Airline delay compensation

rec-baller

Has anybody claimed for a flight delay ?, and have you won ?.

We had a 16 hr delay returning from Cancun in Mexico in March, there were 3 adults in the party.

We had flown out with Thompson airlines ,

Just wondering how other people had gone on, if you have put a claim in who did you use ?

Shaun

hi, shaun depends on the nature of the delay if it was technical problem with the plane happy days daughter had 9 hour delay from Cyprus last year but it was due to pilot being taken ill on the outbound flight so had to wait for replacement pilot so no compensation.there is some great info on the moneysaving expert web site template letters etc sure there are different rules for outside e.u. flights to long haul but all info you need is on this site.good luck

I have. Claim direct with the airline not an intermediary. Make sure you quote compensation under EC 261/2004.

BA denied my claim initially until I quoted EC 261 and they immediately paid up.

If it is an European airline flying anywhere OR any airline flying into Europe you are covered.

There are get outs for specific types of delay.

Edited by AVB

I used Bott and co.

I was getting nowhere with Jet2 and Bott and co ended up sending them court papers before they would reply.

In the end they took about a third for their cost but it was hassle free.

You could always try yourself and then hand it over to them if it became too much hassle.

Jet2 have a terrible reputation for making it difficult.

BA might be better

Edited by daveboy

would you rather the plane had taken off with a fuel leak??..

Although this is a bit harsh, the airlines are ruthless in extorting money from customers.

Jacking up prices at holidays, term-time etc, adding charges for bags and anything else they can find.

In any other business or service provider, should you pay for something and then either not receive it, or receive it hugely delayed at personal expense, I would expect to be compensated or pay a reduced rate.

Just because they have you stranded across the world doesn't mean you can't complain should they be messing you about.

Just got a quote from Bott&co , they want 25% + VAT + admin fee !!

I did say about a third.

£1000 comp =£250 plus vat =£300 + £25 admin fee

Total £325

As above you may have more joy with BA but I got nowhere with Jet2

Just had a look at my old Emails it took Bott and co nearly a year from start to finish and they had

much more joy than I did (no reply to any of my letters)

Edited by daveboy

Hi Shaun - we were delayed by 4 hours getting back from Puerto Vallarta (Mexico) in July last year and sent Thompson the standard letter below with the relevant bits filled in and received full compensation (Approx £430 each) after about 2-3 months all by good old fashioned snail mail and no middle men creaming off a fee.

Have a go and see how you get on.

Regards

Steve

TUI UK Ltd

TUI Travel House

Crawley Business Quarter

Fleming Way

Crawley

West Sussex

RH10 9QL

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: Compensation claim for delayed flight

Booking reference:

I am writing regarding flight TOM on July 2015 from Puerto Vallarta to London Gatwick with the scheduled departure time of 17:55. This flight arrived four hours late at Gatwick.

The judgment of the Court of Justice of the European Union in Tui & others v CAA confirmed the applicability of compensation for delay as set out in the Sturgeon case. As such, I am seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 for this delayed flight.

The passengers in the party were .

My scheduled flight length was over 9000km, therefore I am seeking £430 per delayed passenger in my party. The total is £860 for all passengers.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days. If I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint further, which could mean taking it to court.

Yours faithfully,

Enc. 1 x copy of booking conformation

I got delayed on an outward flight to Turkey in 2012.

Delay was about 3 1/2 hours,it was somewhat annoying at the time,a few years later I tried the MSE template letter to Monarch Airlines,who just completely ignored it.

Cut to 2 months ago ,used Flight delays.co.uk who use a simple form,but state they take the usual 25% plus some admin.

The rate for my particular delay was 300 Euros less the firms cut ,£181.00 which I received in 2 weeks!

The missus and kids all got the same, took around 5 minutes.

I've done it several times. 100% success record too. Best one is I took my 3 oldest mates to Barcelona to celebrate a big promotion. I footed the bill for everything and as we were delayed coming back I got them £175 each in compensation too !

