Fixing Fence Posts to Brickwork

lord_seagrave

Continuing the theme of silly questions:

I have a raise patio area around which I would like to add a sturdy fence to prevent Little Lord Seagrave coming a cropper as he starts to mess about with a balance bike.

The fence posts are nearly 3" thick.

Can I buy an expansion bolt rawlplug sleeve thing to insert into the brick, but buy a much longer bolt to go through the fence post and still go deep enough into the sleeve?

I reckon I need a washer to prevent wood damage on the head side, but do I need a washer on the brick side too the prevent the sleeve being pulled into the wood?

Is there a ready-made version of this to do such a job? Or does anyone have any bright ideas as to how it could be done?

The height of the brickwork is about 3' and so I am thinking I need two fastenings on each of the six posts (so that's 12 of these fasteners I need, just in case any has a 'trade' solution that can only be bought by the thousand).

All help gratefully received. :good:

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave

When I did mine I just used a long woodscrews into a brown plug x 4 drIlled the post first to the diameter of the shank.Then drilled 3/4"deep into the post to the diameter of the head.Can't remember the length of the screws but they were long enough to go into the plug well so I would say around 4".

The posts have never moved despite the gales battering the panels.

Edited by wisdom

U also get hammer fixings too, which are real easy to use. Just drill throu both post and wall and hammer the fixing in

I take it the 'fence' is going to act as a banister/handrail?

If u have not already bought the fence posts u could buy a heavy rail, say a 4x2 (often planed) which would also be strong enough and probably a cheaper option as long as ur fence is not solid and only a banister

When I did mine I just used a long woodscrews into a brown plug x 4 drIlled the post first to the diameter of the shank.Then drilled 3/4"deep into the post to the diameter of the head.Can't remember the length of the screws but they were long enough to go into the plug well so I would say around 4".

The posts have never moved despite the gales battering the panels.

This is how my 4" posts are held on,

If done properly you should have no problems, mine are attached to a 6ft fence that gets hit by winds and never moved

:shaun:

I would use frame fixings from screwfix or toolstation link http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-frame-fixings-10-x-135mm-10-pack/15978?kpid=15978&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=COrRgYPEttACFQzhGwodXPQBGQ

The plain smooth shank part of the screw is better than full screw cut for holding timber.

I would use frame fixings from screwfix or toolstation link http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-frame-fixings-10-x-135mm-10-pack/15978?kpid=15978&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=COrRgYPEttACFQzhGwodXPQBGQ

The plain smooth shank part of the screw is better than full screw cut for holding timber.

The Screwfix site is not working at the moment but they do a full range of screws which have a hex head and matching plugs so that you can get enough depth and hold so that the post holds in place. these are made for the job so why modify something else to try to do the job such as counter boring the post. Edited by fortune