Peas

Fredwalton

Pigeons can take an interest in the peas at any stage of growth, depending what else is available to them.

Depending on the variety of peas and when they are sown they will probably be harvested late June, and throughout July.

Always worth checking with the farmer that's it is ok to shoot the crop as is nears harvest, as some are not to keen.

Thanks that's good to know. Do pigeons hit the field once it's been harvested?

Round these parts a freshly vined pea field normally gets more interest from gulls and corvids before it is soon disced up.

If the field is left for any lenght of time the pigeons might well find it. JDog and i shot 100+ on a pea stubble last year which had been left a week or so.

Pigeons will find pea attractive now, whilst they are in flower, or soon will be and could well be the best time for peas. I would suggest afternoons from midday into evening is a good time to look for pigeons on peas. Make sure that your decoys are visible, so use cradles for dead birds or canes/long pegs for artificials.

As with all pigeon shooting, do your home work, watch the field, look for the flight lines and take the opportunity when it's at it's best. Peas are not the magic elixir, but they can provide some great sport.

Theres alot of pigeons on the peas now. I have been having some great days sport on them iv had a couple of 100 days in the last fortnight. Well worth keeping an eye on them now everything else is to high to shoot but I always seem to have the best shooting when they are harvested don't think I have ever not shot a good bag on peas. I think you will do well at some point on them good look let us no how you do cheers.

Theres alot of pigeons on the peas now. I have been having some great days sport on them iv had a couple of 100 days in the last fortnight. Well worth keeping an eye on them now everything else is to high to shoot but I always seem to have the best shooting when they are harvested don't think I have ever not shot a good bag on peas. I think you will do well at some point on them good look let us no how you do cheers.

I am not doubting your shooting prowess but if you have had some good bags as you say why not put up your own reports with pictures?

Yes, it would be nice to see how others are getting on. I am finding this forum very quiet/boring just lately.

I am not doubting your shooting prowess but if you have had some good bags as you say why not put up your own reports with pictures?

I would pal if new how to do it would put em on tried to work it out fort it would be copy paste and stick it on New to these forums a don't do social media so you can see why am struggling only came on to the forum to begin with because 2 months ago couldn't find a bird and wondered how others were doing. but past fortnight I have had 2 outings were I have shot a 106 and a 102 am not shooting prowess pal am not George digweed but I have had some fantastic days.but am not new to pigeon shooting been going for over 20 years so am not a novice fairly clued in I would say. Cheers

Last year the most activity we had on fodder peas was about now,they homed in on some thinner corners and headlands .

Would say this years crop is two weeks behind due to later drilling ,so there`s time yet.

Had 37 and 22 over Whit weekend as they were coming through,which were about the norm here.

First year they were grown,hardly a pigeon went near them at all !

i am with paddy g. dont know how to post pictures, must be an age thing just had the big 70. not that there been anything to post lately, this time last year we were shooting pigeons 3 times a week from the same field.i think its due to the extra amount of peas thats gone in around here

I would pal if new how to do it would put em on tried to work it out fort it would be copy paste and stick it on New to these forums a don't do social media so you can see why am struggling only came on to the forum to begin with because 2 months ago couldn't find a bird and wondered how others were doing. but past fortnight I have had 2 outings were I have shot a 106 and a 102 am not shooting prowess pal am not George digweed but I have had some fantastic days.but am not new to pigeon shooting been going for over 20 years so am not a novice fairly clued in I would say. Cheers

:lol::good:

i am with paddy g. dont know how to post pictures, must be an age thing just had the big 70. not that there been anything to post lately, this time last year we were shooting pigeons 3 times a week from the same field.i think its due to the extra amount of peas thats gone in around here

:good:

I have a friend in North Kent that is doing well with pigeons on flowering peas, but in my area of South Kent, they just don't seem interested.

The activity does seem more regional than general at the moment.

Peas use to be the crop that I shot from drilling to harvest, but not so much nowadays.

I have a friend in North Kent that is doing well with pigeons on flowering peas, but in my area of South Kent, they just don't seem interested.

The activity does seem more regional than general at the moment.

Peas use to be the crop that I shot from drilling to harvest, but not so much nowadays.