Pointless jobs

old'un

hello, would say realy pointless is the grass/leaf blower operatives contractors/council going around after the mowers most goes into the roads to block the drains after a good rain, why not use a vacuum type then can empty in a more appropriate area

Simple? cost of disposal?

Do you know more about it Winston ? Be interested to hear it. The areas I've seen no matter how bad they are people complain that they can not get rid of bad staff!

Add to this they their recruitment is rubbish, and there are a fair few staff on the sick on full pay, come back for a few days when they are about to lose the pay then go back on the sick!

"no more job for life"

Dear all,

In previous updates I have kept you informed of the financial situation and the difficult challenge we continue to face that will mean changes in what the council does and how it does it.

Since 2010, we have successfully responded to the financial challenge using our valued relationship with our workforce and union colleagues to do everything we can to avoid compulsory redundancies. Back then we were at the start of this period of financial austerity and estimated we would need to reduce staff numbers by around 3,000. In fact we managed to limit some of the impact, for example through increasing income, meaning the reduction was slightly less at around 2,500. Very few of those people left on a compulsory basis.

However we are now facing a new four-year financial challenge and estimate we may need to lose up to another 2,000 jobs by 2020. As I’ve already mentioned we have a good record minimizing the impact on our staff but we may have to lose approximately 800 of those jobs by the end of this financial year, unless the financial settlement for councils improves. Therefore we will do everything we can, working with trade union colleagues, to use the flexibility in our workforce and all of the voluntary processes we have available. I want to be honest though that it will be harder to avoid some compulsory redundancies this time around.

To help prepare for more changes, an ongoing process of reviews is happening across a range of services to identify savings, increase income generation and, importantly, to identify any risks that changing or stopping services may bring. It is still the aim to protect front-line services as far as possible and especially those services that support the most vulnerable and support our ambition to be a compassionate city.

I would like to assure you that decisions will only be taken following discussions with staff across the council, elected members, the public and partners and with trade unions. When redundancies are our only option they will be managed openly and fairly in line with the policies agreed with the trade unions.

More information about the challenge facing the Council, including on workforce reductions, will be contained within a report going to Executive Board next week. This will be available here tomorrow.

We will be in a better position to let you know more by the autumn but the big message from me is to keep doing the job you are doing, as well as you possibly can, to help the people and the city of Leeds. We will keep engaging with you about the position through the usual line management channels as well as from me directly in the autumn.

We will make sure between us that Leeds continues to be a place where local government improves the city and the lives of citizens, especially those that need our help the most.

Best wishes

Tom

Leeds - aiming to be the UK's best city

Edited by Winston72

my mates sister worked at the home office and got £70,000 redundancy within a few weeks she had another job in a different department. most of the council workers that i know that got redundancy were close to retirement age anyway and got a good payout more than they had saved all their lives. this was a few year back.

my mates sister worked at the home office and got £70,000 redundancy within a few weeks she had another job in a different department. most of the council workers that i know that got redundancy were close to retirement age anyway and got a good payout more than they had saved all their lives. this was a few year back.

Lots of police officers retire and then get re-employed immediately in their old jobs, often at their old desk. Its a way of shifting them off one budget onto another.

My brother was employed by the civil service. He was offered redundancy with a payout of £78k which he was going to take. They thought he was hanging on for a better offer so then offered him a years gardening leave on full pay. He took the offers and after three weeks got a call saying "if you want to find a job that's ok". so he got over £150 k.

Shame he's such a tool, I can't stand him.

Lots of police officers retire and then get re-employed immediately in their old jobs, often at their old desk. Its a way of shifting them off one budget onto another.

if they join at 21 and do their 25 years that means they retire at 46 on average they die at 80 and are on pension for 34 years thats longer than they work. i started at 15 worked till 70 and just get goverment pension if i had my time again i would definatley work in the public secter

I met a guy out shooting and we started to talk about jobs and he was a test driver for Land Rover which sounds a brilliant job but he explained that he would be told to drive the North Wales test route and complete a thousand third to fourth gear changes during his shift. The vehicle had a manual clicker on the dash and monitors on the gearbox to confirm that he had been moving all the time . Now that sounds a boring job.

if they join at 21 and do their 25 years that means they retire at 46 on average they die at 80 and are on pension for 34 years thats longer than they work. i started at 15 worked till 70 and just get goverment pension if i had my time again i would definatley work in the public secter

My mates dad retired just before they made all the big pension changes in the Police, he had a big pay off and a fat pension. Lives very well. Also offered lots of work as Police staff, consultancy etc.

pretty much most of what youve just said is rubbish , youre obviously just repeating things that youve heard said over the years , you clearly have no knowledge whatsoever of how things really work at a local authority , and why things have to happen in the way that they do.

lots of money gets wasted due to xxxx covering , it has to be covered because just about every smart alec know nothing is looking to dig the knife in at every opportunity.

