Bettinsoli X-Trail am I being unreasonable

Evening Gents,

I purchased the above gun 30 months ago it has not had 200 shots fired through as I purchased if for my son to use when he visits from Scotland which is not very often ,anyway it has been back to RUAG three times for the same repair namely ejecting both barrels when you only fire one barrel.

I picked it up last Saturday from the gun shop in Gt Yarmouth after the 3rd repair and tested it the following day and guess what after 10 or so shots it started to eject both barrels again and it also double fired.

I contacted RUAG yesterday and told them of the problem and they said that I should take it back to GY and have the dealer return it to them for the forth time,I declined and told them that after three failed attempts to repair it and now it has double fired I would like a replacement or a refund,they then said that as I would not take it to GY (80 mile round trip)they could not help.

Am I being unreasonable to ask for a replacement ? The gun has only 6 months warranty left so if I did return it for repair and it continued to fail the warranty would eventually expire and I would have to pay a gunsmith to repair it.

Thanks

This is often a get out by importers etc., I had similar with Seeland with two pairs of wellies. I phoned them to offer friendly advice about what was happening to their boots and they told me to deal through Glasgow Anglers, nothing to do with them. I pushed a bit and then got a letter from their legal dept. OK fine, Seeland no longer exist in my world and their boots are garbage. I would suggest you have a similar situation here. I have also found RUAG none cooperative. Have you e mailed Bettinsoli and told them your not getting satisfaction from their shotgun or the importer in the UK ? I personally think they should be arranging a courier for you to a)transport the shoddy gun back and deliver a new one, or a complete refund.

Keep pushing, best of luck.

Edited by Walker570

Evening Gents,

I purchased the above gun 30 months ago it has not had 200 shots fired through as I purchased if for my son to use when he visits from Scotland which is not very often ,anyway it has been back to RUAG three times for the same repair namely ejecting both barrels when you only fire one barrel.

I picked it up last Saturday from the gun shop in Gt Yarmouth after the 3rd repair and tested it the following day and guess what after 10 or so shots it started to eject both barrels again and it also double fired.

I contacted RUAG yesterday and told them of the problem and they said that I should take it back to GY and have the dealer return it to them for the forth time,I declined and told them that after three failed attempts to repair it and now it has double fired I would like a replacement or a refund,they then said that as I would not take it to GY (80 mile round trip)they could not help.

Am I being unreasonable to ask for a replacement ? The gun has only 6 months warranty left so if I did return it for repair and it continued to fail the warranty would eventually expire and I would have to pay a gunsmith to repair it.

Thanks

hello, if it is still in warranty take it back to the dealer and get a refund. oh i would be just as peeed off as you but i do not think any other choice, make it a day out by the sea :good: give it a few weeks and if you decide to buy a replacement there are far better guns for that money and more reliable

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I am reluctant to criticise anyone's choice of shotgun, but have experience of Bettinsolis, nine of which is good.

Two first time buyers ( both young lads ) were sold Bettinaolis and both had issues with double discharges. After much frustration of the guns being returned only to find the issue unresolved, and much lost time travelling to and from the dealer, both were eventually given full refunds and bought something else.

I would advise you take this route.

This was more than five years ago so perhaps the issues with this make are now resolved, but there will still be many examples of problematic guns out there, of which yours appears to be one.

Three attempts to repair 😞

Tell the shop you reject it on the grounds that it is not fit for purpose. Its ridiculous to expect the customer to keep spending time and money taking it and picking it up. Unfortunately you get the dealer saying nowt to do with me speak to manufacturers however the contract is between you and the supplier / dealer / shop it is up to them to argue the toss with whoever supplied them what is effectively a faulty item.

That's how I see it

The dealer sold you the gun. Ask him how much he would give you as a trade in ( when next it is repaired) against another gun, given that he is aware of its history. His response will be all the answer you need.

Push for a full refund; the gun is not fit for purpose.

Write a letter to the dealer and send it registered post.

Remind them that they took the money for the gun so your contract is with them. You have given them more than reasonable opportunity to rectify the fault and they have failed. You are legally entitled to choose whether you want a refund, replacement or repair.

Whilst the gun is in your possession can you check when the gun was manufactured. It might have been sitting around for some time before you purchased it and Bettinsoli seemed to have double firing issues a while ago.

Good luck.

Mine has had around 400 cartridges through it and I've not experienced the double discharge, I'll check next time I'm out to see if it double ejects after only firing one barrel. I did read about the double discharge before buying it and was assured the problem was remedied, so as Brodie said maybe you have an older one.

hello, if it is still in warranty take it back to the dealer and get a refund. oh i would be just as peeed off as you but i do not think any other choice, make it a day out by the sea :good: give it a few weeks and if you decide to buy a replacement there are far better guns for that money and more reliable

hello, if you bought new and applied the warranty card you have 3 years, so from your post have 6 months left, that being i would insist that the RFD GIVE A REFUND, or the money you paid to buy a different gun , you have a few choices if they say no, like brodie stated would be a good first step, good luck

The original gun shop took your money and sold you a gun with a three year warranty. I would not be messing about with manufacturers or importers. The shop is fobbing you off.

Your contract is with the shop. Ask for a refund or take them to court. Do it now before your warranty runs out.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

Edited by Gordon R

Morning Gents,

Took your advice sent letter to dealer,contacted Bettinsoli direct copied RUAG etc and I have just received a email from Ruag asking that I return the gun to the dealer for a full refund,thanks for your help and advice Gents.

Lucky shot

hello, thats good to hear :good: i am sure there are many of us who have had to return faulty goods including myself and finding like you a complete shut door, look forward to hear what you decide to replace this gun with and hope many years of good shooting

Edited by oldypigeonpopper