If you PM me your email I can send you draft letters / websites to confirm distance / reasons for delay etc

And unlike Botts etc I only want 0% of your refund......

• 2 months later...

I've done it several times. 100% success record too. Best one is I took my 3 oldest mates to Barcelona to celebrate a big promotion. I footed the bill for everything and as we were delayed coming back I got them £175 each in compensation too !

If you PM me your email I can send you draft letters / websites to confirm distance / reasons for delay etc

And unlike Botts etc I only want 0% of your refund......

and now we all know why our flights are so expensive,, its because people like yourself are screwing the system for everything they can get,,

its a delay,,,so what these things do happen, but by the sound and I know sometimes it can put people out , but come on,, hearing the sound of KA-CHING everytime you get a flight to try and get , sorry screw a company out of money everytime there is a delay,,

no wonder the world is so ****** up

rant over and tin hat on

Edited by evo

and now we all know why our flights are so expensive,, its because people like yourself are screwing the system for everything they can get,,

its a delay,,,so what these things do happen, but by the sound and I know sometimes it can put people out , but come on,, hearing the sound of KA-CHING everytime you get a flight to try and get , sorry screw a company out of money everytime there is a delay,,

rant over and tin hat on

bang on

i know a travel agent she says some people go on holiday with every intention of getting a full refund

Edited by jonny thomas

Our flights to France were cancelled recently due to strikes by French air traffic control. We had to fly two days later instead. No extra costs for the new flights, but we lost two days of car hire that we'd already paid for and two days of holiday! The general consensus seems to be that we can't claim for delay or cancellation as it was due to industrial action. Does anyone know if there's anything we can do in this case?

Thanks.

rant over and tin hat on

No need for a tin hat - you're absolutely entitled to have an opinion.

Perhaps some more facts may explain my position-

I booked the Barcelona flights solely because of the flight times. It was essentially a one night stay there with flights back at a decent time as we all needed to be in work the next day and two of my mates had v long drives to their offices. I actually wanted to go to Puerto Banus but the flights back were too late on the Sunday.

Monarch knew our flight would be delayed long before we set off to the airport. But they never informed us. They then delayed us by so long we ended up flying home at 300am not 9pm which meant 3 out of the 4 of us were unable to get sufficient sleep to drive safely to work. Hence 3 days / part days leave were used. £175 didn't cover the costs but at least defrayed to some extent.

The second time was BA. I had paid nearly £3k for business class flights for myself, wife and small child. We had another 5 hour delay. They broke our sons pushchair and my wife's suitcase. They claimed they were unable to sit us together on the later aircraft until I stuck our 2 year old in a seat by himself to make a point and other passengers agreed to swap seats. They then flew us to Gatwick. But our car was at Heathrow. They thought a National Express coach ticket each sufficient to address that. Personally I don't think the compensation that the European Court ruled we were entitled to was sufficient in the circumstances but it was easier than taking a case myself.

You do raise an interesting philosophical question though in relation tonRyanair type flights where I guess the compensation could outweigh the initial cost of the flight - limiting the payout to the costs paid would seem reasonable to me but I have never been in that position so do not know what I would do if I was.

bang on

i know a travel agent she says some people go on holiday with every intention of getting a full refund

Really ? What do they do then deliberately cause the plane to be significantly delayed so they can claim ? I do love these urban myths

Has anybody claimed for a flight delay ?, and have you won ?.

We had a 16 hr delay returning from Cancun in Mexico in March, there were 3 adults in the party.

We had flown out with Thompson airlines ,

Just wondering how other people had gone on, if you have put a claim in who did you use ?

Shaun

lol missus mate could have been on same flight she had a delay same month place and airline. yes she banged in a claim cant remember how much was near 500 quid

Really ? What do they do then deliberately cause the plane to be significantly delayed so they can claim ? I do love these urban myths

:good: I do love an urban myth myself, what some people don't realise is that for every person who bothers to lodge a claim there are possibly dozens who don't bother. I have had perfectly valid causes for compensation but just never put pen to paper.