarantee it. Understand shooting off sticks as that's all I do now as I'm not going to lie down in the mud at my age any more.

100% hit rate on a 6" square at 200yds; yes easy if you have sighted the rifle in at that range, but bloody difficult if you are set up at 60yds hunter.gif.pagespeed.ce.GRvNRKGFmJ.gif

Used to have an old BSA Martini action that was set up for rabbits at 100yds and shot off a bipod with match ammo'(used to get it free when I was a member of Kynoch) and it was so easy it was unbelievable. But it was pretty much useless at 50-60yds as you then had to guesstimate hold-under as I didn't have a mil dot scope in those days (don't know if they existed back then) as bullet trajectory with ammo' at 1050fps was @ 4.1 inches high.

As for 600yds ....all I can find is a chart going up to 500yds using Hyper velocity stuff and the drop on that is @ 30ft at 500yds. So we are looking at another 30-40ft drop over then next 100yds as the bullet will be falling like a stone.

post-3209-0-85585800-1463137205_thumb.png

ooooh don't get me started. I well remember someone on this very site claiming 600yd Hares with a 22-250. Jeeze even with 1MOA that still equates to a 6 inch grouping.........and that's without the wind; or the ammo; or that bit of a tremble.hunter.gif.pagespeed.ce.GRvNRKGFmJ.gif

G

Not that I think it's just to shoot a creature like a hare at 600 yards ( crows yeah) the above is very possible almost a sure thing for a good shot with good kit on the right day for a body hit

Anyone who thinks that's just BS should actually attend a decent f- class shoot or one of our better club grounds

It's got some factors but moa performance and less is regularly achieved at 1000 yards. Calling the correct dope at that range is very hard though groups are generally good. 600 is way easier to dope

I used to shoot match rifle and I shot at 300,500 and 600yds with a 7.62 Swing match rifle.

I then used to play with my .308 off a bipod, and at 600yds you were still talking about a 6 inch group even with the rifle shooting 1MOA. I know the rifle was shooting well into the 1MOA but even on a still day was never able to guarantee a 6 inch group at that distance........600yds is a bloody long way and the slightest breeze will act upon the bullet to either take it up and left or down and right.

I know that they have an "Egg shoot" at Diggles ranges where they try to hit an egg at 600yds with only one shot, and now and then someone does manage it. But they are using top notch kit that have barrels capable of perhaps 1/4 MOA. How many vermin shooters have barrels of that quality or the ability to shoot them.

600yds easy to call.....................I have seen the wind flags blowing one way at one part of the range whilst others have been blowing the other way. On sunny days you can sometimes see the mirage running at the butts but the flags are going in the opposite direction at the firing point.

600yds easy........... :lol:

G