Guerini, Opinions?

buze

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Magnus Sporter and would like to echo the other comments. A lovely gun with finish better then Beretta and Browning Guns that are in the same price range. I originally looked at the b725 black edition, which was a nice gun and fitted well and also a Beretta 690 111 sport at last years shooting show. Then visited CG stand and got talking to Kevin Gill. My mate and i looked at the Guerinni Summit. A lovely gun. Picked it up and wow!! My mind was made up but in the end i opted for a Magnus sporter with lovely game scene sideplates. I use the gun for clays and game shooting. I did'nt buy new. I ended up getting a magnus that was 10 months old. In original case with all chokes and gun socks and tools etc. A saving of £700 against the new price. I would look at a used gun for true value for money. Added to the fact that the 10 year warranty is transferable you can't go wrong.

My shooting buddy ended up buying a Magnus sporter also but his has the 32" barrels. Again a used example that he picked up at last years CLA . He shot really well last season with it.

One of my clay shooting pals has the Summit Accsent with the high rib. Moved on from a Blaser and his scores have improved and he's jumped up a class too. Says it all really.

I like owning a CG as well becuase its something a little different from your Berettas, Brownings and Miroku's as well. Not knocking them though because they are all good guns in their own right. You wont go wrong with a CG though :yes:

ATB,

pat

Genuinely interested in this thread as I am looking for a new gun within the next year.

I like the look of the guns and love the price but up in my neck of the woods they seem to get pretty mixed reviews to say the least.

Always wonder if people just dismiss other brands in favour of their own. Must admit I am always surprised at the slating beretta get as about 70% of our syndicate have one and nobody has had issues.

Anyway back on point- really like the look of the Magnus and will hopefully be able to see one in the flesh to make up my mind.

Yes it's nice to see a post where people tell of their real experience; theres quite a few reviews (including endorsement from BEEEEEEEEEEEP) but I'm always a bit wary of reviews...

Anyway, new gun will be my personal prize for my first official 25 at skeet, so i do have a few weeks to go, I think ;-)

Looking at the guntrader, not many second hand come with the adjustable comb, so I /might/ buy new -- unless something comes up...

Genuinely interested in this thread as I am looking for a new gun within the next year.

I like the look of the guns and love the price but up in my neck of the woods they seem to get pretty mixed reviews to say the least.

Always wonder if people just dismiss other brands in favour of their own. Must admit I am always surprised at the slating beretta get as about 70% of our syndicate have one and nobody has had issues.

Anyway back on point- really like the look of the Magnus and will hopefully be able to see one in the flesh to make up my mind.

So am I considering in 500 years they've only made one poor clay gun with the 692, prior to that they were the undisputed makers of mid priced, quality guns that literally last a life time and don't break or rust which the nearest Japanese competitor most certainly does. :)

up in my neck of the woods they seem to get pretty mixed reviews to say the least.

Things change but often enough attitudes and opinions stick. CGs use an action design which is similar to that used by multiple Italian, Turkish and Spanish guns. It's often referred to as the "Rizzini" action and historically, most such guns were in the budget gun category. Bettinsoli, Lincoln, Franchi, Sabatti, Lanber etc. are typical makers. A lot of people, particularly gunsmiths and the old timers, perceived CGs as simply blinged up budget guns at rip off prices and I have to confess to having once held a similar view.

About 6 years ago I was casting around for a new sporter and asked a local gunsmith about Guerinis. He was quite critical and said: "When you get ejector problems, and you will, don't bring it to me!". So i made a point of searching for any history of ejector problems with CGs and any other recurring problems for that matter. To date I've never found any sort of weakness in the design or engineering of these guns. A few months ago I went to see the same gunsmith and told him I now had a CG and It was the best fitted, best finished and best built gun I'd ever owned he said: "Nothing wrong with CGs at all, good guns but they use roll pins and I don't like them because they're awful things to get out". I pointed out that, unlike my SV10 Beretta, my CG has no roll pins anywhere and he thanked me for that.

The CG action lock up method is just like Browning and Blaser, the triggers and firing system is a much refined version of the Browning system with the addition of Beretta style interceptor sears, and the ejectors operate the same way as a Perazzi. Barrel regulation is within 2" of POA and barrel convergence also within 2", which is up to 4 times closer than Beretta's stated tolerances.

When you weigh up all the benefits and extras with a CG it seems a nonsense that the street price of a standard Summit is £5-600 less than a standard 692.

Things change but often enough attitudes and opinions stick. CGs use an action design which is similar to that used by multiple Italian, Turkish and Spanish guns. It's often referred to as the "Rizzini" action and historically, most such guns were in the budget gun category. Bettinsoli, Lincoln, Franchi, Sabatti, Lanber etc. are typical makers. A lot of people, particularly gunsmiths and the old timers, perceived CGs as simply blinged up budget guns at rip off prices and I have to confess to having once held a similar view.