Agree with this ^^

Oh by the way Mel, found you a better place to hide the council truck out of sight so next time you fancy another days shooting do the usual. Just go to depot and clock on, come out to the shoot in your truck and hide it round the back again, when we've finished you can take the truck back to the council depot and clock off. Jobs a good un again :good::yes:

Wouldn't tell anyone on here though, they may get the wrong idea :yes:

Agree with this ^^

Oh by the way Mel, found you a better place to hide the council truck out of sight so next time you fancy another days shooting do the usual. Just go to depot and clock on, come out to the shoot in your truck and hide it round the back again, when we've finished you can take the truck back to the council depot and clock off. Jobs a good un again :good::yes:

Wouldn't tell anyone on here though, they may get the wrong idea :yes:

i cant do it any more mate , my loaders have complained that the shooting is keeping them awake all day . :lol:

heres a little example of how money is wasted .

well be out working on our daily round , it comes to lunchtime so we stop for break (im a hgv driver so i have to take a tachograph break to comply with the law) , ill get a call from my office stating that some busybody is on the phone , theyre complaining that a council truck , with three lazy council workers inside , is parked up at the side of the road , with the lazy council workers doing nothing except eating sandwiches and drinking tea, you get the usual screaming that "i pay my council tax , im paying for you to sit there doing nothing !" , (we dont actually get paid for breaks) , ill then stop my break and move to somewhere else to make them happy (and have to start my break over again to comply with tacho regulations) , a lot of the drivers just drive back to the depot to avoid confrontation with the public , this can be a half hour drive either way , its a massive waste of money and resources but it keeps the nosey busybodies off your back , it can also mean that a round doesnt get finished on time and a crew will need to go out on overtime and collect whats been left , i could think of dozens of other examples of similar things happening , the cost of things like this is massive and it goes onto everyones council tax bill , everything that a local authority does has to be open to scrutiny , and we have to do lots of mind blowingly stupid things to keep the public happy , just one habitual complainer can cost a local authority thousands of pounds every year.

the days of council workers working two hours a day and getting a massive pension ended about 30 years ago.

i cant do it any more mate , my loaders have complained that the shooting is keeping them awake all day . :lol:

heres a little example of how money is wasted .

well be out working on our daily round , it comes to lunchtime so we stop for break (im a hgv driver so i have to take a tachograph break to comply with the law) , ill get a call from my office stating that some busybody is on the phone , theyre complaining that a council truck , with three lazy council workers inside , is parked up at the side of the road , with the lazy council workers doing nothing except eating sandwiches and drinking tea, you get the usual screaming that "i pay my council tax , im paying for you to sit there doing nothing !" , (we dont actually get paid for breaks) , ill then stop my break and move to somewhere else to make them happy (and have to start my break over again to comply with tacho regulations) , a lot of the drivers just drive back to the depot to avoid confrontation with the public , this can be a half hour drive either way , its a massive waste of money and resources but it keeps the nosey busybodies off your back , it can also mean that a round doesnt get finished on time and a crew will need to go out on overtime and collect whats been left , i could think of dozens of other examples of similar things happening , the cost of things like this is massive and it goes onto everyones council tax bill , everything that a local authority does has to be open to scrutiny , and we have to do lots of mind blowingly stupid things to keep the public happy , just one habitual complainer can cost a local authority thousands of pounds every year.

the days of council workers working two hours a day and getting a massive pension ended about 30 years ago.

+1

I use mine to try and restore faith in BMW drivers being able to find them and use them.

According to Jezza Clarckson, it's Audi drivers these days... :lol::lol:

A quick look on YT "dashcam" will reveal that myth for what it is...rubbish.

Plonkers are plonkers and drive everything from £200 Micra's to £200,000 Rolls Royce's

Edited by achosenman