Ugly Sisters

impala59

We have many beautiful guns displayed on this forum and I, like probably everyone, really enjoy seeing the quality and craftsmanship evident in these superb possessions. I appreciate the fine woodwork and engraving and lust after these guns as much as anyone........

However, I also really enjoy PSG and Mini rifle competition shooting and whilst modifying and trying to improve my equipment within a limited budget I have allowed function to dictate form on two of my guns. Its very rewarding and frustrating in equal measures when things work (or don't!) but I must say that creating something unique to me has its own reward. (especially when it does work!) I have a rule that I never break, I do not interfere with high pressure areas, I never drill, file or cut into the firearm and all mods must be removable so as to return to standard if I should desire. The picture shows my Valtro PM5 pump action box-fed 12g and my Sabatti 1822 sporter both modified to a specific purpose, and this is how they came out. Both have been labelled as seriously ugly by respected forum members and I suppose they have a point, but who thinks their own creations are ugly?

My question is this; are these the ugliest guns on the forum? or do you have a real Quasimodo in your cabinet?

post-75958-0-12841500-1479597738_thumb.jpg

You have me beaten there! lol

The nearest I can come is a standard composite stocked Mossberg 500 20 bore.

I'm thinking of tweaking it a bit - does anyone use a 20 for PSG?

I wouldn't mind giving it a try but I'm not aware of anywhere that does it near me in North Yorkshire.

All my other guns are fairly traditional other than my Blaser clay guns.

Sorry to say:

Both are uglier than my MP153, even with it's shell catcher mounted...

However...

Do they work? Form follows function!

Have had some problems with the shotgun as changed the mag procedure

from rock and lock to straight insert but am just about there now, currently working on a prettier mag-well :lol: without all the hex bolts ​The .22 is only bolt on extras and home made stock, functioning remains unaltered

You have me beaten there! lol

The nearest I can come is a standard composite stocked Mossberg 500 20 bore.

I'm thinking of tweaking it a bit - does anyone use a 20 for PSG?

I wouldn't mind giving it a try but I'm not aware of anywhere that does it near me in North Yorkshire.

All my other guns are fairly traditional other than my Blaser clay guns.

No reason why 20g should not be used (except maybe price?)

I am sure there are some good PSG clubs in your part of the world (google 4 islands as a start point, UKPSA, NRA )

No gun is ugly. They are different. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Would they be anymore effective or accurate if they had an exhibition piece of Turkish walnut stock or a ton of 24 ct gold inlayed into the action? naahh. I have seen blokes with £20.000 guns that cant hit the birds coming over in droves and on the other side of the coin a lad with a battered Baikal with a pile in front and a pile behind. If you are happy with them and you take out the targets then that’s all that counts. If anyone gets a bit sniffy over you using them then tell them to look the other way and then they wont be offended. Probably the most ugly and fence post gun that I own is an Investarm in 28 bore. It is as new and I bought it with a load of other stuff at an auction. It goes bang and stuff falls down and you would never wear the barrels out in several lifetimes but it is one ugly beast.

IMG_0359_zpsd3e36633.jpg

No gun is ugly. They are different. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Would they be anymore effective or accurate if they had an exhibition piece of Turkish walnut stock or a ton of 24 ct gold inlayed into the action? naahh. I have seen blokes with £20.000 guns that cant hit the birds coming over in droves and on the other side of the coin a lad with a battered Baikal with a pile in front and a pile behind. If you are happy with them and you take out the targets then that’s all that counts. If anyone gets a bit sniffy over you using them then tell them to look the other way and then they wont be offended. Probably the most ugly and fence post gun that I own is an Investarm in 28 bore. It is as new and I bought it with a load of other stuff at an auction. It goes bang and stuff falls down and you would never wear the barrels out in several lifetimes but it is one ugly beast.

IMG_0359_zpsd3e36633.jpg

Not ugly, just functional?

I felt sorry for it and was going to take it to the friends shoot yesterday afternoon but I had loaded up 20 & 12 bore lead instead of 28 and as I was a bit pushed for time It was put away again. I shoot well enough with it but it is a bit of a camel. No offence to you if you are a camel.

I can never find anything 'Black' or box fed as ugly

Was 'in the cabinet' yesterday with a revo tactical- 10/22 takedown with skeleton stock and 50rnd drum, then my new fav of a UTAS xtr12 with 10rnd mags, flip up sights,tactical scope and picatinny mounted fire-grip

Back at home number two and just browsed my other 'black' numbers in .243, 12g short barrel and .300 winmag all tarted up.

Just can't help myself :-)

We have many beautiful guns displayed on this forum and I, like probably everyone, really enjoy seeing the quality and craftsmanship evident in these superb possessions. I appreciate the fine woodwork and engraving and lust after these guns as much as anyone........

However, I also really enjoy PSG and Mini rifle competition shooting and whilst modifying and trying to improve my equipment within a limited budget I have allowed function to dictate form on two of my guns. Its very rewarding and frustrating in equal measures when things work (or don't!) but I must say that creating something unique to me has its own reward. (especially when it does work!) I have a rule that I never break, I do not interfere with high pressure areas, I never drill, file or cut into the firearm and all mods must be removable so as to return to standard if I should desire. The picture shows my Valtro PM5 pump action box-fed 12g and my Sabatti 1822 sporter both modified to a specific purpose, and this is how they came out. Both have been labelled as seriously ugly by respected forum members and I suppose they have a point, but who thinks their own creations are ugly?

My question is this; are these the ugliest guns on the forum? or do you have a real Quasimodo in your cabinet?

attachicon.gifugly sisters.JPG

Agree with you about looking at different types , would say any gun is ugly just wish I had the knowledge you guys have to attempted some off the stuff

Edited by bullet1747