Jasper, my greatest supporter.

JDog

Last early summer circumstances contrived a situation where I had to get a semi auto or give up shooting. I part exchanged two guns for the semi auto including my beloved Miroku 6000 with which I have had some modest success. That was a mistake.

Normally I am invited on a couple of game shooting days where my semi auto would not be welcome. With that in mind I have been looking for a new gun and last week I bought a Miroku 7000 sporter which fits a treat and which comes up well when I am dry mounting.

The situation in the field is very different and I have performed badly on two roost shoots this week. Jasper, rock steady as normal, has taken to asking if I am ready to send him to retrieve my birds after I have taken shots. I have to break it to him gently that I have missed everything so far. He really cannot believe it. He has now turned into a sycophant.....' but Daddy you are normally so good'. Don't believe it Jasper it's not true.

DSC07490_zpsarghb95c.jpg

hhahhah...................one of my sprokers from a while ago was like that....he also used to count the guns out and wasnt happy if he couldnt see them all..........he also used to complain when birds flew over the guns and were missed....i wont tell you what his launguage was like.....................

when i sold my loverly game gun to fund the landrover re-build...i was given another game gun....and had the meauserments transfered to my givern gun.........still cant shoot as well as the old one with it................you will just have to stick with it....

That looks a lovely gun JDog. I wouldn't mind betting that the pigeons on these roost sessions weren't your average 'doddlers' [i know you too well!]

I also agree with Samboy it does take time. I am still getting the hang of my trap gun and i've had it nearly a year now!

Edited by aga man

Your new gun looks very nice and I can guarantee you will look after it, with the roost shooting perhaps your not compensating for your boots sinking into the soft Lincolnshire soil opposed to the Cotswold stone? Jasper will soon learn to hear the shot contact with the bird and mark the drop but he will still give you the look of amazement when you miss!!

Don't worry about it to much, you might let a few birds pass to your fellow guns ;)

Out of curiosity, what bore is the new gun compared to the one you sold?

Have you changed your hat? That could be another factor.

Yes my cap was a different one. Could that make all the difference? The gun is 12 bore.

Your new gun looks very nice and I can guarantee you will look after it, with the roost shooting perhaps your not compensating for your boots sinking into the soft Lincolnshire soil opposed to the Cotswold stone? Jasper will soon learn to hear the shot contact with the bird and mark the drop but he will still give you the look of amazement when you miss!!

Very perceptive of you. I was shooting on a slope with loose leaves and soil with one foot well above the other. Thanks, that's another excuse that I can use.