Dickson and Macnaughton closure

Blackpowder

Got this from another forum that very shortly Dickson and Macnaughton are to close their Edinburgh shop. This closure will bring to an end a centuries old tradition of gunmaking and repairing in Scotlands Capital City. As far as I can discover that Dickson and Macnaughton are in fact the only gun and rifle shop in the Capital. The firm will continue to work from their premises in Dunkeld where most of the gunmaking staff are currently located.

Blackpowder

Shame but like all business overheads keep going up . Another factor is that parking outside a town center gunshop is not easy ,try carrying 1000 cartridges very fat or even walking through a town with a gun bag can get you some funny looks these days . Sad but its the way its goes .

I believe that they took over the premises when Alexander Henry folded - I contacted them once for details on my late uncles Henry side by side and they held all of the records there! They could tell me everything about my shotgun - it was finished in 1876 - They refused to tell me who bought it though.

Same has happened to Birmingham ..... used to be able to park outside Powells in Carrs Lane, don't know if Carrs Lane still exists. Powells do but down at Banbury I believe.

I remember going to various gunsmiths in Steelhouse Lane with my grandfather, opposite what was the Birmingham Police HQ, Steelhouse Lane Police Station and back entrance to the Law Courts. He parked the milk van outside the shop for an hour, no problem.