advise ideas please

hodge911

thanks for taking time to read this and hopefully shine a light on if my thoughts are wrong or right ...........

ok here goes .

I mate of mine has a savage .243 rifle that he has had for a while and shot a fair few roe with it no problems at all in fact I,ve seen this this rifle group at sub 1" @ 100yds until a few weeks back when for no apparent reason it stopped holding zero and became unusable .

he has not dropped it or anything like that .

the scope mounts were not the best so he went to local gunshop and got a new set of match mounts fitted and rifle bore sighted with his original scope [a hawke sport hd I think] now I know hawke scopes are at the lower end of the market but they have accounted for numerous roe at between 100 - 200yds for him no problem .

he took it to the range he goes to to finalize the zero but with no joy ....so another lad we both know took him to his house and put his bore sighter on it only for it to be a mile out so he adjusted it and on Tuesday this week I took him to my big permission to try and zero it at 100yds but no joy first 3 rounds not even on the a4 size target next three target on a larger board and we did find 1 impact of the three so using that as a starting point we adjusted a few clicks to see the result and hopefully get a group of some sort all be it off target but nope no group well not under 5"

so for the next 2 hours of tweeking and shooting both him and me and nearly 50 rounds no joy .

shoot a group of 3 constantly aiming dead centre of target with the rifle in a bench rest on the bonnet of the car so nice and steady and no way first round then second round would be high or low to the left or the right but no consistency .

so my conclusion is his scopes are goosed and need replacing ........................................or another thought I had which I don't think is the problem is ...is the barrel shot out .....

my next thought is to put his hawke scope off the .243 ont a .22 rimmie and see what its like

does anyone have any other ideas

[no jokes or micky takes on this one please he really does want to get it sorted]

You've changed scopes and mounts so you can rule those out. Has it got a mod on ? Tried without?

All stock screws secure ?

Has it had a good clean ?

Then it could be shot out. But I would have thought the poor grouping would be a little more gradual.

As Dougy said, i would check the stock screws. I once spent a week trying to zero a rifle, everytime i got it wherevi thought it was spot on, the next shot was miles off. I ended up deciding to strip the rifle, as i went to undo the stock screws noticed they were loose so tightenes them all and tried again, got it spot on and it hasnt moved since.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

As above, I had a mod that one of the baffles kept clipping and wouldn't hold a zero it was a loose baffle.

Even a knackered scope when adjusted should fire at least one round on target before the recoil throws it out again. Take the mod off and try shooting a group without it.

You've changed scopes and mounts so you can rule those out. Has it got a mod on ? Tried without?

All stock screws secure ?

Has it had a good clean ?

Then it could be shot out. But I would have thought the poor grouping would be a little more gradual.

sorry I think you have miss read he changed mounts but put his original hawke scope back on

I fell over and the rifle/scope hit the dirt. Not very hard but the scope was all over the place. Zeroed it up, couple of shots and all over the place again. Re Zeroed it up, couple of shots and all over the place again. Upon inspection the bow spring inside of the tube had been slightly reshaped, and we are talking thou, which allowed the image tube to move about causing shift point of zero. I replaced the scope with a Leupold which held zero. But I don't think that it would make any difference at all whether it was a cheap or expensive one. If the internals come loose the scope will not/ can not be consistent and hold position. It is highly unlikely that the barrel is faulty. Even hot types last for thousands of rounds before they get worn out.

I would want to try another scope . This would rule out a lot of anomalies one way or another . A few years ago in had a 270 that was mega accurate I had in a comp shot 12 consecutive V bulls with it at 600 yards . Was out with it stalking one day and addressed a fallow Buck only to see the shot splash 6 feet in front and 3 feet low . This was an enormous miss . Any how after a few rounds seeing where it was shooting it was apparent that the scope had died on me . Put another scope on and back to the accuracy I was used to with this wonderful rifle .

Harnser

From your original post, it seems the only part of his set-up that was changed is the mounts. What rings and bases are they? Is it possible that the rings are not compatible with the bases and allowing the scope to move? This would certainly give you a huge increase in group size.

If you can rule that out, I would then try another scope. As above though, you also need to check the usual suspects, stock screws etc.

From your original post, it seems the only part of his set-up that was changed is the mounts. What rings and bases are they? Is it possible that the rings are not compatible with the bases and allowing the scope to move? This would certainly give you a huge increase in group size.

If you can rule that out, I would then try another scope. As above though, you also need to check the usual suspects, stock screws etc.

new mounts are one piece match mounts by that I mean 1 piece at front of scope and one at rear not a single mount for both front and rear [as in picture].

supplied and fitted by local gunsmith/shop.

please note the picture is for illustration to show type of mounts and not the actual mounts now fitted

post-12398-0-17436500-1495999743_thumb.jpg

Edited by hodge911

Hi Hodge is this the 243 that MH used to have if you need to try another scope i have one thats virtually new been on my 223 its for sale but you could try it if you wanted to...

At the worst it would let you know if the scopes knackered..

:good:

Hi Hodge is this the 243 that MH used to have if you need to try another scope i have one thats virtually new been on my 223 its for sale but you could try it if you wanted to...

At the worst it would let you know if the scopes knackered..

:good:

hi mike bud

no its not that rifle its my best mates uncles

I think we have another scope to try possibly a simmons

but thanks for the offer mate

hope to catch up soon just drop me a txt or ring if you want a bit company with flask and bait of course