Motion sickness

Scully

Watching a bit of the World Rallying Championships I wondered if the co-drivers ever suffer from motion sickness as more often than not they're reading their notes and not looking ahead. I realise it's a fairly daft question really, but how do they avoid motion sickness? Experience? Pills?

I was recently a passenger in the back of a car driven by a friends wife. It is an Audi something or other and very powerful.

She took off while I still had one leg literally out of the car, and accelerated with such aggression I was thrown forward before I'd had chance to fasten my seatbelt when she braked for a corner.

Now I haven't suffered from car motion sickness since I was at primary school, but the journey continued likewise for the next hour or so. She would approach every corner as fast as possible and treat each one like it was a 90 degree turn, so we went from being thrown back in our seats to thrown forward against our seatbelts, and then lurch sideways as she negotiated each corner. She would drive right up the chuff of every car in front, causing her to constantly brake and then accelerate. By the time we got to where we were going I was dreading the journey home.

The school runs must be a nightmare for her three kids.

I'm obviously not cut out for co-driving so will stick to watching it on the telly.

I did navigating on road rallies in my early twenties. I always suffered with bad sickness. Would often pull up at a marshall point and heave up over them. I don't know why I bothered with it as reading in a car always made me sick.

I eventually got over car sickness when I was living in India and somehow got used to reading my blackberry/ipad when being chauffered around. Somehow my brain adapted. I suppose that's what happens to pro-co drivers.

Interesting. I have no problem reading while travelling but equally have no doubt I would if the vehicle were being thrown around on a rally stage, or by mates missus.

On a recent return flight I was reading when we hit some of the worst turbulence I've ever experienced. I soon had to stop reading and was at one point searching for my spew bag just in case, but unfortunately didn't need it.

Interesting. I have no problem reading while travelling but equally have no doubt I would if the vehicle were being thrown around on a rally stage, or by mates missus.

On a recent return flight I was reading when we hit some of the worst turbulence I've ever experienced. I soon had to stop reading and was at one point searching for my spew bag just in case, but unfortunately didn't need it.

Strange you should say that Scully, I have found when i look around the plane during bad turbulence most people seem to be quietly reading, well at least thier mouths seem to be moving anyway. :lol::lol:

Strange you should say that Scully, I have found when i look around the plane during bad turbulence most people seem to be quietly reading, well at least thier mouths seem to be moving anyway. :lol::lol:

:yes: Have you noticed that if you scream in a library everyone tells you to be quiet? But if you do it on a plane everyone joins in!

There was a woman in the toilet during the entire turbulence episode; she was almost frantic and very pale when she came out. Not pleasant. I'm assuming some co-drivers may take some sort of motion sickness pills. I'm not a good sailor on small boats or ferries, ( unless I'm up top ) but even managed some breakfast on a return trip from the Isle of Man after some tablets. On big cruise ships I'm fine.

67 now and cannot travel in the rear of a car and certainly cannot read in any seat! Cannot sleep whilst travelling! Cannot travel backwards on a train! Any of these and I will be sick after a very short while......I have suffered this all my life! But can travel any distance in the front passenger seat as long as I look forward at all times!

67 now and cannot travel in the rear of a car and certainly cannot read in any seat! Cannot sleep whilst travelling! Cannot travel backwards on a train! Any of these and I will be sick after a very short while......I have suffered this all my life! But can travel any distance in the front passenger seat as long as I look forward at all times!

I have read its all about seeing the forward horizon. I am fine with every apart from boats, not a fan of pitch and roll. :lol:

Watching a bit of the World Rallying Championships I wondered if the co-drivers ever suffer from motion sickness as more often than not they're reading their notes and not looking ahead. I realise it's a fairly daft question really, but how do they avoid motion sickness? Experience? Pills?

I was recently a passenger in the back of a car driven by a friends wife. It is an Audi something or other and very powerful.

She took off while I still had one leg literally out of the car, and accelerated with such aggression I was thrown forward before I'd had chance to fasten my seatbelt when she braked for a corner.

Now I haven't suffered from car motion sickness since I was at primary school, but the journey continued likewise for the next hour or so. She would approach every corner as fast as possible and treat each one like it was a 90 degree turn, so we went from being thrown back in our seats to thrown forward against our seatbelts, and then lurch sideways as she negotiated each corner. She would drive right up the chuff of every car in front, causing her to constantly brake and then accelerate. By the time we got to where we were going I was dreading the journey home.

The school runs must be a nightmare for her three kids.

I'm obviously not cut out for co-driving so will stick to watching it on the telly.

I service for a rally team competing in the nationals and the btrda. The company driver doesn't get sick neither do the large majority of others. If you look at the cars usually the course driver is lower down than the driver as that has something to do with it iirc.

Isn't the human body weird, I could read war and peace into the car or sleep quite happily. However, spin me round on an office chair too quick and I will very quickly turn green, cant do teacups at the fair or just dizziness in general!

i had motion sickness once at the Kings Lynn Mart...........i was with some mates we had a skinfull........and we went on the waltzer...and all the people queing standing around the edge...we all got motion sickness and spewed out to back...there were screams as everybody ran for cover ...they stopped the ride early and we RAN for it...chased by 50 or so people who wanted to beat the £$%^ out of us....we ran down ferry allet and jumped into the river and swam as far as the yaght club and hid under the club balcony with water up to our waists................

...we were there for an hour and a half and finally we sneaked out and made our escape...wet and covered in mud.................

that was in 1972 ish.............they also had the Bearded lady outside the Dukes Head...she had a stick on beard and big knockers....

anyone remember ?

:yes: Have you noticed that if you scream in a library everyone tells you to be quiet? But if you do it on a plane everyone joins in!

There was a woman in the toilet during the entire turbulence episode; she was almost frantic and very pale when she came out. Not pleasant. I'm assuming some co-drivers may take some sort of motion sickness pills. I'm not a good sailor on small boats or ferries, ( unless I'm up top ) but even managed some breakfast on a return trip from the Isle of Man after some tablets. On big cruise ships I'm fine.

:lol: inexplicable

Happened to a friend of mine. Did the fish come and feed off it?

We were told not to go out drinking the night before scuba diving as it was almost impossible to stop yourself throwing up in your mask. I did as I was told and was fine, but one of two mates who drank threw up and was immediately surrounded by tiny fish! 😀

Down in Cornwall some years back,,Went out in Fishermans boat catching mackerel..18 footer.

Spent 5 hours of hell off the mousel and lands end,,never,never again...

When got back to the dock,my legs wobbled something terrible..

Got to the pub,There were 3 of us onboard..

Told my miss's, io nerly called the elecopter out,he warn arf bad,,,bad,,it was like brown blood,,

No lining left on my stomach,,NEVER AGAIN..