About 6 years ago I was casting around for a new sporter and asked a local gunsmith about Guerinis. He was quite critical and said: "When you get ejector problems, and you will, don't bring it to me!". So i made a point of searching for any history of ejector problems with CGs and any other recurring problems for that matter. To date I've never found any sort of weakness in the design or engineering of these guns. A few months ago I went to see the same gunsmith and told him I now had a CG and It was the best fitted, best finished and best built gun I'd ever owned he said: "Nothing wrong with CGs at all, good guns but they use roll pins and I don't like them because they're awful things to get out". I pointed out that, unlike my SV10 Beretta, my CG has no roll pins anywhere and he thanked me for that.

The CG action lock up method is just like Browning and Blaser, the triggers and firing system is a much refined version of the Browning system with the addition of Beretta style interceptor sears, and the ejectors operate the same way as a Perazzi. Barrel regulation is within 2" of POA and barrel convergence also within 2", which is up to 4 times closer than Beretta's stated tolerances.

When you weigh up all the benefits and extras with a CG it seems a nonsense that the street price of a standard Summit is £5-600 less than a standard 692.

Thanks a lot for the time you took to make this detailed post, it reinforces what I had heard (wildly different opinions!) but the amount of recent experience from shooters here have made my mind up, I'll definitely go Guerini for my second gun!

I noticed the 'Essex' is no longer on their website; while I see quite a lot fo them on second hand market; have they pushed the range 'one up' and removed the essex at the bottom end?

Seen some that were getting quite loose after having a few put through them. The triggers have had wear problems that have been addressed on the newest models coming into the country according to the fellow on the CG stand at the Essex Masters they're now made of harder steel and hard chrome plated to slow any wear.

The Invictus Summit Accent is the best action with replaceable wear peices in the action fences. A few I know of have had rust problems on the barrels but was sorted under warranty.

I love the look of the Elipse Evo round body for a game gun but I'd like it better with side plates. Two friends have the Magnus models one a 32" and one 30" for a do all gun the 30" is nicely balanced and with Ext chokes will measure 31"

I don't think the build quality is the best with them TBH, I have had most guns and bought a Maxam as the gun I would keep for a longer time for game, I really look after my guns, it has corrosion on the side plate joint to mechanism, rattle in the stock, loose solder on the rib.

I expressed my concerns to Guerini on the stand at the shooting show and they said I'd be better buying a browning!

That tells you allot of they are not offering good after sales service!

I've had a summit for 2years now and it was second hand when I bought it been out in all

Weather's never seen any rust,saying that I do clean mine really well and have gun socks on all my guns when stored and 2 v90 patches in cabinet.I h 've a mate that has a 725 browning year old and its a rust bucket he never cleans it properly a quick wipe with an oily rag if it's lucky .

I wonder if /some/ guns aren't just more prone to rust/problems? You can hear that from some browning as well.

The loose action problem mentioned seems to be recurrent -- how long does it take to happen, and is it 'serviceable' ?

Guest stevo

I wonder if /some/ guns aren't just more prone to rust/problems? You can hear that from some browning as well.

The loose action problem mentioned seems to be recurrent -- how long does it take to happen, and is it 'serviceable' ?

I'm only going by my own exp. my summit started to slacken after 2500 rounds and by

The time I had put 15000 through it ( one yr down the road ) it was very very slack. To the point if I pushed open the top lever it would drop down on its own. That said the gun was still very tight to face.

I'm only going by my own exp. my summit started to slacken after 2500 rounds and by

The time I had put 15000 through it ( one yr down the road ) it was very very slack. To the point if I pushed open the top lever it would drop down on its own. That said the gun was still very tight to face.

Exactly the same can be said of other guns. It's common with Brownings/Mirokus and especially DT-10s but, as with the DT-10 and unlike Brownings etc. it's a simple quick and inexpensive fix. The best way to avoid it on any of these guns is to properly lubricate the forend knuckle. As for rust, next time you see a Perazzi owner giving his gun a wipe down and pull through after a shoot, ask him/her why...

I've had two, and I'm almost likely buying a 3rd. The Invictus ACS.

I had a Summit way back when literally nobody had heard of them in 2007 or 8 Asia felt so good and had a lot of features from more expensive guns. I sold that for significantly more than I paid for it 5 years later in favour of a very pretty Maxum with custom wood. I put a lot of cartridges through them and never suffered any rust or reliability issues, unlike my browning. A minor fore-end split was replaced with a matching one straight away.

I'm actually a fussy tart and would buy anything unless it looked and functioned well. My shortlist is Invictus, DT11 and K-80, says it all maybe.

Edited by Peter De La Mare